Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caster and Camber gain on bump.
F1 Mini

posted on 28/4/04 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Caster and Camber gain on bump.

What is the best caster angle for these type of kits. What is it as standard, has there been any prof that another angle is better etc.

Also what is the standard bump Distance on the front and rear suspension (Bump being compression limit of suspension, not the rebound i.e. wheels of the floor), and what is the camber gain roughly Per Inch bump.

A bit heavy for a first post I know, but am thinking of using your suspension on a project of mine.

Cheers For any help

[Edited on 28/4/04 by F1 Mini]

Bob C

posted on 28/4/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Caster angle - can of worms this, the book says 5.3 degrees but speculation is that it means 5.5degrees BUT the book drawings give 2.8degrees. Cars built by the book have difficulty achieving sufficient self- centring to pass SVA. Most people increase the offset in the top wishbone or move the pivots to get 5.5degrees.
Camber - have a good look at the thread below about "suspension book" I think the stock system has a swing axle length of about 80" but I'm not sure - I'm using different uprights so my data doesn't help.
Cheers
Bob

pbura

posted on 28/4/04 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've modeled the Locost suspension, but looking at my stuff this morning, I decided that it lacks rigor (it was done some time ago, when I was more of a newbie). I had used information on the Cortina uprights that was gained from someone else, was shocked by the big scrub radius that resulted, so I elongated the wishbones to eliminate it. Later, when I learned that the Cortina uprights do produce a lot of scrub, I increased the track, having forgotten what I'd done the first time. So it's wrong.

At the time, my goal wasn't to perfectly capture the Locost, but to get some data for experimentation. I'll fix it soon and post the results.

I don't think the camber results will change too much. I have .77 negative camber produced in the first inch of bump, and 1.22 positive camber generated on the loaded wheel in 2 degrees of roll.

You can search around, but an old rule of thumb for travel is 1" of bump and 2" of droop being the typical limits, as far as I can tell.

For my own planning, I'm using 2" of bump and 3" of droop. This would accomodate a combination of 1" bump combined with 2 degrees of roll, which would be a very extreme cornering attitude for a Locost. Check out some pictures of racing Locosts and you'll see that they don't move much.

WRT camber, try searching on it. There was a big discussion recently about SVA, wishbone design corrections, and various folks' experiences. One fellow used 9 degrees, and was very pleased as I recall.

HTH,

Pete

[Edited on 28/4/04 by pbura]

Pete

MikeP

posted on 28/4/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
You can search around, but an old rule of thumb for travel is 1" of bump and 2" of droop being the typical limits, as far as I can tell.

Pete, do you remember where you got that from? I have the opposite understanding, 2/3rds bump for 1/3 droop. I think I got that out of the Aldan or Proshocks catalog, for measuring/installing coilovers. Made sense to me - the wheel would move more dramatically in bump than in droop, and I'd rather have the unweighted wheel lift than the weighted wheel instantaneously hit a very high spring rate mid corner. Not to mention the bent control arms mentioned in another thread .

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 28/4/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, Mike, you are right.

Pardon my faulty memory; I hate to be a propagator of "net wisdom".

Pete

P.S. Would you happen to have the Locost suspension layout on your website?

Pete

MikeP

posted on 28/4/04 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
LOL, I was worried about me doing the same thing - it kept nagging at me until I went and found my reference on the proshocks site (the aldan site being down right now). There's a table in the proshocks street catalog shows ride, closed and open lengths, 10.5", 8.7", 11.7" as one example.

Yep, my suspension stuff is at:
http://www.7builder.com/SuspensionGeometry/
I've got a cad drawing of the locost suspension there. Make sure you check the notes, there's that 1/8" discrepency problem in the book for which I've made some of my own assumptions.

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 28/4/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Caster angle-wise, unless on the track (and probably not even then!) I wouldn't worry about "0.somethings" of a degree as long as it is equal side to side. I would aim for 5 degrees as a nice figure for this weight of car and layout of geometry. (2.something degrees as the book wishbones give is definitely inadequate and will give rise to low/no self centring plus reduced feedback at the wheel on a car this light)

Cars of several types that I have built in the past used between 4 and 7 degrees caster, mainly dependent on weight, lighter car = more caster.

pbura

posted on 28/4/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP
Yep, my suspension stuff is at:
http://www.7builder.com/SuspensionGeometry/
I've got a cad drawing of the locost suspension there. Make sure you check the notes, there's that 1/8" discrepency problem in the book for which I've made some of my own assumptions.

Thanks, I knew I'd seen it before

Sometime soon I'll hash out the differences and post the Wishbone stuff for folks to see.

Pete

Pete

F1 Mini

posted on 28/4/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds like the right forum for any info I need on my Mini Project. I'm building a full T45 Tube chassis with IRS and IFS, so that's why I'm here ! Picture of car on my flat datumn table. Rescued attachment DSCF0032.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0032.JPG

F1 Mini

posted on 28/4/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
pbura HELP that suspen program, I have down loaded it, and can get it started but nothing seems to happen once i've put the values in. HELP
pbura

posted on 28/4/04 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by F1 Mini
pbura HELP that suspen program, I have down loaded it, and can get it started but nothing seems to happen once i've put the values in. HELP

It's an old DOS program, not very user-friendly Instructions are on the website, and they are esssential.

After you enter your values, it takes you out to the main screen. From there you can do either graphic modeling (cheesy, I never use it) or text modeling. Use your up and down arrow buttons for bump and droop, and the left/right buttons for roll. You can reset by typing 'S' or exit with the space bar.

From the main screen, if you select 'O', it will save your data and modeling values in a text file like the ones I've posted (except for the sub-headings, which I added).

Hope this helps!

Pete

P.S. Do a search for user kb58 and look at his website

Pete

crbrlfrost

posted on 28/4/04 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
It might also be of some consideration that your castor angle should reflect the built in kingpin angle of your upright. The kingpin angle will tend to move the outside wheel toward positive camber as it turns (the greater the angle, the greater positive camber gain), while castor has the opposite effect. On such a light vehicle, relatively large castor angles (7-11deg) shouldn't be to terribly inconveniant in terms of steering effort, but its personal preference. Personally I'm going for 7 as I'm working with low kingpin and I like a relatively light touch on the wheel. Don't know if this helped or not, but its something to think about. Cheers.
F1 Mini

posted on 29/4/04 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
The kingpin angle is normaly set by the chioce of Front upright you use, the choices from the scrap yard being Cortina and Sierra, if you don't want to Buy expensive Westfield/Caterham options.
Is there any other worth a Mention ?

So what you useing as in Kingpin angle and Uprights ?

[Edited on 29/4/04 by F1 Mini]

ned

posted on 29/4/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
From my understanding most people use the donor (upright) car's offset wheels which to me solves the problem. surely it's only if you start messing with the offset/backspace or ad a spacer behind the wheel that the kpi will go out?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

crbrlfrost

posted on 29/4/04 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the kingpin is set by the choice of upright. What I was trying to say is adverse effects due to kingpin can be somewhat compensated for using the castor angle. I'm in the US and found some s10 uprights dirt cheap (although I don't highly recommend them after working the geometry). A high degree of castor isn't a major issue on these light weight cars with stock ratio racks, so it can be used to offset the positive camber gain indicative of kingpin angles when turning. Anyone have any ACAD or Catia drawings of the cortina or sierra upright? Have a good one guys.
F1 Mini

posted on 29/4/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
From my understanding most people use the donor (upright) car's offset wheels which to me solves the problem. surely it's only if you start messing with the offset/backspace or ad a spacer behind the wheel that the kpi will go out?

Ned.

Hi Ned, I think your getting confused between Kingpin Angle, and scrub radius. They are closly linked but I haven't got to the wheels yet. Saying that I can get a 7x15" wheel with 2" of Positive offset, so that should help the scrub radius.

[Edited on 29/4/04 by F1 Mini]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.