Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota damages claims
britishtrident

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota damages claims

From what I see on the Interweb in the states suing Toyota for damages seems to be the growth industry of 2010, a nice little earner for lawyers and families on the make. For a few months I suspect suicide by Toyota or Lexus will replace the other unique American way out suicide by cop.

If you do manage get killed driving a runaway Toyota/Lexus on the freeway and find time to call your wife the truth is if it wasn’t suicide it was death by Darwinian selection you were too stupid to live, you had time to stick your toe under the pedal or knock it out of gear or carefully turn the ignition off.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

andyharding

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
One of those killed who had phoned 911 was in a vehicle he had on test drive from the dealer. I wonder how many of us fully read the manual of a car before a simple test drive and would know how to turn of the ignition off on a keyless car and get it to stop.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
An American woman on the radio this morning said that she was reversing when the accelerator stuck and she ended up doing 100mph. I know that this was an auto but is this actually possible and, if anyone has actually tried steering a car in reverse flat out, what would be the chances of doing anything remotely close to this for any length of time.
alistairolsen

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Id be pulling it out of gear and letting the engine blow before Id risk dying!

No, 100mph in reverse isnt possible normally, reverse tends to be lower geared than first, so 40 max if youre lucky, probably only 25-30.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by alistairolsen]

My Build Thread

02GF74

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
An American woman on the radio this morning said that she was reversing when the accelerator stuck and she ended up doing 100mph. I know that this was an auto but is this actually possible and, if anyone has actually tried steering a car in reverse flat out, what would be the chances of doing anything remotely close to this for any length of time.

Ofcourse it is possible, we all know auto gearboxes have 6 reverse gears, I regularly do 150 mph in reverse.

The only car I am aware of is some old DAF or SAAB - had a variomatic(?) gearbox - basically two pulleys that move in/out to vary the gear - so could do same speed forwards as in reverse, oh, and ofcourse Italian tanks.

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I wasn't sure how the gearing worked in things like top-end Lexi. Thought that the hybrid/Duracell RX things may have direct drive on electric or something.
Don't forget some of the BEC boys do have 6 reverse gears and could do more than 100mph backwards

brianthemagical

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My interpretation of what i'm assuming was the same story is that she was traveling forwrd at 100mph, and then put it in reverse, rather than trying for neutral.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by brianthemagical]

theconrodkid

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
as what BT said,i think people have lost the ability to think for themselves/accept responsibility for their actions and when things start to go pearshaped they imediately ring the lawyers

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

franky

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Basically the American car industry is on its knees. Hence the amount of airtime over all this crap. Toyota sell more cars in the US than American firms as they only make shite cars.

Its just one big conspiracy by the US goverment/car firms as they've been given so much money to bail them out.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
One of those killed who had phoned 911 was in a vehicle he had on test drive from the dealer. I wonder how many of us fully read the manual of a car before a simple test drive and would know how to turn of the ignition off on a keyless car and get it to stop.

If the other option was crashing at high speed and I couldn't lift the throttle pedal or switch the ignition off then I would be on the brakes and getting the car into neutral. The engine will survive a few seconds on the limiter anyway unless it was already on the point of failing.

Seems like there are too many people that simply shouldn't be holding a driving licence if they are that clueless.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by MikeRJ]

bartonp

posted on 24/2/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the brakes are more powerful than the engine anyway? Stall it!
Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp

Try it one day, plant the accelerator and with that foot firmly down plant the brake and let us know how you got on

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brianthemagical
quote:

My interpretation of what i'm assuming was the same story is that she was traveling forwrd at 100mph, and then put it in reverse, rather than trying for neutral.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by brianthemagical]
Ahhh, that makes a bit more sense

JoelP

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp

Try it one day, plant the accelerator and with that foot firmly down plant the brake and let us know how you got on

Im fairly sure the brakes wouldnt work; basically, they might at first but they would VERY quickly overheat and fade.

Ive seen diesels by the road a few times revving their nuts off on their oil, i assume the drivers would stall it as they stopped rather than letting it go on revving til it popped. Since they didnt (on the times ive seen) either the brakes couldnt stall the engine or they were fools.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

brianthemagical

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 205 derv that decided it wouldn't stop so i'd have to put it in first, on the brakes and handbrake and dump the clutch. Worked fine for a bit but then the clutch stated dying. Only ever tried it while stationary though.
DorsetStrider

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about the idea of dropping the clutch in this situation and letting the engine destroy itself...

But in a modern car with a rev limiter would it work? Surely the limiter would kick in the revs would drop, the limiter kicks out, rev rise and we are back to square one.

I suppose with the clutch disengaged it would be possible to use the brakes with the revs going up and down as so bring the car to a halt.

Discuss

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
I've been thinking about the idea of dropping the clutch in this situation and letting the engine destroy itself...

But in a modern car with a rev limiter would it work? Surely the limiter would kick in the revs would drop, the limiter kicks out, rev rise and we are back to square one.

I suppose with the clutch disengaged it would be possible to use the brakes with the revs going up and down as so bring the car to a halt.

Discuss

It's in America where "clutch" is something you do with your hands. No clutch no disengaging gear.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

It's in America where "clutch" is something you do with your hands. No clutch no disengaging gear.

You could always pull the gear selector into neutral - even going into '1' which would limit your speed considerably. Probably not a good idea to go into 'P' though - if it would let you - as locking up the transmission at speed could be... exciting.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Next problem, my mum's Prius has forward, backward and neutral. Not sure if it'd let you go for neutral when you're moving...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.