Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flatshifter setup help!
Gergely

posted on 26/2/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Flatshifter setup help!

Hi, I have a Flatshifter Pro, fitted it yesterday. I have checked the functioning as in the manual - ignition on, see if by moving the gear lever, the green and red LED's light up and beep when changing gear. At first nothing, so I have adjusted the force adjuster. The lights and beeps were almost fine, but still too much force required - ie. the LED's were lighting up after the gearchange when pulling/pushing a bit more on the lever. Some more adjustment done, and this time the beep was not stopping at all...
The first change seemed fine, but the beep stayed on and the LED's then did not come on after this moment...
So adjusted it the other way, the beep went away but the LEDs came on too late again...
I have a feeling that the moving parts inside are sticking, when I adjust it to the low levels of force required, the piston inside can not move back to its correct position... could this be right?

What do you think? Should I lubricate the thing somehow? Should I touch the other two small screws on the shift rod?
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ginger ninja

posted on 26/2/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a flatshifter fitted, worked from staight out the box without adjustment.
Have you tried speaking to flatshifter ?.

Firstly what were you adjusting? the sensor that fits into the linkage, or the actuator box.
I've looked at the build photos, are you still using the paddle shift? you mention a gear level in the posting. How is the linkage connected to the gearstick/ how much travel is there on the gear knob when changing gear? It may be the position where the linkage connects to the gear lever relative to the pivot point wont generate sufficient force in the sensor.
I wiould not recommend oiling the sensor - if it is faulty send it back to Flatshifter.

Gergely

posted on 26/2/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ninja!
OK, I was adjusting the center screw on the shift rod that is mounted in the linkage.
I am using a paddle shifter, I just used the word lever for the sake of simplicity...
It is a cable system, and the Flatshifter rod is mounted right before the gearbox very close to the engine. Do you think it is not the best position?
I will now call Flatshifter...
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ginger ninja

posted on 26/2/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Gergely
I'm not quite getting this
From your description and the photos, correct me if I'm wrong but the gear change cable connects to the rose joint on the paddle plate with an adjustment nut which sits in the bracket on the steering column. The other end of the cable presumably attaches to a bellcrank(or similar) from which there is a linkage to the gearbox with the Flatshifter sensor in it.

The adjustments you have made already, have you done anything to the flatshifter sensor in the gear linkage (Sensitivity adjustment screws are small grub screws with a locknut)?

Frosty

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have never experienced the sticking you speak of.

As for the adjustment though, you need to adjust the rod so the beep will sound at the end of the free play in the gear selection as it starts to firm.

So you would move the gear lever / paddle a little bit which does nothing, and then it becomes harder to move which is the point at which any further movement will shift the gear.

This is what you want to adjust to. Any softer and the flatshifter will trigger in the free play of the gear system. Any firmer and the flatshifter will trigger after you have started to change gear.

Gergely

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys, Thanks for the help. I gave Flatshifter a call, and they are aware of my issue. That is, the lever on the gearbox that we use is quite a bit longer than the original gear lever of the bike, so a lot smaller force is required to engage gear. Because of the difference in force required, I can not adjust the shift rod to such small force. Now I either change the leverage, or send the shift rod back to Flatshifter so they fit a lighter spring and preload for our application. This is what I will be doing, so hopefully that will cure the problem.
Gergely

Our build pictures

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.