Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How tall for revvy madness
Steve G

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
How tall for revvy madness

Evenin one and all

Does anyone have a list of how tall particular (bike) engines are at all?? Thinking from the bottom of the sump to the highest point on the carbs / tb's (top of secondary butterfly servo motor etc) as applicable??

Also, from the bigger motors (900cc plus) - which really need sump mods (or dry sump / wet swinging pickup etc) for track use??

Thinking:-

ZZr1400
ZX12R
ZX10R
Busa
R1
ZX9R

Cheers
Steve

bi22le

posted on 1/3/10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
no gsxr or cbr? I know the new fireblades are very tall and hard to fit in. No measurements, sorry

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

progers

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G

Also, from the bigger motors (900cc plus) - which really need sump mods (or dry sump / wet swinging pickup etc) for track use??

Steve

All engines will need some kind of modification to run in a car, whether they be wet sump or dry sump. As a minimum they will need a sump baffle, and most engines (R1 excepted) will need to sump pan modified or replaced by a billet ali version to reduce the sump depth - many of the engines have very deep wells built into the sump as standard.

The line between wet Vs dry sump varies depending on intended use of the car and the specific engine.

There is no simple answer, just tell us what engine you fancy and I (and others) can be more specific about what you can and can't do based on its intended use.

Cheers

Paul

Steve G

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well my favourite has got to be the Kwak ZZr1400 but not sure if it'll be too tall. The sensible option seems to be ZX10R. I did think GSXR1000 but believe they really need a dry sump to last on track (as found out by Stuart Taylor motorsport) so cant see any advantage of the Gixxer over the ZX10r there to make it worth the £1000 investment into the dry sump.

Isnt the CBR1000rr very tall compared to many of the others??

progers

posted on 3/3/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

I would not discount the GSXR1000 as the main reason ST had problems was that they were using early K engines with a poor sump design. In the US these engines are used in lemans type racers and single seaters and they have been run successfully on wet sumps. Only consider K5/6 or K7/8 versions though

A good wet sump design is available from Rilltech racing (do google search) along with baffle plate. If it can survive 3G on a slicks and wings car it should be fine in your application.

10r is also a good engine (and compact) Andy at AB performance has a modified wet sump design for that car. Again later engines are better.

These would be my choice of 1 litre engines. You are right about the CBR1000rr being very tall.

Can't comment of the ZZR1400, great power but the larger the engine the more prone it is to oil surge. I wouldn't use such an engine without a dry sump.

Cheers

Paul

Andy B

posted on 3/3/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Basically what Paul said really although we do a billet sump for the 1400 now.It is a complete kit of parts that also relocates the oil cooler plate. To date we have supplied lots including to some dune racers in Dubai who are jumping ridiculous distances and landing on their noses - no probs to date, and keeps the install as low as possible
Regards
Andy

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Early K1-K4 GSX-R1000's aren't too fragile either with a proper sump, they're plentiful, cheap and squat. If you're trying to squeeze a lump in somewhere very tight, the GSX-R750 isn't one you should overlook. It screams, man it screams, and makes for a very 'involving' drive. It's great.
Latter GSX-R's (1000 and 750) are stupidly small, especially the newest stacked gearbox jobs. You can't really bore/stroke them though without very bad consequencies, it's all just far too minimal in there.
I (personally) didn't like the larger engines, they didn't do it for me, but then I graduated to a car from a bike (after the wife started crying *before* (not waiting until when) I crashed.

All my words are my own real experiences (and 3 ASWMC Sprint Championship titles), take with a pint (or three) of something from the Hop Back brewery, as I am now....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.