Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Protecting Paintwork From Exhaust Heat
chris_harris_

posted on 1/3/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Protecting Paintwork From Exhaust Heat

I need some sort of heat shield for my bodywork, to protect the paint on the front panel, as it sits about 9mm away. This is the front pipes as they come from the engine bay and so they are a bit hot when running!, it will only be fairly temporary as i plan on getting a new system made later in the year or in winter. Just don't want to waste my time painting it up then watching it peel off.

i was thinking of a piece of THIS or maybe THIS sandwiched behind a pice of 1mm polished stainless, will this protect though.

Regards Chris

Steve G

posted on 1/3/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you wrap the exhaust instead??
chris_harris_

posted on 1/3/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I could do, but it doesn't look too pretty,and i don't want to increase the exhaust heat too much either.

Regards Chris

joemotion

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a square of that silver exhaust foil on mine as it was taking the paint off! i could do with a purpose made shield or something that looks a little better - any ideas anyone?

To be fair it took the paint off when i didnt have any exhaust wrap on so would prob be ok now i have some but still cant reverse the paint damage

chris_harris_

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Joe motion, has the heat pad worked then, has it reduced the heat enough to stop the painting damage.

Regards Chris

joemotion

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
well i would say yes however i cant see behind it now - i got some chunky carbon effect heat wrap for th exhaust and went up to the join of the exhaust can. dosent look as nice as a nice shiny exhaust however mine was grey in anycase so dosent look bad at all

i wouldnt mind a carbon effect rectangular protection to stick on with some sort of nice trim - does anybody know of anything?

MautoK

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted an aluminium panel between exhaust and body to pre-empt any problems.
Here's a not-very-good pic:

I can take a better picture if anyone wants...
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

joemotion

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
i reckon a nice piece of carbon fibre or carbon effect plastic may do the trick

its lower than yours as the exhaust comes our the lower panel and not the bonnet and has scorched from the exit point up the side 30 cm or so but principle would be the same

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.