Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Little gits
BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Little gits

Someone's cloned my credit card

Did a £10 oxfam purchase yesterday and a £8 today and this AM...

wham

£380 purchase from Fragrances Direct.

Just trying to get them to tell me the delivery address so I can go round with the boys and practice my bone un-setting skills.

As usual CC company have been okay about it and cancelled everything suspicious...

carpmart

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Where do you thing they got your details?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

lotusmadandy

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Dirty thieving filthy scumbags

They need thier hand's cutting off.

Andy

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Barstewards. get the Police onto them for fraud ( if you can prove it was them that is)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
Where do you thing they got your details?

Who knows. Credit card has taken a bit of a battering recently in the house move and it's been given out to quite a few different skip companies, van rental companies etc etc. I'm not saying it's one of them but it's certainly seen some action recently!!

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
i got some fraud on one of my cards around christmas, but i'd not used the card since about this time last year. could have happened anywhere

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Could happen anywhere, wonder what the two purchases at Oxfam where!!
Jaybeee

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Normally they do a couple of charity donations to test the card!! We had something at work about CC Companies refusing payments for this reason while making donations to Haiti Disaster Appeal!!

BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybeee
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Normally they do a couple of charity donations to test the card!! We had something at work about CC Companies refusing payments for this reason while making donations to Haiti Disaster Appeal!!

Yup, I suspected as much. Just hope they bought something good.....

speedyxjs

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
This seems to be happening all too often nowadays.

Its a bit strange that the first thing they do after cloning someones credit car is to spend £18 at oxfam

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Bluemoon

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
This seems to be happening all too often nowadays.

Its a bit strange that the first thing they do after cloning someones credit car is to spend £18 at oxfam

Not really it's probably done on-line, just to see if the details work before exacting a large amount of cash.

Dan

BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, especially as you don't need the home address (see the Clarkson thing where he gave his card details and someone took a load of cash).

Some completely stupid companies let you buy stuff from them with an incorrect invoice address (ie they only ask for a delivery address).

David Jenkins

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still waiting for them to distribute those new cards - they have a keypad on which you enter your personal number (only known to you, not the ATM PIN). When you've done that it gives you a once-only card number to use as you see fit. If some low-life tries to use it elsewhere it will get rejected.

It exists, at least one bank (Barclays?) have said that they're interested - but I've heard nothing since...

blakep82

posted on 3/3/10 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I'm still waiting for them to distribute those new cards - they have a keypad on which you enter your personal number (only known to you, not the ATM PIN). When you've done that it gives you a once-only card number to use as you see fit. If some low-life tries to use it elsewhere it will get rejected.

It exists, at least one bank (Barclays?) have said that they're interested - but I've heard nothing since...

but now barclays have come out with this thing where you just wave your card at the til and you don't need to put a number in or anything. how is that secure?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
It's not but it's small amounts of cash only so they work on the principle it's not worth worrying about. In the same way that credit card companies don't usually bother getting the police involved to investigate CC crime. Just cancel the card and send out a new one....
trogdor

posted on 3/3/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
That card waving around thing is only for tranactions of £12.00 or less. Low risk stuff. No different to the M6 toll i guess where you only have to put your card in, no PIN required.

I think barclays have that one shot card number. We have a little device that looks like a calculator at work that you put a card in and it generates some number for you. I don't use it so am not 100% sure what it does......

BenB

posted on 3/3/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
That card waving around thing is only for tranactions of £12.00 or less. Low risk stuff. No different to the M6 toll i guess where you only have to put your card in, no PIN required.

I think barclays have that one shot card number. We have a little device that looks like a calculator at work that you put a card in and it generates some number for you. I don't use it so am not 100% sure what it does......

Natwest make you use a card-reader for online banking. Works quite well although the crappy little card-reader obviously has an EEPROM in it (cos it has a counter) and its make on the cheap in the RoC so it probably also has a nice little bit in it which remembers the PIN

Jasper

posted on 3/3/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Had my business debit card cloned a few weeks ago, took £1600, all back in my account now. I've got the guys details too

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.