Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would you intervene?
twybrow

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Would you intervene?

Just drove home from work, and just 1/2 mile from home I saw a chav at the side of the road, slamming a dog's head into the tarmac, and whipping it repeatedly with it's lead....

I was outraged enough to reverse back down the road, and confront the group. I asked if they really thought that was the right way to treat an animal. The chap dishing out the beating was like 'its my f***ing dog so I'll hit it if I want'. He went on to say that it was 'eating sh*t' so it deserved it. I said he was talking sh*t and perhaps therefore the best course of action was for me to whip him (being 6' 6" and having a skin head does help here...). Fortunately, he didn't pull a knife on me (rural Worcestershire for you!), but I did question afterwards if I should have stepped in (on my own). What would you have done?

001Ben

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure, probably run the little scote over. Seriously though well done for stepping in there is never a need to treat an animal in that way
graememk

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
about 6 years or so ago i took a dog from a customers house as they were treating it badly, it was a little cross ugly thing that my mates mum still has, i caught the owner kick and hit he dog. however i'm 6'1" and fat, lucky the guy was a wimp so yes good off you to stop, but i would of taken the dog as well. as it wil happen time and time again untill the dog attacks.

BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would have filmed it on my mobile and sent it to the local police and the RSPCA and made sure I got a nice facial shot of the person doing it.....
twybrow

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
When driving along, filming was not exactly on the cards! I did think about trying to take the dog, but I felt that was one step too far (plus I have 2 cats!).
dave-69isit

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
intervean

yep the chav needs to learn thugs have no respect for any thing the dog will turn if it lives long enough
zilspeed

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Just drove home from work, and just 1/2 mile from home I saw a chav at the side of the road, slamming a dog's head into the tarmac, and whipping it repeatedly with it's lead....

I was outraged enough to reverse back down the road, and confront the group. I asked if they really thought that was the right way to treat an animal. The chap dishing out the beating was like 'its my f***ing dog so I'll hit it if I want'. He went on to say that it was 'eating sh*t' so it deserved it. I said he was talking sh*t and perhaps therefore the best course of action was for me to whip him (being 6' 6" and having a skin head does help here...). Fortunately, he didn't pull a knife on me (rural Worcestershire for you!), but I did question afterwards if I should have stepped in (on my own). What would you have done?

Well done.
You did what you knew you had to do.
You probably also did what you wouldn't now do having had time to think about it.

If that makes sense.

I once stopped the car and manhandled the drunk off the road and told him to stop arguing with the cars and get himself home and straighten up.
That's the closest I've ever been to getting involved.

Other than the time I found myself directing traffic and phoning loved ones after witnessing a car crash.

Or, come to think of it, the time I saw some blokes harrasing a girl, turned the Transit I was driving and chased the cnuts with the van. It was late at night when all sorts of stupidity can happen.

Other than that, and with hindsight and clear thought, I ususally avoid trouble like the plague, I'm the biggest woose you're ever likely to encounter.

You did the right thing.
I'll probably be roundly vilified for this, but I reckon if you're able to do what you did, that's what makes us a society rather than an uncaring rabble.

[Edited on 2/3/10 by zilspeed]

speedyxjs

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
B*stards

I think you did the right thing confronting them but you have to be so careful with guys like that as most of them do tend to carry weapons (i know that for certain!)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

JonnyS

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Up to 3 lads I'd have confronted them. Any more and I'm not sure
Richard Quinn

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of them now actually use the dog as a weapon! These people have no respect for human life, never mind that of an animal. Should get them down to the vets to have their knackers off. If that doesn't work they should be put to sleep (the chavs, not the animals!)
twybrow

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
....I just remembered one more bit - when he said it had been eating sh*t, I probably shouldn't have answered with 'well that is only really a problem if you intend to kiss it straight afterwards'. Oops.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
four or five years ago NSDev and I saw a bloke on the floor gettting a kicking (at about 5:30pm, we'd just got fish and chips).

We pulled out, shouted and ran in. They saw us and ran off. Waited around till the ambulance and the blokes wife came round (strangely she almost started giving him a beating!)

Would i do it on my own - no. Would i have done it if i'd thought about it, probably not.

Would I have stopped for the dog ..... I hope I would. The g/f wouldn't be able to live with herself if she didn't.

Well done - now please report it to the RSPCA. You never know if they already know the person and are waiting for one call to act.

StevieB

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Closest I ever got was when I was out with a mate when we were let out of barracks for the night.

We were just leaving a club and heading back via a riverside path when my mate took off ahead and gave a mouthful to 3 lads and walked off with a young couple. He left me to deal with the aftermath of the 3 enraged lads.

I didn't have a clue what was going on but knew my mate wouldn't have done something like that for no reason, so I stood my ground. I figured all I had to do was last long enough until my mate got back to help out - 2 of my superiors were not far behind either.

In the end I just told them I can either sort them out right there and then, or they could winf their necks in and come for a kebab - which they duly did (once they figured out we were Army, they changed their attitudes quick time).

Turns out my mate heard them being a bit lurid towards the girl then threatening towards the lad - all the couple wantd to do was get back to a taxi and finish their night peacfully. My mate told them all he basically didn't have time to mess about with them, but they were quite welcome to discuss their problems with me if they wished.

I wouldn't have ever done any such thing with non-squady mates though - I at least knew Bob had the balls to back his mouth up rather than just leave me in the $hit.

DM

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fortunately, he didn't pull a knife on me (rural Worcestershire for you!),

I live in one of those parts of southeast London where, sadly, you'd be ill-advised in taking that chance. Round here I'd have kept out of it but well done you for stepping in

dlatch

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
this is one thing that i can't abide (animal cruelty)
i would have confronted them no matter what.

people fighting well thats another story would only get involved if i knew people involved ie: friends/family

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well done. Would also call the RSPCA and Police and report him.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

TimC

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Mate - animal cruelty of an kind drives me nuts.

I would probably have got a kicking - looking like the milky-bar kid as I do. I do punch above my 10-year-old-features though so I'd have had a go... the problem is that I don't ever think about these things - had a mate get bottled once and went wild and also saw a guy slapping around his girlfriend on a night out and myself and another guy held him down until BiB arrived.

I guess that attitude can easlily get you killed but you do what you do... what was that song from school? "Would you walk by on the other side... etc."

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I wouldn't have ever done any such thing with non-squady mates though - I at least knew Bob had the balls to back his mouth up rather than just leave me in the $hit.

Funnily enough, the last mate I'd trust to back me up is my forces-mate. He's built like a brick-outhouse and an absolute liability in these situations. Let's hope he's a it more savvy when in Afghan!

[Edited on 2/3/10 by TimC]

scootz

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done mate...

I would have done the same... I detest bullies and have a history of (sometimes ill-advisedly) putting myself in the firing line!

Won most, lost some, but always got my point across!

It's Evolution Baby!

perksy

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
First off, Well Done for standing up

Trust me, if i would of been there i'd of been right by your side
Can't stand any form of cruelty to animals and have 'voiced' this many times (including the Westfield boardroom )

As far as anything else goes, i once saw a Lad trying to break into some cars on our street and gave chase, Cornered him until the police arrived
Afterwards you think "What If ? "

But once the adrenalin kicks in you just do what you think is right...

Irony

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Good for you mate! Congrats on being a little bit of a hero!

jacko

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well done mate next time kick the sh-t out of him

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Would have done exactly the same even to the point of questioning myself afterwards if it was wise, I often act 1st think after on occasions like this.

YQUSTA

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Good on you mate.

If it were me I couldn't say I would have stopped (cos I'm a skinny wimp) but I would have phoned the fuzz and parked at a distance to watch them and follow if they moved on.

Ian

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

A1

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
good going, far too often people dont stant up to these people. cant stand cruelty to animals.
add me to the sterilise the chavs list by the way.

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have bothered speaking to the little scrote, just FHU.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.