Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how big can you go with wheels?
skinned knuckles

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
how big can you go with wheels?

whats the biggest wheels anyone on this forum has fitted to a sevenalike? i was looking at the donky pics that were posted on here a couple of weeks ago and they look fairly substantial. since its a donkyalike i'm going for i was wondering how big you can realistically go?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

tegwin

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its going to depend on your gearing a LOT... go too big and a normal diff +box would just be very slow to accelerate...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

skinned knuckles

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Its going to depend on your gearing a LOT... go too big and a normal diff +box would just be very slow to accelerate...

i will be going for a custon diff that wouldn't take the car much beyond 80mph on a circuit with track wheels and tyres on it, but plan to fit bigger wheels and arches for road use, i was thinking about 18- 20" for the road as i'm not too worried about the performance on the highway ( not too many spare points left now.)

MikeRJ

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
20" wheels on a '7'? Unless you have a king size version like a Viento, it would look completely ridiculous and it certainly won't do either performance or handling any favours at all (and why else would you want a 7?).
craig1410

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Big wheels and ultra low-profile tyres will give you a very twitchy car. I wouldn't go below 50 profile on a seven. I am running 195/50 15" myself.

Big wheels also increase unsprung mass and increase rotational inertia, both of which are not good.

But it's your car so feel free to ignore my advice...

ReMan

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

i will be going for a custon diff that wouldn't take the car much beyond 80mph on a circuit with track wheels and tyres on it, but plan to fit bigger wheels and arches for road use, i was thinking about 18- 20" for the road as i'm not too worried about the performance on the highway ( not too many spare points left now.)

Dont know what engine your using, but I think your underestimating your track speed? Stick to normal wjheel tyre combos and save the custom diff money methinks

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Gotta be 22"s with spinners innit...

skinned knuckles

posted on 5/3/10 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Gotta be 22"s with spinners innit...

now you're taking the p155

the last donky i saw was running 18s and looked good, not cartoonish and that is the look i'm going for. the only reason i mention the 20s is that i believe the chassis i'm building on will be bigger than that of the donky and therefor to keep the same effect maybe up the wheel size.

Steve G

posted on 5/3/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
LOL cracking thread. I think you'll find the biggest wheels fitted on this forum will be 17" and imho nobody in their right mind would have fitted bigger (for the reasons mentioned).

OK - so you arent right of mind and want to go for the pimped up look - i think we'd all love to see a picture of your 20" wheels and 25 profile tyres. You'll be needing gold teeth to complete the pimped up look within a few months as yours will have all been rattled out by the ride - trust the LCB Massive - it'll handle like a complete pig and be uncomfortable to drive.

PS Yes i'm taking the wee (and its all in good nature) - but seriously, do you really want the look of hooooooge wheels over any sort of driving pleasure??

MakeEverything

posted on 5/3/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
whats the biggest wheels anyone on this forum has fitted to a sevenalike? i was looking at the donky pics that were posted on here a couple of weeks ago and they look fairly substantial. since its a donkyalike i'm going for i was wondering how big you can realistically go?

I think youre on the wrong forum!!!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

smart51

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I work in the truck industry so have access to 22.5" rims. You can get some with a nice polished chrome finish and they're lovely. They don't go for low profile tyres much, which spoils the look a bit. Also, the 8 - 10 bar inflation pressure is a bit much. You can get massive brakes under them though.

Frosty

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
LOL @ this thread. I think anything bigger than 15 in both looks stupid and handles poorly on a 7 chassis.

Just my opinion though.

Strontium Dog

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Lol! The words tram and line leap to mind!
scootz

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
You can go as big as you like... all the downsides of going too big (anything over 16"s for me) have been pointed out in this thread, but the choice is yours!

Pick a size you fancy and give it a go... you can always change them if they don't work out!

It's Evolution Baby!

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I think the largest fitted, so far on this forum, are those on BJ928's Viento. Although this is not on the road yet AND it does have V10 Viper power. (550ish bhp and 650ish ft/lbs torque)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

speedyxjs

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have 16's with 55 profile tyres. I do know of someone who had the same size wheels and put 22's on instead (same rolling radius) but that was on an XJ6 not a 7.

I think mine would look a bit wierd if i put 22's on

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

SPYDER

posted on 5/3/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
My friend had 17's on his Indy with 40 profile tyres IIRC.
He said it was a harsh ride, even on relatively good surfaces, and breakaway on cornering was instantaneous.
He has 15's on his new westie.
It would seem that opinion has it that 15's are the biggest advisable size if you wish to maintain good handling characteristics.
I quite like to see 13's on older kits, early westies, caterhams etc.
Geoff.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/3/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Is this what your building?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=22416&pid=180920mj

Macspeedy ran big wheels for a time and they were crap, weighed a ton and transmitted every road ripple through your soul.
If you drove over a two pence piece you could tell if its heads or tails.

Dutch car design is going through the chav stage.....just one look at the spyker tells you that.

[Edited on 5-3-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mcerd1

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
most dax's use 15" on a 50 profile, 16" on a 45 or 17" on a 40

I went for 16" on mine, but thats mainly because its so hard to get wide 15" tyres these days

-

cd.thomson

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear,

got 17s on mine through necessity

looks like that will be a "winter upgrade"

after I finish uni for the second time...

Craig

adithorp

posted on 5/3/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Don't listen to them, put the 20"s on! You'll certainly look like a donkey and we'll all get a good laugh.

adrian

ps. We had a jag in yesterday with 255/35/20's on it. We could hardly lift them. Priced up some Dunlops for them... RRP £321+fitting, balance+VAT...each!!! (though we could beat that by -30% all in)

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

speedyxjs

posted on 5/3/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
ps. We had a jag in yesterday with 255/35/20's on it. We could hardly lift them. Priced up some Dunlops for them... RRP £321+fitting, balance+VAT...each!!!

Il be sure not to go to 20's then

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

TimC

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Eyes, bleach; pencils, nose.....

Oh, sweet relief... what was I reading again?

mcerd1

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
oh dear,

got 17s on mine through necessity

I wouldn't worry about it unless you think the ride is too harsh
(I've only been in a rush with 17" and it wasn't bad at all)

when your at stoneleigh see if some will take you out for a spin in a CEC rush with 15"/16" wheels that'll give you the idea

-

zilspeed

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
13"

Anything else is just wrong.

[Edited on 5/3/10 by zilspeed]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.