Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: internal doors
AndyW

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
internal doors

hello all,

Im real stuck. I need to put doors on my dinning room and kitchen. There are currently no doors on any downstairs room. Was like that when i moved in. Trouble is I now want a kitchen door and dinning room door. BIG problen is all the doors I have seen are 78 inches high. All my door frames are 76 inches. I do not want solid doors as too much money. Problem is can I cut down a cheaper door by 1 inch on top and bottom. Here is a link to the doors I want

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knotty-Pine-SA-Interior-Door/invt/205600?tapopen=cm

Any help and advice appreciated.

ta

Andy

austin man

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
they are solid top and bottom so it shouldnt be a problem, try buying ones with damage on either end you should get them cheaper as well

[Edited on 6/3/10 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

JoelP

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
b&q sell real pine doors for £20, is that not cheap enough?

Can tell you how much you can take off the hardboard doors though, sorry.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

zilspeed

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Doors like the one in the link are a wee bit tricky, especially if looking to take 2" off like you are.

a properly built door will have a shoulder on the mortice & tenon joint and you risk loosing that by taking everything off the bottom rail.
Also, the bottom rail is always large than the top rail. If you take 2" off the bottom rail, it'll look very odd. You might get away with maybe 1 1/2" off the bottom rail and 1/2" off the top rail depending on the construction of the door.

If you're willing to go to flush panel doors, it's much simpler.
Cut it to the height you want, even if that includes completely losing the bottom rail, measure the thickness of the door core between the panels on each face, get some finished red pine to this thickness then give it a does of PVA to both sides, slide it in and use a couple of panel pins to each side to secure it. The alteration will be nigh on invisible.
That's how we do it in a joiners shop.

[Edited on 6/3/10 by zilspeed]

mr T

posted on 6/3/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cut 12.5mm of top and 37.5mm of bottom everything will be OK they have dowels holding the joint together. The only thing with these door is they really need toughened glass , that makes it an expensive door
andyharding

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I bought some of the solid pine doors from B&Q. Then my mate showed me some oak veneer they got for less money that looked much better IMHO. Think they came from JTF.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.