One of the others / don't know

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinion Poll
smart51

posted on 9/3/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Opinion Poll

There's been a bit of fuss lately about opinion polls. There has been a steady 6 point lead of Con over Lab which hasn't changed despite various "controversies" that newsists have whipped up. To see if we Locostbuilders match the national average, I thought we'd have a little poll of our own.

If there was a general election tomorrow, who would you vote for:

speed8

posted on 9/3/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Unanimous then (or however it is you spell it)
ali f27

posted on 9/3/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
sad to have to say but i dont think we have many quality mp on any side to interrested in the press we are in this mess because of poor management for 40 years right across all partys
BenB

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not a true cross-section of society though
The scary thing is that most people are saying it will be a close election.
How sick must the UK voters have been all those years ago of the conservatives that even after such a long time, old fibber-pants Blair and an unwanted war, years of an unelected and hugely unpopular Brown as PM and a major depression (which many blame on him) the tories are still struggling to get into power!

MK9R

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I honestly think it will be a hung parliament, as i think a lot of people will vote for the small independents in a protest vote. So we may see the conservatives side with the raving loonatic party to get that 50.1% of votes

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
A party doesn't need a coalition of 50% to form a government. If a coalition can't be made then the biggest party has to attempt to run a minority government. In such a case, the ruling party can't introduce the loony laws that they could if they had a big majority. Sounds like a good idea to me. No compulsory ID cards for example.

MK9R

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
A party doesn't need a coalition of 50% to form a government. If a coalition can't be made then the biggest party has to attempt to run a minority government. In such a case, the ruling party can't introduce the loony laws that they could if they had a big majority. Sounds like a good idea to me. No compulsory ID cards for example.

Really, i didn't know that!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
The polls dont tell you a lot:
In the last election only 60% of the registered voters bothered to vote:
of those
37% (=22% of the population entitled to vote) to labour gave 55% of the seats
34% tory only 31 % of seats
and 22% lib dem - 10 % of seats.

If the Tories only get 1 or 2% more votes than labour, labour will still form a government with an overall majority.

Hugh

Jon Ison

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote

This one makes me giggle to.........

But the one to beware of is this one........

[Edited on 9/3/10 by Jon Ison]

[Edited on 9/3/10 by Jon Ison]

fesycresy

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I need help lads, I need some advice on who to vote for. I'm looking for a party with the following credentials:

1. a strong leader who will take no sh1t off anyone

2. who will throw out all the illegals and deport any immigrant who breaks the law

3. death penalty for peado's

4. sack all the worthless goverment officials who take back-handers and duck houses

5. look after the front line staff, nurses, firemen, teachers, doctors etc

6. give the police more powers to kick the sh1t into pond scum chavs

7. if we are to stay at war at least give them better gear and money or get them home

8. declare war on France

OK I might relent on the last one but worth a shot. Any idea's ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

MakeEverything

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
They are all full of shit, and complete shysters, so i dont have the confidence to say that my vote willmake a difference.

Sad really, given all those people that died to allow me to vote, yet the people we vote for let us all down.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

smart51

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Minority governments are very prone to votes of no confidence. If they loose a confidence vote, a new election is called. They don't tend to last too long then, because as soon as the other lot think they can win a new election, they call a no confidence vote for the fun of it.

smart51

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
If the Tories only get 1 or 2% more votes than labour, labour will still form a government with an overall majority.

Not true. Their current 6% lead in the polls, if it were translated into a general election, would only give them 3 more seats than Labour. They would be the largest party but with about 37 seats short of an overall majority. Something more like an 8% or 10% lead is needed to win outright.

tomprescott

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had to choose "one of the others/don't know" because I think all of the major parties are overly homogeneous, both in policy and lack of integrity. I'm probably going to vote for the green party, they will probably never get into power but at least if they did, they would do what they say they would do. There isn't a single party that I would actually want in power though.
TimC

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
Its not the same since my Dad John finished.

Disclaimer: the above statement may not be a true reflection of the individual's original post.

[Edited on 9/3/10 by TimC]

alistairolsen

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
In the current situation I will be spoiling my vote.

There is not one single party that represents my wants in a political party and that's before you breach the issues of trusting them!

I have not and will not ever vote labour even if my life depended on it. The conservatives are the obvious alternative, but too big a majority would be harmful and Im not a huge fan of cameron.

I guess the best outcome from my point of view would be a conservative majority but not enough to pass anything without cooperation from the others.

[Edited on 9/3/10 by alistairolsen]

My Build Thread

smart51

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
In the current situation I will be spoiling my vote.

There is not one single party that represents my wants in a political party and that's before you breach the issues of trusting them!

But is there one party you dislike more than the others? Tactical voting is when you vote for the candidate most likely to beat the one you want to keep out of office. Sometimes that's a better use of a vote than giving it to the candidate you like most, if they're unlikely to win.

Think of a policy you really want to avoid becoming law. Think of who you think will do most damage to the economy. Vote for the party most likely to defeat them in your constituency, even if it is the SNP or UKIP or someone.

[Edited on 9-3-2010 by smart51]

alistairolsen

posted on 9/3/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
that tactical vote would be tory, but a tory landslide is almost as bad!

That said if they get a landslide majority we will get 4 hard years while they try and put the economy back on its feet before the fickle uk public decide life is far too hard and the cycle begins again.....

My Build Thread

twybrow

posted on 9/3/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Spoiling your vote is a bit of cutting off your nose to spite your face. The goverment, and the political parties won't give a rats ass if you spoil it (it is the same as you not getting out of bed), but your vote could make all the difference in deciding an outcome (think US presedential election). We live in a democracy - for all our sakes, don't take that for granted.

If there is genuinely no way you can decide, because you feel none of the parties represent your views, then I suggest you start a party that does!

alistairolsen

posted on 9/3/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK spoiled votes are counted in themselves when it comes to the percentage turnout so it's infinitely better than not getting out of bed.

I have absolutely no interest in starting a party of my own, the problems in this country run far deeper than the party in power and their agenda.

My Build Thread

Fozzie

posted on 9/3/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can I add one to your list fesy?

Who will take us out of the commie state of Europe

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

tomprescott

posted on 9/3/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
Its not the same since my Dad John finished.

Disclaimer: the above statement may not be a true reflection of the individual's original post.

[Edited on 9/3/10 by TimC]

omega 24 v6

posted on 9/3/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
1. a strong leader who will take no sh1t off anyone

2. who will throw out all the illegals and deport any immigrant who breaks the law

3. death penalty for peado's

4. sack all the worthless goverment officials who take back-handers and duck houses

5. look after the front line staff, nurses, firemen, teachers, doctors etc

6. give the police more powers to kick the sh1t into pond scum chavs

7. if we are to stay at war at least give them better gear and money or get them home

8. declare war on France

Given this statement I would change No 6
"to kick the sh*t out of"

Also this has given me an idea see my new Post re fesycresy's manifesto

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

zilspeed

posted on 9/3/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
'kin ell lads...

Never thought there would be so many Crazy Dave supporters...

Going by the votes cast so far, I suspect there haven't been many votes cast north of the border.
(And I didn't vote the way that a large number of my countrymen would be likely to, so let's get that one out of the way. Or the way that a lot of you did either...)

smart51

posted on 9/3/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Never thought there would be so many Crazy Dave supporters...

Me too. I didn't know there were that many in total.

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Going by the votes cast so far, I suspect there haven't been many votes cast north of the border.

The border being from Lincoln to Worcester. That or everyone else is still at work. Nationally, the current polls are

CON 38%
LAB 32%
LIB 18%
OTHER 12%

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.