Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cherry bomb ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 1/5/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
cherry bomb ?

Alright Max Power jokes all over ?

page 214 - 215 of the 2003 demon thieves catalogue has some nice looking black silencers. The badly named "D.I.V.E.R" is reasonably priced. The repackable silencers are also reasonable too.

Anyone had any experience of the Cherry bomb or other Custom Chrome stuff. From my uprating "mini" stage I can only remember that Cherry Bombs were very loud ?

[Edited on 1/5/04 by givemethebighammer]

NS Dev

posted on 1/5/04 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
my memories are much the same!!
phelpsa

posted on 2/5/04 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Twin cherry bombs on a capri 2.8i.
Beautiful sound.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 2/5/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Had one like that too! They were fun weren't they!!
craig1410

posted on 2/5/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Demon (Nick Smith IIRC) about these and they said that they were quieter than the Jetex Turbex which I eventually went for. Of course this may actually have meant that they were higher margin than the ones I went for so don't always believe the salesmen.

I'd tend to look more at the overall length and diameter as this will have more effect on the acoustics than the label I'd expect, assuming of course that they have both been designed half decently. I'm building a Rover V8 3.5 litre Locost so two of these turbex's will hopefully leave me with a nice deep V8 burble. Even better if it is less than 101dB... Also, for SVA, make sure that the silencers have all the right radiuses and will therefore by physically SVA friendly as well as (hopefully) acoustically friendly.

Cheers,
Craig.

phelpsa

posted on 2/5/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Someone at the robin hood place at stonleigh today was selling a Cherry bomb silencer about a foot long. Now if you wanted a loud car thats the one to have.

By the way, best deal I got, 12" elec. fan £30 from SVC. Saw the same fan on loads of other stalls for £55.

Adam

[Edited on 2/5/04 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 2/5/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Won't completely rule out the cherry then. Bt you say longer and wider = quieter, make me think again on my options.
craig1410

posted on 2/5/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Longer and wider "generally" means quieter but be careful because every exhaust will have acoustic properties which will be more effective at silencing at different RPM. The SVA test is conducted at a specific RPM and if you are unlucky then it may just coincide with the poorest silencing of a given silencer. Unless you have detailed information about the engine's sound output and the knowledge/equipment to model the silencer then I don't think there is much that can be done practically to guard against this so I think you have to put it in the hands of Lady Luck. The silencers I bought are 625mm long and 125mm diameter with a 3" bore. I intend to use 2" pipe for my main pipe and so I will have a 2" to 3" step up just before the silencer. I am hoping that this will slow down the gasses even more and allow the silencer more time to absorb the sound energy. Again, luck will be required I think...

Cheers,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/5/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
a cherry bomb is basically a 'glass pack' isnt it?

Thats a strait thro pipe with holes in the side into a wadding stuffed cylinder.

granada back boxes - which I used - are like that, and on my car its really quiet even in the garage.

I think its flow rate and length of pack that has a lot to do with it.

atb

steve

[Edited on 2/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

David Jenkins

posted on 3/5/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a chat with the man at Chromerzone he'll make you a cherry bomb, DIVER or side-pipe with as much or as little silencing as you want - usually for the same price as standard.

David

stressy

posted on 3/5/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Custom chrome chromozone 7

I have one of these for sale at the moment which i have taken off my 2L pinto. Its a 5" repackable maincase with what i believe are rereferred to as D.i.v.e.r internals. It basically has a 2" perforated pipe which instead of being straight through has alternating baffles through it, they are at angles, perforated and each baffle covers about half the open tube space.

I fitted this for sva as it had all the right curves, it got through OK on noise, it is quite loud with the throttle open, but it has a nice tone to it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.