Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welder Advice
mcg

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Welder Advice

I'm building an F27 in a rented garage, and after one too many noisy sessions using a generator for electricity, a nice neighbour has offered to run an cable from his flat down to the garage. We are coming to some arrangement with the cost etc.

Chassis is mostly finished (bought that way), but there is some welding that I need to do. Thickest of which will be the mounting plates for the roll bar which also hold the upper mounts for the rear shocks.

What welder would be adequate for most jobs on a kit project? Should I not bother with a welder that needs a higher current supply than the standard 13A coming from a house? Are people that build own chassis etc using a standard MIG that runs off a 13A household supply, or are 'special arrangements' needed?

Cheers

Matt

tomprescott

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've done all of my welding using thre normal 13a house supply, everything seems solid enough!
twybrow

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just be aware that a long extension cable, and a lot of current being drawn is a bad idea...!
BenB

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
A good extension lead will easily take 13A (if uncoiled) but you will get some voltage drop if it's a long cable and if it's coiled 10A is usually max.

My wife recently melted my best cable drum by leaving it coiled on the drum and running 2* 3000w heaters off it I still cry myself to sleep at night....

MikeR

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
[cough]

but you can get away with it!

[cough]

Get a 'GOOD' extension cable - thickest you can, make sure its got the highest wattage rating on it possible. If the choice is saving a pound or two - spend the cash.

Make sure the welder is plugged into a socket thats decent - doesn't have other stuff plugged into it (ie is part of the ring and not a spur). Fully unroll the cable.

Go for it.

(its what i may have done many times. For normal welding i do have other stuff running off the same socket but if i go to max power i plug into the cooker socket. Reality is the cables are designed to carry more than 13 amps, usually 15. 13 amps is the fuse protecting the cable. If you're careful and stupid you can go over 13 amps (With fuse still in) and get away with it. I usually make sure after every minutes welding i let the welder and cables all cool down. when i first started doing this I used to grab the cable to see how warm it was. Now i don't bother. )

blakep82

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
A good extension lead will easily take 13A (if uncoiled) but you will get some voltage drop if it's a long cable and if it's coiled 10A is usually max.

My wife recently melted my best cable drum by leaving it coiled on the drum and running 2* 3000w heaters off it I still cry myself to sleep at night....

sounds like reasonable groungs for divorce

also bear in mind, if you do end up blowing a fuse, sods law it'll be the fuse in the extention cable. maybe use the electric supply for most things, but discuss reasonable times for using the generator for welding

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

James

posted on 11/3/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Could you quieten the generator at all?

Fit an exhaust silencer?

Dig a hole and put it in there? This is what we did when camping at Donnington once and running laptop and projector.

Have a screen between the generator and the flats? Might take a few decibels off it.

Just a few quick thoughts!

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ironside

posted on 11/3/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I scratch built my car and did everything using a Clarke MIG160EN. The official spec is that this requires a 15A supply but I just put a normal 13A plug on it and it was absolutely fine, even when running it at the highest possible power setting.

I did every bit of welding on the same fuse, via an extension cable without blowing anything. Apparently the fuse is most likely to go if the wire feed jams but this didn't happen to me.

HTH,

Davey D

posted on 11/3/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Lincoln 250A Mig welder. I ran it on a 16a plug but could only use it upto 1/2 power. Ive since had a 32A supply and plug fitted, and i can now run it at nearly max :-/

ive also got a 200A ac/dc tig welder, and that is fine upto max power on the 32A supply

avagolen

posted on 11/3/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Folks, how about running 2 extensiion cables and making a lead with 2 13 amp plugs on one end and a 15 amp socket on the other?

Just a thought.

Must ensure that both adaptor plugs are in before switching the extension leads on.....

[Edited on 11/3/10 by avagolen]

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 11/3/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Hi Folks, how about running 2 extensiion cables and making a lead with 2 13 amp plugs on one end and a 15 amp socket on the other?

Just a thought.

Must ensure that both adaptor plugs are in before switching the extension leads on.....

[Edited on 11/3/10 by avagolen]

My compressor often blows 13amp fuses probably 1 in 30 starts, i have considered this a couple of times, but common sense and not wanting to get me or someone else electrocuted has always stopped me.

Paul

mcg

posted on 6/4/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice - picked up a Clarke MIG 135TE last week and got it going this weekend. Fortunately no issues at all with blown fuses etc. Still learning my way to make pretty welds but it certainly has done the trick. The difference in productivity between no electricity, and now elec + welder is crazy!

Thanks again

matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.