Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help does anybody know how BMW washer jets work
sonic

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Help does anybody know how BMW washer jets work

Hello all
I have a 3 series E46 model and the passanger side windscreen washer jet does not spray,drivers side ok.
On inspection i have pulled the water pipe off and it is getting water to the jet,however the jet itself seams to be some electric type must be heated but it won't spray water any ideas.holes not blocked i ave checked

Thanks

jambojeef

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
got 2 hoses going to the underside of each jet or 1?
sonic

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
One black plastic pipe,pulled it off and squirted water out when activated
Mark G

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
The jet is blocked, the wires are only for heating when it is cold. Try blowing the jet through with compressed air from the top side.
sonic

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried that and it blew air straight through so thought it was clear,i am now wondering it there is something inside the jet getting pushed back in when the water preasure is applied.
jambojeef

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Non-return valves inside the jet stuck/distorted?

THat was the prob with mine

sonic

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys i will have to take it out of the bonnet and see it in more detail.i didnt know if the electrical connections had any cause for the fault

thanks

robocog

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Surely can only be a blocked jet if water is feeding to it?
Been using fairy liquid instead of proper screenwash?
Alternately with finger over the inlet to the jet get someone to operate the washer to see if there's a split in the pipe that only opens when tubing gets pressurized?

On our E46 they must be heated as they did work even in the freezing ice we just had
(our recently replaced E36 was seemingly very prone to freezing)
I really hope they haven't done anything wierd with the jets on this car
Already got a duff oil level sensor, and had the catalytic heater upper air blower air diverter valve thingy jam open

Damned modern cars with their electrical gizmo's!

Regards
Rob

owelly

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure they're the same as the ones on my Rangey. One of those got blocked and it was some sort of rubber device inside the jet that had got itself pushed-up into the hole. Take it all to pieces and if the rubber bit fecks-off into a nearby hedge, just put it back together without it and it will work fine. Well, mine did anyway!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locostbuyer83

posted on 12/3/10 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had to buy a replacent jet for my e39 and from memory it was something like £70!

locoboy

posted on 13/3/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
good old land rover / bmw making things way more complicated than they ever needed to be.

ATB
Locoboy

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just disconnect the pipe ---- clear the jet with a fine needle then blow it through with an airline to back flush the debris out, then reconnect the tube.

The wires are for the heating element to help stop it freezing.

[Edited on 13/3/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sonic

posted on 13/3/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well here is an update guy's

Removed the jet completely from the bonnet,plenty of water coming out of the water pipe supplying it.
Put an airline on it and blasted it ,nothing passing through it in either direction.
The jet body is splits into two pieces and inside is a small spring and in the part the pipe connects too is a small hole with a very small piece of red rubber in the middle,everything was clean with no sign of dirt blocking it.
put the air line on the water infeed and nothing getting passed this piece of rubber at all.
So i turned the preasure up and blasted that piece of rubber into orbit and put the hole thing back together,now it works great with lots of water preasure on the screen.

I have no idea what this piece of rubber and spring were ment to do,maybe a none return or something but to be honest i aint bothered as it works a treat now.

Thanks for the replies

Ninehigh

posted on 14/3/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
This reminds me I still got a pair of funky multi coloured led washer jets.. I was going to put them on my Astra when I got them but their jets are under the bonnet... I'm going to have to dig them out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.