Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you take BT or Virgin Media at court?
l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Can you take BT or Virgin Media at court?

Hi All

following my adventure at moving house and Internet being Installed on the 11th last week, I am now on the phone with them as they have C0kked it up and now they ask for another 7-10 day before they connect me.

Now, I was not called or informed of anything and i have been calling them since to find out why.

I have since spend Saturday and Sunday at work in order to get internet which is 30 min away from home.

Can i take them to court?

Also, all these days that I haven't been connected, I have to use my mobile phone to call my wife while I have a Skype account and call her for free.

What should i do? DO i have a case?

flak monkey

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
All depends on their terms and conditions.

Are you already paying for a service they havent provided?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

blakep82

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
i doubt they'd be a case there really. internet isn't a right. its a priviledge. i know you need it to contact your wife while she's away, but i don't think thats any grounds for a court case.

without knowing any details of what you were doing at work and what you needed the internet for, sounds like personal use, in which case, its your choice to drive the 30 minute drive.

you can tell them yo'ure really disappointed with the service and expalin to them the problems its causing you and see if their complaints procedure will offer any compensation/discounts

edit: is there a mcdonalds near you? they usually have free wifi if you have a laptop

[Edited on 15/3/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I was with them,

I now moved and because they have to connenct me through dial up connection provided by BT, I have called in and asked to continue my services with them.

I was told, I would be connected on the 11th.

Due to a BT stupidity, they haven't done so and now the ask for another 7-10 days as they had to start again.

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i doubt they'd be a case there really. internet isn't a right. its a priviledge. i know you need it to contact your wife while she's away, but i don't think thats any grounds for a court case.

without knowing any details of what you were doing at work and what you needed the internet for, sounds like personal use, in which case, its your choice to drive the 30 minute drive.

you can tell them yo'ure really disappointed with the service and expalin to them the problems its causing you and see if their complaints procedure will offer any compensation/discounts

edit: is there a mcdonalds near you? they usually have free wifi if you have a laptop

Don't even know as i am new to the area, I have been really busy and i need the internet to find everything.

Also, I need internet, as the flat is unfurnished, I need to look for furniture, I need to get access to files from work etc...

blakep82

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-locator.shtml

love how mcdonalds call them 'restaurants'

anyway, type your town in and it shows you where they are and if they have wifi. presumably you have to buy something

i understand your situation, but how ever did we manage before internet?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

will121

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
friend runs local garage, had problems with BT when just upgraded account lost phones or 2 days, internet for a week and 2 false call outs for alarm company. was a nightmare getting anything from them, in the end stomped up for false alarm costs and nomimal discount on next 3 months costs. think issue was proving loss of business and expences for any court case. think BT and others know it!!
Hellfire

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Makes you wonder how people managed to do anything before the world wide web and mobile phones were introduced.

Take them to court because you don't have an internet connection? Are you really being serious?.............

Phil

[Edited on 15-3-10 by Hellfire]

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i doubt they'd be a case there really. internet isn't a right. its a priviledge.

Wrong! Access to the internet is now considered a human right by the European Men in Grey.
Source: Panorama tonight.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I am serious.

They said that i would have internet on the 11 last week.

They are breaching my contract.

If i knew that I would have to wait for that long, I would have gone for another provider.

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your original question;
Yes, you can take anyone to Court.
The question is, can you afford to do it if you lose?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

blakep82

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
i doubt they'd be a case there really. internet isn't a right. its a priviledge.

Wrong! Access to the internet is now considered a human right by the European Men in Grey.

so does that mean that if i'm downloading all sorts of illegal stuff off the internet and i'm cut off by the ISP, they breached my human rights? wtf is the world coming to?!

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
To answer your original question;
Yes, you can take anyone to Court.
The question is, can you afford to do it if you lose?

Small claims court.

I think i can afford it.

tomprescott

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Europe and the US seem to get further and further away from pragmatic thinking every day, there are no human rights - it's all just social construction! Wish I had the guts to be a 1%er!

Edit to add: Sorry for the hi-jack, I'd be surprised if you got anywhere with it, but might be worth trying anyway, what have you got to lose?

[Edited on 15/3/10 by tomprescott]

A bird in the hand....

Hellfire

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
So does your contract state that you would be connected on the 11th? I seriously doubt that you'll find a breach in the contract.......

Phil

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
So does your contract state that you would be connected on the 11th? I seriously doubt that you'll find a breach in the contract.......

Phil

That is what it was said on the phone when i called them.

I can even prove it

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=131032

Hellfire

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
That's not proof, that's what you have typed. Does it state this date in your contract?

I appreciate your frustration and I'm not intentionally trying to wind you up but I think the whole 'take them to court' thing is ridiculous.........

Phil

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
That's not proof, that's what you have typed. Does it state this date in your contract?

I appreciate your frustration and I'm not intentionally trying to wind you up but I think the whole 'take them to court' thing is ridiculous.........

Phil

Well, This is the post that i did when i heard of it.

A verbal agreement is a contract.

On the email it says on the 11th or later, but i was not informed of that as i got access on the emails on the 11th.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Is it april 1st today

Im sure theres more to worry about than having no internet conection

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

blakep82

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Well, This is the post that i did when i heard of it.

A verbal agreement is a contract.
Yes, but proving it is another matter!

On the email it says on the 11th or later, but i was not informed of that as i got access on the emails on the 11th.
er, yep, 11th OR LATER. you have that in writing

l0rd

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well

I am at work because i cannot access my files.

I have been here since 8 in the morning

Shouldn't i be upset?

stevebubs

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I find it quite liberating not having access to the internet....I love power failures, for example, as it means the kids can't watch TV or anything so we have to spend time together.

Only downside is when they go on too long and the freezer thaws out

Instead of lamenting the lack of internet, find something else to do (build/make something....go read a book....take a walk....go down the pub...?)

[Edited on 15/3/10 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well

I am at work because i cannot access my files.

I have been here since 8 in the morning

What files are that important that you have to be at work at such an hour?

quote:

Shouldn't i be upset?

Perhaps....it's always disappoint to be let down when you're looking forward to somthing. However, please use this time to consider *why* you want access so badly....is it *really* that important?

[Edited on 15/3/10 by stevebubs]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/3/10 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes I am serious.

They said that i would have internet on the 11 last week.

They are breaching my contract.

If i knew that I would have to wait for that long, I would have gone for another provider.

You have no chance in court with either VM or BT....secondly if you went with a DIFFERENT provider they would have to use bt for the LLU so you wouldn't be any better off.
What you will get out of VM is 3 months grace discount or similar.
From the sound of it you moved from a cabled area to a Off net area with leased lines......
sorry BT /open reach have the cards and thats just the way it is.
Surprised you are suffering with out a net connection as there are dozens of mr netgears and mr belkins all open to the world...

[Edited on 16-3-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

TigerB6 Paul

posted on 16/3/10 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
It'd seem a whole lot quicker and easier to get yourself a dongle for emergency use.

As said above by Hellfire etc - you need proof, and a LCB thread isnt proof. You could try it in Small Claims Court but what do you stand to gain other than a tiny pittance of compensation which you'd probably get anyway going through their complaints procedure in the way of discount for a month or two.

Doesnt solve your immediate problem anyway - thats why i'd say PAYG dongle for now

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.