Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 16/3/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Compatability issues

Hi all computer experts (again!)

Recently decided to ditch Vista due to many issues i've had with networking it. But that's another story...
The problem I now face having ditched Vista is that i cannot access my external usb raid hard drive as XP says it's not formatted. I can see it in my computer but not the size etc. And when I try to access it, it says it's not formatted and do I want to format.... NO! As it contains about 800gb of my aerial photos, formatting is not an option! All I want to do is make XP recognise it and be able to access the photos. All my single external drives work with both XP and Vista.
I know I can re-install Vista and it will work but i really want to avoid this if possible and would like it to work with XP.
I've Googled the problem to no avail so thought i'd ask the knowledge base on here who never let us down...
(Tried tweakUI by the way and can 'see' the drives but not access the files.)

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

Jubal

posted on 16/3/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just a guess but did it come with a disk / driver for the RAID functionality? Go to the manufacturer's site and see if there are any downloads. As it stands the XP system may not be "seeing" the drive the same way i.e. as a RAID volume.
IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 16/3/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
No it's done internally, you just set jumpers for the type of raid required..

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

RichardK

posted on 16/3/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I believe vista uses a slightly different version of ntfs file system so xp will not see it.

How about getting a free copy of virtual pc Linky and installing vista on to that and then you are able to copy accross on to the host machine (xp)

Bit of a mess around but would work without risking your data.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 16/3/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of a puzzle I am pretty sure it is a driver issue know from experience RAID arrays can be tricky when major changes are made to systems.

Runing Vista in a virtual PC is one way out (Sun VirtualBox is far and away the best and it is free for personal use) but because Vista is very greedy on system resources you will need oodles of memory to run Vista in a virtual PC.

So that leaves either upgrading Windows 7 or booting from Linux CD and archiving the data to another disk or DVD.

We switched away from USB hard drives for archives and backups because we found them a bit unreliable, we now use only NAS drives which can be read by any operating system and have a uSB socket if required.

[Edited on 16/3/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.