Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: half size snooker table.
skinned knuckles

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
half size snooker table.

i have been storing a 1/2 size snooker table for a friend of my brothers for around 5 years now.

i don't really speak to my brother a great deal any more and havent seen the friend for around 2 years.

at what point do i just assume ownership of this table? it is really heavy, having a slate bed around 1" thick (breaks in to 3 peices but each piece is a 2 man lift) and is becoming a bit of a hinderance. the lad who officially owns it put it in to my care when he was getting a devorce and he didn't want the new boyfriend to play with it.

think its worth a few quid so am considering selling it on. any takers?

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Steve Hignett

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I'd do it, but then I don't know the full story...

How much would you want for it?

blakep82

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
sounds fair to sell it. maybe just be prepared to give him the money if he ever asks for the table back lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

skinned knuckles

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeah, forgot to mention that the lad who owned it is a solicitor

mookaloid

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to make contact with the owner and ask him to either move it or agree a course of action. If he rolls up a week after you have sold it and demands his table back, you might have to buy him a new one!

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Steve Hignett

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
oh yeah, forgot to mention that the lad who owned it is a solicitor

Oh, DEF sell it and then say you've never had it if he asks...

Liam

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I should imagine in the strict legal sense you'd be committing an offence if you just assumed ownership and sold it. Surely it's not too much of an effort to ask your bro to ask the friend? If you make a reasonable effort and no response then go ahead and sell it imho (to recoup your storage fees!).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd get in contact (via the brother) and tell him to shift it, give a reasonable length of time.

He's probably forgotten he ever had it to be honest but when he remembers you don't want any barrister mates on your case.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

antimony

posted on 16/3/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Find out if it really is worth anything.
I've heard that pubs and clubs struggle to get rid of old snooker tables, most are broken down and the slate pieces sold.

skinned knuckles

posted on 16/3/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antimony
Find out if it really is worth anything.
I've heard that pubs and clubs struggle to get rid of old snooker tables, most are broken down and the slate pieces sold.

think this one is a bit better quality than your average pub table. very old by the look of it. solid turned wood legs (looks like oak) good chunky rails, the expensive type cloth etc.

speedyxjs

posted on 16/3/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Id also get hold of the freind and tell him (nicely ) he either takes it back or you going to sell it on.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

andyharding

posted on 16/3/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
How about...

Dear (insert owners name),

As you may recall I have been storing your snooker table for the last (X) years while you went through your divorce.

Unfortunately it is now in the way and I would like you to collect if at your earliest convenience.

If you are unable to collect it then I am willing to arrange the sale and disposal on your behalf for 50% commission.

If I do not receive a reply within 30 days I will assume you no longer want the snooker table and will dispose of it.

Kind Regards

Joe Bloggs

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Jon Ison

posted on 16/3/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Or how about, I offer to store it for free, would be perfect in the office at work.............

skinned knuckles

posted on 16/3/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Or how about, I offer to store it for free, would be perfect in the office at work.............

i had similar thoughts about it 5 years ago for a spare room in my new very big house. i even re-inforced the floor to take the weight. but the arrival of our 2 little girls and my wifes forever growing photography business meant that it got used at least 3 times before it became a dumping ground with it being in the only un-designated room in the house. you have no idea of the work involved in getting this thing up to the top floor of my house

Brommers

posted on 16/3/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a read of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 and in particular Schedule 1.

You need to send a notice to the friend saying you're not prepared to store it for him any more and that he should collect it. The notice should comply with paragraph 1 of Schedule 1. If he doesn't, send a notice complying with paragraph 3 of Schedule 1. If he still doesn't collect it, you're entitled to sell it, but you'll have to account to him for the sale price, less the costs of selling it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.