Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Beginner Advice (sorry its so long!)
dai1983

posted on 3/5/04 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Beginner Advice (sorry its so long!)

Hi, just joined as I found the site looking for info on 7 style kits. I have a few questions. I’m thinking of building a kit over the summer and winter ready for next year.

I originally had a Tiger Avon or E1 kit in mind as it was cheaper than a Westfield kit and comes as a complete package for 3k + donor. Then I learned of all the problems with the Tiger kits from this forum and am not so sure. I’m really interested in the Indy kit as it looks good quality and also the GTS kit as I haven’t seen many (also a bad thing as no useful feedback available from previous builds) and there seems to be some special looking components for such a cheap kit. Both of these kits seem like good value and will help me make a start to my build. In an ideal world though I would have a complete Leugo kit but I haven’t got the cash for one.

I’m planning to use the engine from the donor sierra then update to a C20XE Vauxhall, zetech or bike engine when I get bored and have more cash available.

I heard that the pinto engine sierras are the best to use, but if I were to update in future I’m not sure weather the exhaust would have to be relocated to the opposite side of the car (I know that it does on the zetech). I know that the exhaust on a cvh engined car comes out on the opposite side to the Pinto so I’m thinking of using a 1.8 cvh sierra instead. Problem is that I’ve not seen many cvh engined kits and I’m not sure if this will be as straight forward as using a pinto engine.

Any advice on choice of kit and donor would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Mk-Ninja

posted on 3/5/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
David welcome to the mad house

You are right about the exhausts on the pinto, and several people have used the cvh engine succesfully (Surrey Dave to mention one).
I would try to go for the engine you want to end up with especialy if you want a BEC. It will keep things simpler and even if the exhausts are on the same side they can come out at different positions.

Your choice of Indy and GTS is sound both good suppliers with many satisfied customers.

You should get many comments of which way to go, just take it all in and make the best choice you can.
Have a good time building, theres loads of help on here just post it.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

dai1983

posted on 3/5/04 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome!

I suppose it is common sense in starting with the engine i want in the long run. If this is the case i'll have to look at budgetting for the engine that i want. I should have 3.5k to start off with (hopefully enough for basic kit + donor + engine) and then save up for fancy bits

I think i'll definately have to chose from a car engine as bike engines are too expensive.

Really like the GTS kit but a lack of finished examples is putting me off.

TPG

posted on 3/5/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hello.I've used the 1.8cvh engine in mine purely for the reason it came free with a free Sierra and it was/is in good condition.Saved the funds y'see.Start cheap,Spend what you save on the engine on good quality suspension(GTS,Gaz etc).

..Which was nice..

hurf69

posted on 3/5/04 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I am also a begginer in the kit car world . I have asmall budget and want to build a luego velocity as the boys down there are great and i have asked about abit and everyone seems to say they a the dogs balls . If Any one can give me any idea on cost and what bits are best to buy in the kit and which i can find elsewhere that would be great

Cheers

dai1983

posted on 3/5/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
hurf69,

I also looked at the velocity kit on the site and it looks good quality. The full kit is 5k + vat ( at VAT). Also need a donor car + engine + wheels.

My budget can't stretch that far so im thinking of either 2k on the MK or GTS (or possibly 3k on the tiger E1 comprehensive kit that is similar to the 5k leugo) starter kits + donor + other parts to complete.

By doing this i'll have more hassle finding parts to complete it but i think it'll be cheaper. Alslo ill be able to save for bits as im building it instead of a 1 off payment.

To go the luego route, a similar starter pack would include the packs 1-4 on the luego website. These total up to 2.8k + vat and you also need the other parts such as an donor etc. Nothing wrong with doing this but i cant afford the extra cash.

I also think i could pick up a lot of things 2nd hand or car boot sales.

Not sure if it helps but that what i'm planning to do on a budget.

David

I love speed :-P

posted on 3/5/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dai1983

Really like the GTS kit but a lack of finished examples is putting me off.

I wouldnt, mark and darrens stuff is very good qual, and from what i have seen (quite a bit) the 7 kit is very very good, and if there are any problems mark will always sort you out

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 3/5/04 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get to hung up on a complete kit. If I was doing things again I would look at getting a rolling chassis sorted first with engine and running gear then source other stuff as I went along. As you build you may want to do things different to the parts you got at the beginning. Sourcing the parts is half the fun!
dai1983

posted on 3/5/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
zetec- Thats what im planning on doing. Ill buy enough to get a rolling chassis and body built then get the rest as i can afford it. Think my previous post is confusing, sorry.

The pictures on the gts site do look good but it would be encouraging to see a complete example. Ill just have to visit a few shows in the comming months to see things first hand.

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/04 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi!!!

A few comments, I think you are definitely right about the exhaust routing. The pinto is about the only engine I know of with the exhaust that side. Certainly the Vauxhall XE (which I am using) has the exhaust the same side as the Crossflow/CVH.

I was also worried by the lack of finished examples of the GTS kit, even though it looks excellent!!

I was debating the same as you but decided on the Stuart Taylor motorsport "kit" for the chassis/body. I like the use of the original narrow track width and the considerable competition pedigree this car has, not to mention the fact that many of the local "pub meet" locosters have Stuart taylor based cars.

Getting the XE engine under the bonnet may be interesting (ST favour bike engines I think) but Caterham did it in a very similar dimensioned car so I can too!!

CairB

posted on 3/5/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Add the Ford Duratec 4 cyl to the list of engines who's exhaust come out the same side as the pinto. It'l be on the list of upgrades as more become available and the cost of installation drops.

Cheers,

Colin

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell Colin, I am learning a lot from you today!!!! Are you sure on this? That means the engine is the opposite way round to virtually everything else out there!! Though I don't dispute it if that is the engine you are using!!!
CairB

posted on 3/5/04 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, see DuratecPerformance for photo - the induction is on the LHS. Don't look too far down at the 1000+hp tho

This forum is very good for sharing info isn't it?

Cheers,

Colin

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh, I am enlightened!

It is pretty good isn't it!

A bit of bull byproduct around now and again but you get that everywhere.

Cheers for the info, have to say I am not really up on the latest developments on the Fordy engine front!!

Cheers again

Nat.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.