Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hybrid lobro/tripod joint failure??
BEN99W

posted on 18/3/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hybrid lobro/tripod joint failure??

I know a few members are using rear ends with a hybrid of lobro joints inboard and push-in tripod joints out board. Has anyone experienced joint failure with such a hybrid set-up.

I have recently adopted this set up only to have it fail after about 100 miles (both tripod and CV shattered) but I suspect this was because of a duff CV.

Before I fix it I want to know if my experience was a one-off or if the concept is flawed...

Cheers

Ben

andyharding

posted on 18/3/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I started building this solution and abandoned as I decided the concept was flawed.

The tripod joints need to be in compression to work properly, the lobro joints are designed to be floating so one way other the other one of the joints is not being used as designed.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

adithorp

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
As said above the Sierra tripod joints are spring loaded so rely on the 2 ends acting against each other and centralising.

I have Sierra outboard and Freelander inboard. Both tripod joints but the Freelander aren't sprung. That resulted in both joints being pushed fully inward towards the diff'. This meant that the joints were at the max of thier movement giving play in the Sierra one (bearing almost out of the joint) and noise from the Freelander (bearing hitting the bottom of slots). I modded my outer joint with an extra spring (between the plastic cup and tripod) so that it centralised itself. Result are good with less noise/backlash.

adrian

PS. welcome to the madhouse.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by adithorp]

[Edited on 18/3/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression the bolt on lobro stubs are easily removed from the Sierra diff (circlip on the inside?).

Wouldn't it be easier to do that and use tripode CVs both ends of the driveshaft?

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I was under the impression the bolt on lobro stubs are easily removed from the Sierra diff (circlip on the inside?).

Wouldn't it be easier to do that and use tripode CVs both ends of the driveshaft?

This only works if the diff is non LSD.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

nick205

posted on 18/3/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

This only works if the diff is non LSD.

I am now further educated

BEN99W

posted on 19/3/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
So it doesn't look like anyone else has had this fail, (although admittedly none has said they're using it without problem either).

However it has just occured to me that my car was mot'd almost immediately prior to the failure and they put it onto the rollers for the brake test which I don't think you're supposed to do with an LSD.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/3/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEN99W
However it has just occured to me that my car was mot'd almost immediately prior to the failure and they put it onto the rollers for the brake test which I don't think you're supposed to do with an LSD.

You can as long as you keep both rollers going. How many miles had you done before MOT?

BEN99W

posted on 20/3/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote

You can as long as you keep both rollers going. How many miles had you done before MOT?

Both rollers were not kept going - individual wheel braking checked seperately. The MOT man has subsequently said that if it was a problem, the wheels slip and the car jumps around.

I'd done about 50 miles since doing the conversion.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.