Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F**&ing thing
BenB

posted on 19/3/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Very strange. Hope you get it sorted! It certainly sounds like the air is getting in there somewhere..... You're running NA at the moment I assume? The TBs might not appreciate being force fed I suppose if you're hooked up the blower. But I suspect you'll be wanting to get it working properly NA first!!

Is the timing right? It could have nothing to do with the roller bodies- something like a mix-up re timing could cause a high idle.

MakeEverything

posted on 19/3/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Try fitting the filter and inlet plenum. The further flow restriction may reduce the air into the rollers.
Personally, it sounds like the inlet ports are too big for the engine, so restricting the inlet by use of a filter or restrictor makes sense.

What do you think?

I know that putting a filter onto the carb on the Dutton made one hell of a difference and it suddenly stopped running rough.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

sebastiaan

posted on 19/3/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
The rollers are leaky. Everything points in that direction. Question: do you still have the MAP lines connected to all 4 barrels? If you do, then that could be a cause for your higer (well, a bit higher) idle. Reasoning for this is as follows: the 4 cylinders do not draw air in at the same time; roughly one of them is sucking at once (4 strokes, 4 cylinders...). By having the barrels connected, every cylinder is effectively (through the MAP hoses!) sucking on 4 (slightly leaky) barrels, and thus sucking on 4 times the "leakage area". Plug up the MAP takeoffs and see what happens with the motor running (for now) in alpha-N mode. If this helps and as an alternative to running speed-density, you could always use an airflow meter to determine load.
boggle

posted on 19/3/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
surley your map feed line should come from one point on the manifold???

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle

If you only take the MAP feed from one cylinder when using individual throttle bodies then you get a very rough, pulsing signal that is of no use.

Sebastian makes a very good point with the MAP feeds though, what sort of diameter are the pipes you are using? I would definitely try his suggestion of blocking them up and running under Alpha-N if you haven't already.

flak monkey

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I am using 4mm vac hose for the MAP feeds. I have tried running under alpha_n and it made no difference.

As an update to this I have spoken to Raceline this morning and decided to order a set of DTH 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies. Conventional style. They should be with me tomorrow morning. Their opinions on roller barrels seem to match with quite a lot of others and they have seen a few. All in all very helpful people to talk to and they were very interested in my project.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

boggle

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by boggle

If you only take the MAP feed from one cylinder when using individual throttle bodies then you get a very rough, pulsing signal that is of no use.

Sebastian makes a very good point with the MAP feeds though, what sort of diameter are the pipes you are using? I would definitely try his suggestion of blocking them up and running under Alpha-N if you haven't already.

sorry....was thinking plenum thoughts, not individual ports....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

sebastiaan

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I am using 4mm vac hose for the MAP feeds. I have tried running under alpha_n and it made no difference.

David,

Also with the 4mm MAP hoses disconnected and plugged per cylinder (by stuffing a 6mm bolt in each hose?). the problem is the amount of air entering the engine, not the control strategy. So just switching to Alpha-N will change nothing if the engine hardware is not changed at the same time.

BTW, I think it's a good move to go for conventional TB's. Expensive experiment though.

[Edited on 19/3/10 by sebastiaan]

flak monkey

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan

Also with the 4mm MAP hoses disconnected and plugged per cylinder (by stuffing a 6mm bolt in each hose?)

BTW, I think it's a good move to go for conventional TB's. Expensive experiment though.

I have given up with the roller barrels. I have no more time for messing around with them. They may well work on another engine, but not on mine. As long as the Jenverys arrive in the morning I will get those fitted. And yes its a VERY expensive experiment!

Knowing my luck I will have the same trouble with the Jenveys as its some other underlying problem somewhere! If there is I give up.

[Edited on 19/3/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

stevebubs

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If i did go down the jenvey route I would leave the injectors in the head anyway and blank the ports in the throttle bodies and use them for MAP take off.

I dont really want to smear loads of grease around the rollers, they are meant to be run as they are (I have a copy of the Cosworth Duratec engine build manual and have followed it to the letter). All that would tell me is if there is air leaking past the barrels.

I did get some rough readings with the synchro when I first fired it up, and th readings were around 6-7 on the scale, which is high for idle, this is also without a proper seal on the synchro. The pinto would normally have idled showing 3.5-4 on the scale, so there seems to be more air being pulled in.

3-4 is what I'd be expecting so it looks like your excess air is definitely coming in the trumpets...

Ivan

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Just to make you feel better - if the barrels where leaking that much what would happen if you where making full boost and came off the throttle - would the leak under boost with a closed throttle just keep you going rather than slowing down...... Sort of the opposite of boost lag....boost persistance. Not much fun entering a corner

Maybe you are better off with throttle bodies.

stevebubs

posted on 19/3/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If i did go down the jenvey route I would leave the injectors in the head anyway and blank the ports in the throttle bodies and use them for MAP take off.

I dont really want to smear loads of grease around the rollers, they are meant to be run as they are (I have a copy of the Cosworth Duratec engine build manual and have followed it to the letter). All that would tell me is if there is air leaking past the barrels.

I did get some rough readings with the synchro when I first fired it up, and th readings were around 6-7 on the scale, which is high for idle, this is also without a proper seal on the synchro. The pinto would normally have idled showing 3.5-4 on the scale, so there seems to be more air being pulled in.

Why not 2 sets of injectors? you can get better granularity at the low end then....

goaty

posted on 19/3/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
wow....missed this thread.
cant believe it david, didn't hink ti would beat you. Did you try greasing them up??? have cosworth had anything to say???

flak monkey

posted on 19/3/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Why not 2 sets of injectors? you can get better granularity at the low end then....

Yep, thats also a great idea. Might look into that should I have idle issues with the current 630cc injectors. At the moment I will just run the single set to keep things simple

With regard to what Titan say, I dont know yet, I am waiting for the technical guy to get back to me as he was out of the office today.

Hoping to get the Jenveys tomorrow and after some minor fettling get them fitted and tested to see if it truely is where the problem lies. I damn well hope it is!

David

Sera

matt.c

posted on 19/3/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Flak, I dont have a clue what you are on about and cant answer any of your questions but hey mate whats new!

I admire you with all your ideas and your great work. I wish i was as good as you.

Now get back in that dam garage and sort it as im getting bored waiting for my test drive!

NS Dev

posted on 19/3/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Flak, can you just clarify, (only just seen this thread!) you say idle doesn't change until all the rollers are open by 6mm.....................

if that's the case, air is getting in AFTER the throttles!

6mm of opening should see it revving a LOT!

Are there any ways in for air downstream of the throttles?

I simply don't understand, 1400rpm doesn't need a lot of air (my experience is only with normal butterflies, but under 1mm of opening will give more than that idle) but 6mm of opening is what you would be using when driving gently!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Doofus

posted on 19/3/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Flak, can you just clarify, (only just seen this thread!) you say idle doesn't change until all the rollers are open by 6mm.....................

if that's the case, air is getting in AFTER the throttles!

6mm of opening should see it revving a LOT!

Are there any ways in for air downstream of the throttles?

I simply don't understand, 1400rpm doesn't need a lot of air (my experience is only with normal butterflies, but under 1mm of opening will give more than that idle) but 6mm of opening is what you would be using when driving gently!!

As the roller is tapered, (widest on non engine side when fully open) the visible gap from the outside is 6mm before the engine side gap starts to open.
Unlike a butterfly, the roller presents 2 restrictions as it closes, front and back of the roller.

westy turbo

posted on 20/3/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
could be air leak-vacum..
flak monkey

posted on 20/3/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Definately no vac leaks anywhere.

Anyway, fixed the problem now. Fitted the set of DTH jenveys that arrived this morning. Runs sweet as a nut now, much smoother and 950 rpm idle. Will post pics later, doing this off the phone

Sera

goaty

posted on 20/3/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good but would still be good to knwo what the problem was, expensive either way...lol.
At least you seem happy now

westy turbo

posted on 20/3/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
UP for sale then?
eddie99

posted on 20/3/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Definately no vac leaks anywhere.

Anyway, fixed the problem now. Fitted the set of DTH jenveys that arrived this morning. Runs sweet as a nut now, much smoother and 950 rpm idle. Will post pics later, doing this off the phone

Excellent, shame about the cost but at least your back on track for Stoneleigh

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Madinventions

posted on 20/3/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Great to hear you've got it sorted out at last, but a very expensive experiment!

If you're coming to Diss tomorrow, I'll buy you a pint if it'll help!

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Stuart_B

posted on 20/3/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
hi david, glad you sorted out the idle promblem, sham about the cost involed

stuart

flak monkey

posted on 20/3/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, works much, much better now.

All I can say at the moment is that the high idle on the rollers is due to the clearance between the roller and barrel. I have spoken to a lot of knowledgeable people in the last week and they say that this is a common problem on rollers and can be bigger problems on some engines than others - even the same model engine. So whilst one duratec may run fine on them, some wont. It also depends on the spec of the engine and a whole host of other things.

I am happy with it on the raceline DTH's and they looks pretty smart.

David

Sera

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.