Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thread tube for Rose joints ?
F1 Mini

posted on 5/5/04 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thread tube for Rose joints ?

Does anyone know where I can buy these so I can make up my own Rose Jointed top A arms ?
Digger Barnes

posted on 5/5/04 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
As I have not got to building my wishbones yet I am sure I will be shot down, but can't you just tap out the correct size tube (after selecting a tube bore from Zeus tables?).

Gareth

P.S. I will reply to your email tonight. I was having a little discusion last night about my program so I had my head in extreme debugging mode.

MikeR

posted on 5/5/04 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
look up my thread on rose joints, NS Dev suggested a place i got my joints and the bits your talking about. I was impressed with them.

(which basically means i can't remember the name of the company and can't be arsed going to the garage to find out - if you have no luck, send me a private message to remind me and i'll look for you)

Peteff

posted on 5/5/04 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine made me some M12 from round stock drilled and tapped on his lathe for my trailing arms. He did me some for the M18 balljoints as well. Tube didn't seem to be in the right internal diameter for threading according to him or it wouldn't leave enough wall for his liking.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nige

posted on 5/5/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
why not just weld nuts in the end of the tube

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

Digger Barnes

posted on 5/5/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
A friend of mine made me some M12 from round stock drilled and tapped on his lathe for my trailing arms. He did me some for the M18 balljoints as well. Tube didn't seem to be in the right internal diameter for threading according to him or it wouldn't leave enough wall for his liking.

Surely you can get tube with a whole variety of wall thickness, pick one to suit, maybe some drilling for exact tapping hole size, but that has to easier than making it up from solid?

andkilde

posted on 5/5/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sourcing short lengths of tubing in very specific ID's can be a chore. Most steel merchants carry tube in 10 or 20 foot lengths only, not a problem when buying for a whole chassis, but...

The folks who sell the rod ends usually carry preformed weld-in inserts or as rashandnige suggested nuts can be welded in.

If you can chase down a friendly machinist, custom made bits cut from solid can be very reasonable compared with chasing down special bits of tube.

Try calling around to instructors at local technical schools or posting a want ad here on the site.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogroove

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
The other way is to find some steam tube. That gets tapped out to do what you want. Weld it into the ends.
Digger Barnes

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you need some offcuts of tube in specific sizes for this job U2U me with the thread size required and I will see if we have something to suit on the shelf in the workshop (we are an oil refinery and have all sorts of sizes and schedules of pipe on the shelf).

If you require loads then try a supplier, but if you need a foot or two then I may be able to help

Peteff

posted on 5/5/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
nuts can be welded in

The nuts I have need to be ground down to fit in the tube and are only about 15mm thick and have a bright coating on them . The mild steel inserts he made me knock tightly into the tube and are 35mm long so are much better suited.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 5/5/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi F1 mini!

If you need some help I can produce these inserts for you no problem (have lathe etc, also M18 fine tap for the Transit balljoints)

As Mike R said further up, Trackstore (www.trackstore.co.uk) are great and supply all this stuff, as well as top quality rod ends at very good prices (not to be confused with the cheap and nasty ones, they only do chrome moly but at prices no much higher than the cheapo ones!!)

I am near Hinckley in Leicestershire, let me know if you need anything making and are not too far away or are ok to pay postage!!

PS I also just used CFS tube with a suitable bore to tap straight out on my grasser (see photos)

F1 Mini

posted on 5/5/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks alot lads, I will see what trackstore
have in stock. Thanks for the offers of help, I may take you up on them Yet.

PS NS Dev
I'm Near Coventry so not far from away, how's your build ? or have you finished you car ?

[Edited on 5/5/04 by F1 Mini]

[Edited on 5/5/04 by F1 Mini]

Dale

posted on 5/5/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
for my trailing arms I welded nuts on the end and ground one half the nut edges off and slid another tube overtop as a sleeve and welded it at both ends leaving just enough of the nut hex to get a wrench on. Pretty sure I could hang the car up by these with no issues.
Dale

NS Dev

posted on 6/5/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
F1 mini, you are not too far away then, I am in Barwell, near Hinckley, to be more precise!

I have not finished my locost, I am waiting for the chassis from ST at the moment. I have finished a number of other cars though, most recent was a complete restoration of a very rare Opel Manta (also into these!) and my most recent scratch build was my grasstrack racing car (some pics in my photo archive). I have also built (restored + engine transplant+ suspension changes) two other Opel Mantas (less involved though) and built a Rear Wheel Drive Peugeot 205 (Vauxhall 2.0 16v XE + type 9 'box + Capri axle, not unlike a heavy locost really!) for rallying. I also was involved in building a mid-engined vauxhall Nova that featured in CCC magazine a few years back and that my mate rallied for a few years.

Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Cheers

Nat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.