Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Hi Fi amps, Ipods & digital radios.
hillbillyracer

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
OT Hi Fi amps, Ipods & digital radios.

I want to be able to play my Ipod in the workshop & use a digital radio too. How practical will it be to use a Hi Fi amp to connect them to decent sized speakers?
All the leads to connect the various different plugs seem to be available cheap enough on ebay.
I expect the Ipod will work well enough but would a small digital radio work the amp from the headphone socket on the radio?
I was thinking something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Goodmans-Mini-Amplifier-Delta-700A-Hi-Fi-amp_W0QQitemZ310209565218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifi ers?hash=item4839ee5222

Or would I be better with something like this so long as it has the correct aux input connections?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-Stereo-Mini-HIFI-System-SA-CH-55_W0QQitemZ140393065274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerS eparates?hash=item20b0142b3a

I'm not looking for the last word in sound quality, this going to be in a workshop & I aint into drum & bass, plus no point spending loads of dosh on a system for my two-bob ears to listen to! Looking at Ipod docks they seem to be a bit short on power for the money I want to spend (£40 or less) & still doesnt sort the digital radio.
Cheers for any help.

big_wasa

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just bolted a pc to the wall I can stream music play cd's or there is 20gb of mp3's to go at

Ive got all the car stuff on it aswell.

Cost £25

hillbillyracer

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I could do that, quite like the idea, bound to be plenty old puters cluttering up folk's houses! But for decent volume (workshop is on the large side) I'd still an amp would'nt I? & I do want the digital radio too.
Steve Hignett

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Digital radio can be on the PC via the internet.

Take the "headphone out" from the PC and to ANY stereo amp and then on to a couple of old speakers - I'm sure you could do it all for virtually free... (friends, family, buy-sell etc!)

hillbillyracer

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well that's the biggest disadvantage of having a computer in the workshop, no internet access! Probably for the best though, I'd get nowt done!
But from what you say a headphone out socket will work with an amp provided it uses normal connectors? I've seen a couple on ebay that use multi-pin sockets which would only connect to other things with the same type of socket.

big_wasa

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a small-ish garage so sound is ok, just. Better when I find a micro hifi to stick next to it for the amp and speakers.

most quality micro hifi's will have atleast one aux input.

they are on ebay from a few quid.

[Edited on 28/3/10 by big_wasa]

hillbillyracer

posted on 28/3/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Yeah, that what I was thinking but I was told by a couple of folk that a headphone socket wont work properly to feed in to an amp or an aux in on a micro HiFi etc. However they were really into their music & sound systems & I've thought since that it should work ok & it's just they would'nt find the sound quality good enough. This would'nt be a problem for me as I dont hink I'd see that much difference & a workshop is hardly a good listening enviroment!

iDENTITi

posted on 28/3/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Yeah, that what I was thinking but I was told by a couple of folk that a headphone socket wont work properly to feed in to an amp or an aux in on a micro HiFi etc. However they were really into their music & sound systems & I've thought since that it should work ok & it's just they would'nt find the sound quality good enough. This would'nt be a problem for me as I dont hink I'd see that much difference & a workshop is hardly a good listening enviroment!

It will work.. I run my pc through a headphone jack - phono lead into my yamaha receiver... Sounds fine?

big_wasa

posted on 28/3/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
It will work just fine.

Hifi can me an obsessive hobby I once new a guy that spent more on the stereo than building his house.

I used to spend loads on mine and yes I could tell the differance but not that much

if you have a cash generator type shop near by have a look and even ask if they have one with a dead cd player. They usually just bin them if they come back.

hillbillyracer

posted on 28/3/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Top stuff, and yes, one with a knackered CD or tape deck would do just fine.
What I had in mind will work then, cheers fellas for the help.
Unless I pick one up through friends/family as suggested by Steve Hignett it'll likely be an Ebay puchase, I'm right out in the countryside & dont go to town for much unless I knew it was worth going for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.