Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ford cougar v6 as a donor?
ben lambert

posted on 1/4/10 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
ford cougar v6 as a donor?

Hi guys,

I'm getting started on either a Mk or GTR locost (haven't decided on that bit yet) and have just been offered a ford cougar v6 for next to nothing, I'd love to take it and use it as a donor. is this poss? even if i can just use the engine it would be worth it. I'm not sure yet wether its the 2.0 16v or the 2.5 24v, I'll find that out today.

Any info that people have for me on this would be fantastic.

My wife.... She say YES!!! so i shall create

ben lambert

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Its the 2.5 24v V6.

turbodisplay

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
V6 with mods is used in noble cars so quite a good engine!
You can use any non standard car for donors, just takes a bit longer to modify parts.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ben lambert

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ooo.... thanks for that... may have to take it then, I've got that compulsive buy feeling. do you know if the brakes, gear box etc can be used? or anyother car that could mate up to it? can you tell i'm a first timer? (reluctant to jump in and do it when your not 100% sure) but i guess thats the learning curve.

iank

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
The problem you've got is mating it to a suitable RWD gearbox. Engine is good for 200bhp just by removing the cats.

razman used one for his aeon middy.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RIE

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ben lambert
I'm not sure yet wether its the 2.0 16v or the 2.5 24v, I'll find that out today.

quote:

Its the 2.5 24v V6.

Was gonna say, I don't think you can get a 16v V6

turbodisplay

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
If i remember correclty that engine has a different bell housing pattern to standard ford. I think it may be a jag and /or mazda gearbox that will work with small mods. Think there was a thread about this.
(just something i seem to recall - dont trust me!)

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
It will be difficult to mate to a RWD gearbox, I had one of these engines going into my project at one point, but I was going to mate it to a Audi Transaxle with an adapter plate.

It you are doing a Mid engined car then you can use the gearbox etc but if you don't then you will need to find a suitable gearbox, or get one to fit!

As far as I know I think it was a triumph gearbox that fitted? I really can't remember sorry! But clairetoo has fitted on of these engines to her fury.

But one from a Probe I think, I assume these engines are the same?

Hope that helps

l0rd

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
It will be difficult to mate to a RWD gearbox, I had one of these engines going into my project at one point, but I was going to mate it to a Audi Transaxle with an adapter plate.

It you are doing a Mid engined car then you can use the gearbox etc but if you don't then you will need to find a suitable gearbox, or get one to fit!

As far as I know I think it was a triumph gearbox that fitted? I really can't remember sorry! But clairetoo has fitted on of these engines to her fury.

But one from a Probe I think, I assume these engines are the same?

Hope that helps

And she uses an MX5 box with an adaptor plate if I am not mistaken.

blakep82

posted on 1/4/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIE
quote:
Originally posted by ben lambert
I'm not sure yet wether its the 2.0 16v or the 2.5 24v, I'll find that out today.

quote:

Its the 2.5 24v V6.

Was gonna say, I don't think you can get a 16v V6

2.666666666 valves per cylinder

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Liam

posted on 1/4/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think two different engines are being confused here. Clairetoo used the mazda KL V6 which was only found in the ford probe (other than mazdas of course). That would be the one that might take the MX5 box. The cougar uses the duratec 25 (also has a mazda name... AJ?) as found in mondeo and various other fords/mazdas/jags. This engine would fit the Jag S-type box for RWD.

Liam

ben lambert

posted on 1/4/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
yeah there was a 2.0 used in the cougar aswell, by the sound of it, it wasnt a V6. My mistake, this is a learning exercise for me, feet in at the deep end...

s-type.. nice one :-)

What about the back diff? would that have to be from a jjaaargg to?

major

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
The cougar v6 is actually a ford Duratec 25 V6 (Liam is correct) It only mates with a getrag 221 (Lincoln LS and a Jag S-type 3.0L) The bellhouse pattern of the getrag 221 is similar to a Duratec 2.5L but no exactly the same. You also need a sump from a s-type or a dry-sump.

If you go for a Mk indy, you need to modify the s-type sump and get a bigger air scoop om the bonnet. The one supplied by Mk is not big enough. Your upper intake manifold hits the bonnet.

Take a look at the pic's in my archive.

[Edited on 5/4/10 by major]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 8/4/10 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
US Cougar

I don´t know the specs of the UK cougar, but US cougars are good donors.
In the US (And Mexico) you could use engine, trans, front uprights and complete rear end (excluding shocks and springs
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Brommers

posted on 14/4/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by major
The cougar v6 is actually a ford Duratec 25 V6 (Liam is correct) It only mates with a getrag 221 (Lincoln LS and a Jag S-type 3.0L) The bellhouse pattern of the getrag 221 is similar to a Duratec 2.5L but no exactly the same. You also need a sump from a s-type or a dry-sump.

Or as an alternative to the Getrag box on the Duratec 25/30/35, you could use a Morgan bellhousing which has a standard Ford bolt pattern. Morgan use it with the Mitchell Cotts MCT75 gearbox (i.e. an MT75 without the internal bellhousing).

major

posted on 16/4/10 at 04:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brommers
quote:
Originally posted by major

Or as an alternative to the Getrag box on the Duratec 25/30/35, you could use a Morgan bellhousing which has a standard Ford bolt pattern. Morgan use it with the Mitchell Cotts MCT75 gearbox (i.e. an MT75 without the internal bellhousing).

Yep, and with better gearing ratio's.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.