Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake connections
Miks15

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake connections

Hi Guys,

I need to connect my handbrake cables to my handbrake lever. Currently the cables have no nipple or anything at the lever end, they are just plain cable. How can i attach these too my lever?

Can i use solderness nipples?

Or do i need something more substanstial?

Thanks
Mikkel

JC

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Which cables did you get in the end? (and how long are they?)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
they are a set of golf cables, they fit pretty well, because of the way they exit the calipers facing forward, the bend bcak towards the rear bulkhead, and the bend back to the lever with nice smooth curves, i will try get a picture and put up.

Mikkel

2cv

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Covered here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=131488&page=2

Miks15

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
thanks 2cv, the problem is i dont have access to a lathe or brazing/silver soldering equipment.
Miks15

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
saying that when silver solder is mentioned? Is this the same as electircal solder?
Or is it different wire?

I have a soldering iron, and also a plumbers type blowtorch so if i can i just solder on a nipple of some kind? My lever has adjustment on a threaded bar on the back of it and a compensator bar so wont need to have adjustment on the actual cables. So a simple nipple just solder on, will this be enough?

Thanks
Mikkel

iDENTITi

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
saying that when silver solder is mentioned? Is this the same as electircal solder?
Or is it different wire?

I have a soldering iron, and also a plumbers type blowtorch so if i can i just solder on a nipple of some kind? My lever has adjustment on a threaded bar on the back of it and a compensator bar so wont need to have adjustment on the actual cables. So a simple nipple just solder on, will this be enough?

Thanks
Mikkel

Silver solder is, literally as it sounds "silver" solder. It's stronger and higher melting point. 80W or higher soldering iron will do it, blowtorch will do it quicker. You can pick it up from maplins/hardware store/ etc.

StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
it may be worth trying a high strength retaining compound.i'd do a test piece before i'd stake my car on it but we have one in work from loctite(i'm sure others will do it too.)its dark green and like treacle,not the usual yellow weasel wee one,and its now locked away from the apprentices.anything put together with it is never coming apart.and thats not always a good thing lol,but in your case it might help.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
2cv

posted on 1/4/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote

thanks 2cv, the problem is i dont have access to a lathe or brazing/silver soldering equipment.

I'm sure there are a number of people on this Forum who would drill a couple of bolts for you and even make the brass nuts.

Miks15

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Will try the silver solder method i think.

I dont need any adjustment on the actual cables, thats all in the lever, so will just try solderings on some nipples.

Will just steel be ok?

2cv

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yes steel will be fine. I put a countersink on the cable outlet hole and you can fill this with solder and then the cable simply cannot pull through.
Miks15

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
OK cheers,

Will probs give it a go on an old cable and then post up on here with the results see what everyone thinks.

Cheers for your help 2cv

2cv

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote

OK cheers,

Will probs give it a go on an old cable and then post up on here with the results see what everyone thinks.

Cheers for your help 2cv

You're very welcome. Please feel free to U2U if i can help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.