Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: building a car lift
boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
building a car lift

after seeing some scissor type lifts at the show it got me thinking if you could make your own using a hydraulic ram and remote pump????

anyone done this??

barry

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Stuart_B

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
i would like to build one to, but could not find any plans, if you do could you share them please.

cheers

stuart

UncleFista

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon the easiest way would be how Charlie of PPC fame has built his.
He's sunk the front end of a forklift into concrete in his garage

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

NS Dev

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
not worth doing. You can buy em for less than the cost of the bits and the hassle.

I bought the one in our unit (www.retropower.co.uk lots of pics with it in on there) for £750 and its in perfect nick, almost as-new.

Place in Hull does em, can get you details if you want

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

trextr7monkey

posted on 5/4/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thought about building a scissor type bike lift and actually acquired one of those lifting arms that all the pikeys have on their drop side trucks - it has a remote jack and huge ram, never thought of a car lift though

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

richardR1

posted on 5/4/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
not worth doing. You can buy em for less than the cost of the bits and the hassle.

I bought the one in our unit (www.retropower.co.uk lots of pics with it in on there) for £750 and its in perfect nick, almost as-new.

Yep, they are in Hull, know them through rallying. Used Garage Equipment

MK Owners Club Member 1015

daviep

posted on 5/4/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I disagree I built mine purely out of stuff I had lying about in the garage. Might not be practicle for a business to spend a day making one but for an individual doing it as a hobby definately viable.

Regards
Davie

boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
i have an old portapower with a ten ton ram so i think thats the hydraulics sorted, i have sketched up some plans, should cost about £100 to make

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

NS Dev

posted on 6/4/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardR1
quote:

Yep, they are in Hull, know them through rallying. Used Garage Equipment

Nice guys, rally setup seems pretty good too! Love the "live in" workshop they have!!

Re. the lifts, yea you can make anything if you want to! The scissor lifts are crap in my opinion though as you can't really get to most of the bits that you put the car up in the air in the first place for!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.