Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: average build time?
boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
average build time?

im sure this has been asked a million times but what is the average build time for a locost??

after i have moved end of april i will be starting mine again, im not happy with the state of the chassis paint wise and i need to add the roll bar and do mods for a bike engine.....

how long should it take at a leisurely pace??

am thinking a year??

cheers

barry

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

jacko

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen them built in 3weeks and take up to 5+years
IT took me about 7 months
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
depends on your hours per week but i'd say 300 - 500hrs to do a nice job for the average 1st time builder
daniel mason

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
im starting next week and want it done by christmas!
big-vee-twin

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've got this far in 5 months, started with a 'Starter Kit'. This picture was taken today.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
i think my biggest pitfull will be funds....

i want the best of everything but cant afford it!!

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

speedyxjs

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
3 years, 2 months and counting

Although the last year or so has been limited quite badly by funds

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

James

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the average time and you've not really said how far you've got but mine took me 4 years and this was about average I thought.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Stuart_B

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
hi, mine took, around 11 months from start to finish, then i done booked the sva when i was a 100% sure

i only done 2-3 hours 3-4 nights a week, with 3 weeks total not touching the car.

i think mk say aveagre build time off 300-400 hours.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

morcus

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in simillar situation in that I'm waiting to move. I'm Looking at the MK Indy and I've been told 300hours so I'm currently guessin 18-24 months because Its going to be a learning experience, and because I work funny hours and quite often can't be arsed to do any thing on my days off if they fall in certain ways (on many occaisions I've had 'days' off shorter than 23 hours. I'm planning to have a weeks holiday in the begining and then about 8 hours a week.
Mines going to be fairly tight financially and I need something slightly unusual so I'm not really bothered about how long it will take.
I've seen things online about building from scratch in a week but I doubt many people could even with a free week and no distractions.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Mark G

posted on 5/4/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I did about 10 hrs per week and took 14 months start to finish for my Indy
cjtheman

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
mine took 2 1/2 years but i wasnt flat out on it took a year off it started final assembly in jan09 as i booked sva mid march that was a bit of a rush needed the kick up the arse to finish lol

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

StrikerChris

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
try 4 years,and only then cause of the sva changing and i had to finnish it!set yourself a target date or when you loose motivation its easy to find excuses not to do it...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lotusmadandy

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
9 month's from start to sva but i was off work for 3 of those month's.

Andy

jimgiblett

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
13 weeks from kit to SVA. But that was from a kit and I think BEC is easier than CEC.

Part built took me nearly twice as long undoing and redoing.

- Jim

MakeEverything

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
im sure this has been asked a million times but what is the average build time for a locost??

after i have moved end of april i will be starting mine again, im not happy with the state of the chassis paint wise and i need to add the roll bar and do mods for a bike engine.....

how long should it take at a leisurely pace??

am thinking a year??

cheers

barry

At youre speed, or normal speed??

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

twybrow

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Mine took just over 2 years.... Would have been quicker if it weren't for my oddball engine!
andylancaster3000

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
2.5 years for a book-ish chassis'd car. Made pretty much everything inc. a fair number of the GRP bits. Albeit it with a couple of us at it at times.
scutter

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
3 years for the first one, 9 months for the second. The second was a lot closer to home.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Been going in earnest on mine for about 3 1/2 years so far, but then I do tend to travel a lot through work. Hopefully not too many more months left

A guy on another forum I frequent said her was in his 11th year!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

eddie99

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Im on my 18months now. But didnt touch the car for 10months, so about 8 months of weekend building time i guess....

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
year 7 for me, but its not a locost or any kit, so its not very straight forward plus i didn't live here for the first couple of years, and last year lost 2 jobs, so there#s a few reasons

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_wasa

posted on 5/4/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
five and a bit years for my scratch built lol

problem is I keep upgrading before its finished

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/4/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Without taking any time off work, and just fitting building in when I could, it took me 11 weeks to passing SVA on a kit, and I think it would probably take me around 6 months to build a Locost from start to finish. (Depending on spec of Locost - the one I'm building at the moment, is a relatively labour intensive one as absolutely everything will be fitted to the chassis on specially made brackets, and this adds to the time and effort involved immensely!)

I've built quite a few other kits in less than a few months too (also whilst working fll time...)

iank

posted on 5/4/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
A guy on another forum I frequent said her was in his 11th year!

Think that might be MikeR?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.