Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Who Built Their Locost - Old Timers :-))
Surrey Dave

posted on 6/4/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Who Built Their Locost - Old Timers :-))

I built the chassis , made the seats ,inner panels, dash,hood , tonneau ,exhaust,fuel tank,aluminium panelling,

I bought wishbones & trailing arms, wiring loom, glass fibre parts,screen.wheels.

Finished 2000, before this excellent website arrived on the scene.

A few of us where in contact via the net , before this website was born, Bob,Steve M, Hicost.

Jon Ison

posted on 6/4/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Completed 2001, chassis wishbones, everything aside from plastic bits.

Sold 2003, purchased her back 2005 not going anywhere now, to much of me in her, looks a little worn round the edges but 10 years on road does that ?

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/10 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Suppose I count as an old-timer (builder that is, not age!). Started in 1997, SVA'd in 2005. Built everything apart from the GRP bits.

I remember the old newsgroup... TOL, or "The Other List", which wouldn't be able to cope with the traffic we get on here these days. Just had a look - that Yahoo group is still running, with a few recent posts

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/locost/

Don't they know we exist?

[Edited on 6/4/10 by David Jenkins]

thepest

posted on 6/4/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mine built between 2004-2006, I bought the seats, gauges and fibreglass bits - Made the rest.
steve m

posted on 6/4/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think Hicost was one of the first on the road, along with john Biddle (dont think he is on here)
my build was from may1997-may1999

Blimey, that old site !!!

My car was all home grown, except for the rear wheel arches and nosecone

I made the front arches from scratch, with my ingenious invisible way of attachment,

Dave j , dont spill the beans !!

all home brewed interior, and Bob, was it comfortable on our trip to Exeter ??

Steve

PAULD

posted on 6/4/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
SVA'd mine in 2001. Built it all myself, on the road for £1800. I thought that I would be forever upgrading it but it's just as I built it (even the 1600 pinto) Shame I dare not take it out at the moment the potholes 'round here are awful!
mark chandler

posted on 6/4/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not so old, completed 2006 ish

Built it all, wishbones, frame, arches exhaust etc.

Purchased seats and nose cone, just to much effort to make them... although did stretch the nosecone a bit.

Just a young un!

nick205

posted on 6/4/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not a Locost builder, but found this site in 2002 when I was heavily into "The Book" and drawing up plans to build one. IIRC I was member no. 99 - those were the days!

After a lot of deliberation I decided to build an MK Indy and started in 2003. Finished and SVA'd 2007 with much input from LCB along the way.

MK's sold now and I have a serious desire to build from scratch and leaning towards a proper live axle Locost rather than a Haynes at this stage.

boggle

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
i started building a book chassis in 2004 but never got further than the fist part of the chassis, then my move to cornwall ment i couldnt take it, so it got junked....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Marcus

posted on 7/4/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Built 2 between 1999 and 2004, both scratch builds and both under 1500 quid. The early show weekends were excellent, I remember drooling over Hicost's machine and Rob Lane's 3 month build.....ah those were the days

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 7/4/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote

Yes Rob Lane's build was and is still impressive, my local influence was Steve M who took me for a run , no screen , no glasses ,= no can see!!!!

Surprised Mr Johnrod hasn't been on , he has built 3??

I liked the angled rear shocks arrangement on Jon Ison's too , mine has too little rear travel so had to stiffen rear sprungs to control movement , so not as comfy or gooder roadholding as could be.

sebastiaan

posted on 7/4/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Joined TOL september 20, 2000. Do I count as an oldtimer?

Completed the MK in august 2004. Has it been 6 years already?

Surrey Dave

posted on 7/4/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Old Timers!?!

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'old timers' part of this post.

Just being nostalgic about where it all started with the book, which was probably a rip off of the pre lit Westfield.

With all the parts and variations available now it has become more of a true 'kit car'

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.