Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow Vehicle
RichieHall

posted on 8/4/10 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Tow Vehicle

Seriously thinking of swapping the tin top for something capable of towing the Ginetta around the country.

I've been thinking L200 type twin cabs but the wife really isn't keen, too big for her to drive.

Really like the look of the Freelander?

Hopefully looking to px + almost no money for the RX8, any ideas or thoughts?

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

Danozeman

posted on 9/4/10 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
Freelanders aint bad but not much smaller than l200 really. The 2 litre derv is bmw lump i believe. Dont get a petrol one.

Shogun??

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

speedyxjs

posted on 9/4/10 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what your car weighs but i know the freelander has a towing capacity of 1800kg. Plenty other vehicles around that will tow much more than that.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

v8kid

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Don't need a 4x4 to tow in comfort - a normal family car will give a better ride, comfort and economy.

I've been towing a covered trailer for 5 years now with my 2.2 mondeo estate and have covered 120k without a single breakdown or problem. I have also never been stuck despite having a 0.5 mile farm track access road at home and parking the trailer on wet grass at events. Admittedly wet grass makes you think ahead when parking - pointing downhill for the getaway is always good.

Loads of other family estates with beefy engine options will do as well and have a suprising towing capacity.

A sensibly chosen trailer properly loaded will always be stable and with a family car you have advantages of cruise control, aircon and economy off tow.

Seems a no brainer to me but then I am biased!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I concur.

Although my take on it is having an MPV, in our case, a Citroen Synergie.

We used it as the support vehicle at Knockhill a few weeks back when we went testing. It was very cool to have it in 4 seat config. with the front seats swivelled round 180 degrees and the four of use could actually sit out of the weather in our own friendly space. Other than that, it does 40 to the gallon on diesel, has geat torque and rides smooth.

I have to say, I'm a fan of MPVs now and couldn't care less about any image issues. It's the most usefull vehicle most of the time that I've ever had.

The weight of the thing means it will be able to tow a reasonable weight too.

One last thing, if I take all of the back seats out for carrying tools / stuff in, it's big enough in there to sleep in.
If there's a better family type vehicle than an MPV like that, I haven't heard of it. Especially if weekends away at the racetrack with your car behind on a trailer are what you're thinking of.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by zilspeed]

balidey

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you are getting an L200 or similar then stock up on motion sickness tablets now. They are so bloody awful for wallowing and lurching. I have driven loads and would never ever buy one. I think too many people like them because of their 'image', but to me I don't want to look like a 'flash builder'.

For me it would be a sensible 'normal' car for towing, say a BMW or Audi tourer with a nice big diesel engine.

I do agree with above comments about MPV, we have a Picasso for towing our trailer tent, but we have a family, so its a very versatile vehicle. And so much nicer to drive than the 4x4 truck things.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

boggle

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
subaru forrester??

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

daviep

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Freelanders aint bad but not much smaller than l200 really. The 2 litre derv is bmw lump i believe. Dont get a petrol one.

Shogun??

Have a google for Freelander drivetrain problems.

Davie

franky

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a 4x4 Nissan Patrol or Toyota landcruiser

Or just get an estate, Audi a6, bmw 5 series, subaru legacy etc. They'll cost you a damn site less in fuel too.

Oh have you seen my advert for an A6 estate

carpmart

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I would get a 5 Series BMW. I tow a large caravan and my kit car with mine. It's an E39 530 sport, the petrol version. I would probably now opt for a 530 wiesel if I had my time over again. This is my second E39 which I have used for towing EXTENSIVELY around mainland Europe!

Saloons tow better than 4x4 as you have a more stable (less body roll) vehicle towing!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

dhutch

posted on 9/4/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I too wouldnt be buying a 4*4 to tow with.
- If your going really big they start to be the only thing rated for it.
- But if your only towing 1800kg or then a longish wheel base estate or an mpv is proberbly atlease as good.

Not totally economic or new, but ive been considering a mitsi galant/legnum estate for the next car. Probably with the 2.0l petrol lump for the sake of reasonable insurance (compared to the v6 or vr4)

Daniel

Danozeman

posted on 9/4/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
my 525 tds will tow 2tones. Maybe an option for you. Mines up for sale funnily enough

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

morcus

posted on 9/4/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Having been from Ashford to Glasgow and back many times in my dads old Ranger (Most of those times in the Back seat) I can't say I've ever had a problem with motion sickness in it (I did the journey in the back of a Megane we hire and I was actually sick).

All said, your probably better with a car though, as said, decent pickups make you look like a flash builder, and there are wheels in motion towards making them legally cars (But I didn't tell you) for the high spec ones.

Don't try to convince your misses that she'll get used to driving something big like that, If it turns out she can't you'll have to sell it at a loss, I've seen it happen so many times.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

edspurrier

posted on 9/4/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
My Accord Diesel tows the Tiger fine, albeit with a significant mpg penalty. Max braked 1500kg.
Have you got B+E on your licence? If not you'll, like me, be limited in the tow car you can buy and the trailer you can choose.

JoelP

posted on 9/4/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
my wife adapted to a jeep cherokee from a corsa with no bother. It has a 2600kgs towing limit, but does have dreadful handling. I would agree an estate car is better if you can find one that fits the bill. I do most of my towing with the van, which is a nice compromise.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.