Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: expandable foam seats
skinny

posted on 8/5/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
expandable foam seats

hi, has anyone tried using this stuff for their seats? if it works, it seems like quite a good option, especially for the money - should fit both you and your car perfectly?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?CLS=MSPORT&TLGRP=M003&PGRP=MC017&GRP=MC017&PCODE=MISFOAMKIT

don't know how SVA friendly they are tho...

if you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

marc n

posted on 8/5/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
we have used the two part foam to make various seats in our racecars, including caterham superlights,Also used as the norm in many single seaters, word of warning do not wear any decent clothes when using this stuff it can get very very messy especially if you mix too much cause by god does it expand
also baggy clothes leave intersting results

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/5/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Macspeedy and I saw this in a cateringvan Friday night at Knock hill. The only problem is to cover the foam. The guy said he didnt Know who did his seats as he bought the car with them in. They weigh nothing and are very comfy. So we ask how to get covers to use for this application? Answers on a £10 note

Peteff

posted on 9/5/04 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of gaffer (duct) tape. It's my favourite repair stuff. Sorry I only had £20's so I posted it here instead.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Browser

posted on 20/5/04 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Before you go blowing yer cash at Demon Thieves, have a look here CFS fibreglass supplies. The pack in D.T. is £25.52 for a 2kg pack, at CFS it is £7.21 (both excluding V.A.T.) Found this mob by Googling for 2 part polyurethane foam

andyps

posted on 20/5/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is a cheap alternative the expanding foam you can get in aerosols from DIY stores?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 20/5/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
What about the stuff they use for cavity wall insulation. That expands like crazy.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Browser

posted on 21/5/04 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think the cans from the DIY stores would be an expensive route, £7.99 for a 750ml can from Focus. Dunno if it's the same stuff.
On the other hand, if you look here it has a 'foam eater' advertised which state it will 'remove cured PU foam from most surfaces' so I guess it is the same, and theirs is cheaper than Focus. I would have reservations as to whether it would providse foam in the volumes you would require to make a seat though?

kingr

posted on 21/5/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how suitable the stuff from CFS would be - it sets absolutely rigid and is very brittle. I'd imagine you'd want a degree of spongyness.

Kingr

leto

posted on 21/5/04 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
What about the stuff they use for cavity wall insulation. That expands like crazy.

Friend of mine have tried it, no complete success. Seams the one component stuff needs air to harden He used a plastic bag to keep it in place and some the stuff didn't get enough air. The result is rather comfortable but no perfect fit and as not been road tested yet.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

Browser

posted on 22/5/04 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I'm not sure how suitable the stuff from CFS would be - it sets absolutely rigid and is very brittle. I'd imagine you'd want a degree of spongyness.

Kingr

Does the Demon Thieves stuff stay flexible then? I was always under the misguided impression it went rigid hard as (a) they cover 'em in duct tape as protection, (b) they don't have to last as they can always make another one and (c) yer average racer wants to be as rigidly held as possible. Anyone know if the 'official' stuff gives a bit?

marc n

posted on 23/5/04 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
the proper stufff does give a lttle and is not completly rigid

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Browser

posted on 23/5/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers marc, another factoid to log into the cranium

andyps

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can create a lot of foam from the cans the DIY stores sell - it expands to 30 times the can size (according to the label) and certainly sems that way once you squeeze the trigger!

I used a can to fill the cavity in a one piece fibreglass rear door on our Mini Estate. The door was really flexible before but is made it nce and solid - trouble was that the foam actually expanded the door and slightly "bowed" it.

Andy

Peteff

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I used one from Wickes to fill a gap when I was doing some replastering. Don't use it if you are of a nervous disposition . I pressed the trigger and almost shat myself . It doesn't keep after either but that's not a problem.

yours, Pete

timf

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
the diy stuff is also not uv stable so will have to be covered else it turns a funny colour and goes brittle
crbrlfrost

posted on 27/5/04 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of some people having covered expanded foam seats in vinyl, anyone have any ideas about this (would it stretch sufficiently, or form well?). I was planning a cross country after it is done so I need something very waterproof. Cheers!
andyps

posted on 27/5/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
The first time I used the stuff from a can was when I was trying to patch up a bit of rot in my bathroom window frame and ended up with a massive hole.

The foam worked well and stayed in place for three or four years until the windows were replaced - I did cover it with polyfilla to give a smooth waterproof finish, but never had a problem.

The foam in the Mini door is still there and seems to be as solid as when it first set, also, it has never absorbed water as far as I can tell.

Andy

andylancaster3000

posted on 20/6/04 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
For my dad's clubman car we sat him in the seat wearing bin bags, sprayed the DIY can foam around is back and covered it is carpet under-lay. It was supportive and very comfortable!

Andy

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/6/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
have to get Macspeedy over to give it a try for my beast

RichB

posted on 29/6/04 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for being a spanner I'm a bit confused.

quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
For my dad's clubman car we sat him in the seat wearing bin bags...

Andy you mentioned 'the seat'. Are you talking about making some plywood (or similar) formwork, filling it with foam and sitting in it until it hardens?

Or is this making a custom moulded insert for an exisiting race seat
(eg http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?CLS=MSPORT&TLGRP=M003&CODE=KIRSPR&PGRP=MC017&GRP=MC017&PCODE=KIR46101 )

Please help my tiny little mind.

bccox18

posted on 30/6/04 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I believe Andy is refering to making a seat entirely out of foam/black bag and not an insert for an existing one.

I have done this with my car and the end product is very comfortable, although it may not be to your taste if you don't like the 'racer' look as its covered in black tape!

When making it, you dont need to use a complex pre-made former for the foam. I only used a piece of MDF to support the seat back and a few bits to stop it spilling out over the transmission tunnel, although this depends on the car and the area around the seat.

There should be a pic below showing the end result!

Hope this helps.

Bob

[Edited on 30/6/04 by bccox18] Rescued attachment M3-1.jpg
Rescued attachment M3-1.jpg

chrisf

posted on 7/7/04 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sandable foam?

Is this 2 part PU foam sandable? This looks like just the stuff to form to a final finish, cover in bondo, sand to 600, then use it as a buck. Anyone tried this before?

What about the spray stuff?

bccox18

posted on 7/7/04 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, the two part PU foam is sandable and is easily shaped.
From what I have read on various sites it is good for a base for a mould but needs a coat of some type of filler to get the required surface finish to be used as a mould.

Bob

nasty

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any examples of making such a seat. I have a Striker and I just about fit (16.5 stone, 5'10" so most conventional seats don't work too well and the cushion seat, while comfy enough is starting to come apart.

In particular, how long do you have to sit on it to get it to shape and is it and how well do they last.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.