Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New job at Beds, Any good areas to live?
Flick

posted on 12/4/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
New job at Beds, Any good areas to live?

Hi
Taken job working out of Bedford. Got to move from Notts. Dont have time to look round all areas, so though id narrow it down if anyone can help. Ideally be within 45 min drive from Bedford and ok area to bring up kids (schools etc) Was told to look round rushden/wellingborough/peterborough? any good?

Many Thanks

graememk

posted on 12/4/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
sandy , biggleswade.

carpmart

posted on 13/4/10 at 04:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mid beds is good but quite a bit more expensive than north Beds and South Northants!

Send me a U2U and we can have a chat!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Dingz

posted on 13/4/10 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with Bedford itself? I suppose I am biased. There are several people on here from Rushden, (handy for Santa Pod) Wellingborough, way. A bit of a trek from Peterborough but good roads now.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

need4speed

posted on 13/4/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Clapham, Milton Earnest, North Beds villages also great, is as for Bedford depends on which area. Some areas of Rushden & Wellingbrough are good but as in all towns some not so good.

Have a look then ask again for specific local info.

Peterbrough is ok so long as the A1 & Black Cat is fine but it will be up to your 45min limit.

franky

posted on 13/4/10 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I use to work at sandy/chicksands, nice places around there.
kendo

posted on 13/4/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
beds

My parents live in Bromham, just to the west of Bedford. That's a nice place.
Tris

posted on 13/4/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
The thing i have found about bedford is that it can be a pain to get across the river from one side of the town to the other in rush hour/s. You may want to consider this depending on where your going to work.

I live just to the south of bedford and if your looking to buy, it does get cheaper to the east of bedford (sandy/ biggleswade direction).

geeksandlies

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Your budget would probably dictate this. I am in Milton Keynes which is only 20 minutes up the road from bedford (30-40 at the minute though as they are digging half of the 421 up for the next 9 months). It depends on which side you are working as well and what you are looking for comute wise as well! St Neots, Kempston, Newport Pagnell, Huntingdon, Ampthill, Olney even Buckingham at a push, the list is endless, i grew up round here and i am not a fan of Northampton or Peterborough but thats probably due to Rugby/Cricket/Athletics rivallry as a youngun! For school and ease of access to them look at the major towns, Bedford, Northampton, Milton Keynes and the areas close by, most of the school have a decent ish bus service for some of the rural or slightly out of the way areas like Newport, Olney, Flitwick, Bilgeswade and Sandy! For reference OIlney has an ace B road to Bedford for a good "Spirited" drive int he mornings! The prices on rental and buying vary HUGELY from here to Northampton and to Bedford all have there good bits and bad bits of town too! I wouldnt want to be making the choice thats for sure
PAULD

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
As above. Where is your job located? Unless you cycle you don't want to live live in Bromham and travel to Bedford, the queues can be dreadful (I go the other way) You need to look on a houses for sale website as prices vary considerably around the villages and in town ( I know, two of my kids are house hunting).
karlak

posted on 13/4/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I live in Cranfield and agree with lots of the above. School catchment could be an issue if your Kids are of that age - There is a lot of competition to get into the better Schools.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Flick

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies.
The reason for looking North of Bedford is that my wife want to be able to get back to South Notts in around an hour for family etc.
I work on the railway. The working hours tend to be different than that of the typical 8-6 so rush hours/heavy traffic have rarely been an issue and dont mind travelling.
Think as a guide may have around 200k to spend (got to leave some for a new kit)
Oh and must have 4 beds and most importantly a garage.

Liam

posted on 13/4/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Wow didn't know there were so many of us!

Hmmm probably wont get a 4-bed with a garage in any of the villages for that budget I wouldn't have thought, so you'll probably be looking around one of the towns - rushden, wellingborough etc. Don't know much about oop north as I'm part of the south beds massive. Getting in the Sharnbrook Upper catchment area is considered desirable I believe. Close to the Pod and Silverstone up there too. It's a fantastic place really - welcome I'm sure the local northerners can be more specific on where to avoid/look for north of beds.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.