Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B+E license
speedyxjs

posted on 14/4/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
B+E license

Got my first 4 hour session doing my B+E license tomorrow morning at 7.30.

Has anyone got any advice as im a bit nervous (and i dont normally get nervous!)?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

fesycresy

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
bacon and eggs ???????????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Benzine

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Piddly little B+E? If it was C+E I'd have sympathy for you ^_^

Edit: Good luck, you can do it!

[Edited on 14/4/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
whats a b+e? a trailer? man up

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah trailer but i really need to get it ASAP. I think thats why i am a bit nervous

Benzine - I wish it were the C+E but that still wouldnt allow me to tow a trailer with the tintop Plus it would need renewal every year.

[Edited on 14-4-10 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

robocog

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I feel your nerves
Got my Bike Module 1 (retest) tomorrow
Hopefully this time I wont lock the rear on the emergency stop!

Good luck with it
what time is your test?

Thankfully mine is well early (8:30) so wont be spending the whole day builiding up worry about it this time (just longer to regret getting something wrong if I cock up)

Regards
Rob

JoelP

posted on 14/4/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
good luck speedy! Im going to do B+E soon. Have you got much experience with trailers? Always helps!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Davegtst

posted on 14/4/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about the towing part. The hard bit for me was going right back to basics, you have to pass you driving test again with the added bonus of pullig a trailer along. When i did mine i thought it would be just a few tests to make sure you could reverse it properly. One bit a lot of people fail on is when you have to disconect the trailer, drive off then reverse back and reconect it without moving the trailer. I fluked mine somehow and reversed the ball diectly under the hitch, i still don't know how i did it.
coozer

posted on 14/4/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why not go C+E and get the whole lot??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitestu

posted on 14/4/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad I'm an old git and don't have to do this!

Why on earth do you need an additional test to tow a trailer!

bi22le

posted on 14/4/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I need to pass a test to tow a trailer?
I passed my test in 2000. Would I have to do a test to tow?

Ill check the back of my card me thinks.
I was just going to hire one and go!

Thanks for the heads up

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

blakep82

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Thanks for the heads up

you're very much restriced if you pass after 1997. not very fair i think, but makes sense i suppose. was a bit wrong for someone to be able to pass their test in a mini on a friday, and drive a 7.5 ton truck on a saturday

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

matt_claydon

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Benzine - I wish it were the C+E but that still wouldnt allow me to tow a trailer with the tintop Plus it would need renewal every year.

How come?
quote:

Upgrading entitlement for trailers

In general, an additional driving test is required for each category or subcategory of entitlement. But there are certain exceptions to this where drivers have already passed one test which involves trailer entitlement for a larger or equivalent sized vehicle.

This means that passing a test for subcategory C1+E or D1+E upgrades category B entitlement to B+E. A test pass for subcategory C1+E upgrades subcategory D1, if held, to D1+E. But a test pass for subcategory D1+E does not upgrade subcategory C1 to C1+E because the trailer size required for a subcategory D1+E test is smaller than that required for a subcategory C1+E test.

Passing a test for category C+E upgrades category B entitlement to B+E and also confers entitlement to subcategory C1 and C1+E and, if category D or subcategory D1 is held, these are upgraded to category D+E or subcategory D1+E. A test passed for category D+E upgrades category B and subcategory D1 to category B+E and subcategory D1+E respectively. But it does not upgrade category C or subcategory C1 entitlements because the trailer size required for a category D+E test is smaller than that required for a category C+E or subcategory C1+E test.

[Edited on 14/4/10 by matt_claydon]

RIE

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Thanks for the heads up

You're fine with a trailer up to 750Kg

Category
Description
Minimum age

B
Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg
17*

B
As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle
17*

B auto
As category B with automatic transmission
17*

B+E
As category B but with a heavier trailer that isn't covered in the descriptions for category B

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

I don't know what the difference is between B and B though.

phelpsa

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'm hoping to do mine soon to take some of the load of my dad driving to events. Good luck!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Did mine last year. Easy peasy. The worse bit is remembering to drive correctly. I had 2 hours training and then the test.

[Edited on 15/4/10 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ChrisW

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you're very much restriced if you pass after 1997.

Tell me about it! I passed in 1997 and am one of the first to have the restrictions.

I am hoping to do the test soon so this intrigued me:

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
One bit a lot of people fail on is when you have to disconect the trailer, drive off then reverse back and reconect it without moving the trailer.

I've got a (factory fitted) camera in the boot handle of my Audi which comes on when I reverse. Makes is dead easy to hook up trailers. Would that be classed as cheating?

Chris

iDENTITi

posted on 15/4/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
So uh, sorry to hijack a little bit, but does this mean I can't tow the kit around on a trailer? I'm about to take my test next month...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.