Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTM Libra
matty h

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
GTM Libra

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1641937.htm
Have one off these myself got to be the most practical kit car there is and westfield have now stopped them.This car should be like new looking at what has been do to it.Looks like a bargain to me.

tegwin

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Buy that... or a VX220.... hmmm... not a difficult choice im afraid...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Bluemoon

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

but ~ at 2x the price the GTM looks more attractive.. Same price as a cheap 7 etc...

MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You'd get a pretty rough VX220 for that, and they aren't exactly the prettiest looking things.

stuart_g

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

VX220 has a Vauxhall badge on it, there's good enough reason to buy the GTM.

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Peteff

posted on 15/4/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was tempted till I read the bit about golf clubs

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gottabedone

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
The Libra is an ace little car with a surprising amount of space! IMO the Vauuhall is a bit fugly.

Steve

scootz

posted on 16/4/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Tegwin... I'd far rather buy a rough VX220 for £7k !

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeRJ

posted on 16/4/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'm with Tegwin... I'd far rather buy a rough VX220 for £7k !

You'd sell it a few weeks later though

Ferg

posted on 24/4/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I know which I'd have.
It wouldn't be the shitty Vauxhall.

scootz

posted on 24/4/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Blown all your credibility by referring to it as 'shitty'!

Clearly you've never driven one, or are aware of it's DNA!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ferg

posted on 24/4/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've driven both. Have you???

The Libra is far more practical, faster than an N/A and handles *almost* as well, certainly imperceptible in road driving. I've not had a VX on the track.
I'd have a decent S1 Elise over the Libra, but not an N/A VX. Come to that, I'm not sure I'd want a Turbo, but that's personal preference. I'm not a turbo engine person.

Gutted I've blown all my credibility.

[Edited on 24/4/10 by Ferg]

scootz

posted on 24/4/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not interested in how it compares to the Libra... what I'm saying is that it's by no stretch of the imagination a 'shitty' car! That's just absurd and smacks of an ulterior agenda...

FWIW... yes, I have driven a GTM... and no, I wasn't overly impressed!

I've also owned a VX, an Elise and an Exige... I'd say that the Lotus badged cars were slightly better, but not enough to justify the gap in second-hand values!

IMHO, the VX only suffers as a result of it's badging...

It's Evolution Baby!

Ferg

posted on 24/4/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm concerned, the very fact that they got Lotus to build a car that sold so badly that they had to pep it up with the Turbo to shift it says a lot about what sort of car it was.

More critically, you thinking that my opinion of the VX should in some way be coloured by the 'DNA' of Lotus is pretty ludicrous. I have NO IDEA how different the Elise S1 and N/A VX220 are under the skin, but they drive VERY differently, don't they.
At least in my experience.
Sorry you drove a bad Libra. It was a Libra was it, you only said GTM. Maybe it was an early car. That's the thing with kits isn't it? All depends on how good the builder is.

scootz

posted on 24/4/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferg
As far as I'm concerned, the very fact that they got Lotus to build a car that sold so badly that they had to pep it up with the Turbo to shift it says a lot about what sort of car it was.

It was a slow seller because of 'badge-snobbery' and the fact that a new VX was priced so closely to an Elise... nothing else! Lotus aficionados were unlikely to buy a Vauxhall, and Vauxhall customers would be more likely to buy the Lotus if they wanted a little buzz-bomb toy and had the thick-end of £25k in their pocket! Let's be honest... Vauxhall is at the other end of the 'cool-wall' spectrum compared to a brand like Lotus!

Vauxhall knew they wouldn't fly off the shelf! It was basically a Lotus sponsorship arrangement whereby Vauxhall could get a little look at the Lotus tech-know-how and also raise the more mainstream 'VX' and 'VXR' branded model profiles.

As for the ability of the car... well, many motoring journalists enthused about the VX and some declared it the better road-going car (What Car magazines 'Roadster of the Year' for 3 years running!!!). It was just a little 'softer' than the Lotus equivalent and was deliberately engineered so by Lotus at Vauxhalls request.

Engine wise, the VX models stole a march on their Elise siblings... the NA VX cars were more powerful than the K-series Elise S2 and the turbo cars more powerful than the Toyota powered Elise S2!

quote:
I have NO IDEA how different the Elise S1 and N/A VX220 are under the skin...

Then how can you say it's shitty if you don't know the mechanical differences between the cars... sure, the styling is obviously different and by all means fire away if you think it looks shitty, but a shitty car... ??? BS!

They share the same chassis and the majority of components! A change of wheels and dampers would have them handling almost identically!

quote:
But they drive VERY differently, don't they...

Do they? Er... no - not really! The VX has slightly more understeer, but as before - it was an engineering choice to make it a little more 'forgiving' so as not to scare the pants off Vauxhalls 'usual' clientele (most being used to FWD tanks!) when the limit of grip is exceeded!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.