Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which kit to build??
evo.rocks

posted on 16/4/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
which kit to build??

hi guys,

As you no i have just sold my Indy. I have now baught a house with the money i got from my indy and my new house has a garage.

I have decided that i want to build a kit from scratch this time.

I had an MK and i quite like the look of an MNR.

Can you please give me the pros and cons of these two cars and which of the two would be easier, and most importantly cheaper to build??

What engine would people also recomend. It will be BEC again by the way, the last engine i had was a ZX9 and that was fantastic - i dont have hayabusa money but what other engine is easy to install which is alot quicker??

daniel mason

posted on 16/4/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
it wont be cheap what ever you do as you need reverse box (£500) to add on. plus paddle shift. (no donor)
it would probably be a bit cheaper to go cec (with donor)and the mnr mx5 is very good value! and am sure a bmw powered one is on its way soon

eddie99

posted on 16/4/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously i would say GTS for the kit. But im biased. Look at CEC, look at what Flak monkey has done with his duratec. That'll be alot better than any bike engine

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
franky

posted on 17/4/10 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
When I was looking I was very impressed with the set-up they had at MNR and would have got one from there bar the cost of building a BEC ie engine/2x props/powercommander/set-up on a rolling road/paddle shift or gear shift kit/sorting the sump etc.

But if thats what you want to do then good for you Just buy the kit that you're most happy with, no point getting something then 6 months later wishing you had spend another £500 or so to get what you really wanted.

The road runner racing car looks like a nice bit of kit that should suit a BEC well.

clairetoo

posted on 17/4/10 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evo.rocks

I have now bought a house with the money i got from my indy

How much did you get for it

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

big_wasa

posted on 17/4/10 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
For a 7 my money would go on a GKD.

Bmw donor with choice of engine from a 1.6 4cyl up to the 6cyl 3.2 M3

I think its got nice lines and there wont be many on the road at the min'

eznfrank

posted on 17/4/10 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
As always depends what you want to use the car for. In the grand scheme of things there won't be a huge amount between MK and MNR in cost.

In terms of bike engines with grunt you could look for a ZX12, pretty much the same power as Busa but around a grand cheaper!! And no dry sump required.

In terms of reverse I've just got an electric reverse off MK, it's not brilliant but it'll get me through IVA and that's all I'm bothered about.

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/4/10 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
2nd vote for a Panther

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Daddylonglegs

posted on 17/4/10 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Beat me to it Claire lol!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

richardh

posted on 17/4/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have another MNR (biased) but also like the MK.
MNR now do an MX5 (turbo bolt on) and a BMW on the way (might be at Stoneleigh)

There are bits of each i like, build costs are very similar.

R1 bike power is good, cheap -ish but very fast.

The reverse can be a bit of a pain especially in normal driving. My BEC was great flat out /track too i suspect but crap in towns, slower areas.

If you put in something like a bmw 328 engine you'd get similar power to an M5, 959, 911, 550 maranello (based on westfield site stats)

Time for a change!

fesycresy

posted on 17/4/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Obviously i would say GTS for the kit. But im biased. Look at CEC, look at what Flak monkey has done with his duratec. That'll be alot better than any bike engine

Any bike engine? I'm sure Duncan Cowper would disagree (busa turbo Dax - running about 400bhp at the moment).

They all cost pretty much the same to build, it's down to personal preference.

Which is the better car ? Who knows. Two cars, same engines, driver, tyres, etc etc, one day perhaps.........

Engine wise, I'd go ZX12, no brainer there.

Also the GRP seems much better on the MNR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

adithorp

posted on 17/4/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Why is it that when someone asks "which bike engine should I go for?" people pipe up with car engines? If he asked whether he should go CEC or BEC fair enough... but that wasn't the question.

The RoadRunner looks nice and has good recommendations.

Engine wise... Injected R1 gives good power, simple instalation (no dry sump). I'd say go for an 04-06 one as the later ones are more "trick".

MNR's reverse box looks like the one to go for over the Westy/Quaife ones. Thats what I'll upgrade to when I get time. Electric is ok if you only want it for show/IVA.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RIE

posted on 17/4/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:

I have now bought a house with the money i got from my indy

How much did you get for it

He lives in Warrington, that should explain it.

easisatman

posted on 17/4/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
The striker is a good kit - race proven as well
but i am biased as well!! goes great with a R1 engine as Adrian has said

Paul

adithorp

posted on 17/4/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
With my Jeremy Phillips hat on... I'll go along with StR1ker... or R1ot... or FuR1...

adrian

[Edited on 17/4/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scootz

posted on 17/4/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
If it has to be BEC, then it would have to be a Midi chassis for moi!

It's Evolution Baby!

twybrow

posted on 17/4/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
No mention of the Stuart Taylor/Aries kit? The chassis is regarded as one of the best Locost/7esque out there. As for the bike engine, well I have a ZX12 in my garage waiting until I low my current lump/next winter, whichever is sooner! Later R1s (04 onwards) make their power very high in the rev range, so you need to be going 10/10ths to get the best out of them. Personally, I would look at an older carbed engine and a turbo!
easisatman

posted on 17/4/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Or even Raws new fulcrum that looks good and different to a 7
Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/4/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Striker with a ZX10R I recon
bassett

posted on 17/4/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am very impressed with how my MNR has turned out. I think you can achieve a better, more factory looking car with the MNR rather than the MK as it has a complete tub which is a pain to work with but in the end is worth it. The chassis design is quite well thought out with major brackets for things you will need but how one compares to another on the road is very hard to say with more emphasis on how the car has been prepared/setup. Ours hasnt been all plain sailing things do go wrong but on the whole budget I am very glad we went for the MNR over the Tiger kit we almost bought. As for the budget MNR supplied all the bits in a box pretty much and the build only went over this cost by about 8-10% which includes all SVA gear/fees and tools etc which i think is quite good.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

BenB

posted on 17/4/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
No mention of the Stuart Taylor/Aries kit? The chassis is regarded as one of the best Locost/7esque out there. As for the bike engine, well I have a ZX12 in my garage waiting until I low my current lump/next winter, whichever is sooner! Later R1s (04 onwards) make their power very high in the rev range, so you need to be going 10/10ths to get the best out of them. Personally, I would look at an older carbed engine and a turbo!

I'm quite happy with my STM / Aries kit as well I certainly fit with the "older carbed engine" as mine is 1990 vintage. Still puts a silly grin on my face when I drive it though!!

GeorgeM

posted on 17/4/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Another (biased) vote for the MNR with R1

As to ease of build, all fixings included, bagged & labellled. New build manual is good too.

[Edited on 17-4-10 by GeorgeM]

[Edited on 17-4-10 by GeorgeM]

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

evo.rocks

posted on 17/4/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
i think i will go with MNR as they seem easiere to build and i actually think they look nicer than the MK i previously had.

Oh and i picked up £8000 for my MK.

How much does the MNR kit cost, without the engine so i have a rough idea??

what will i need to spend to have a rolling chassis with all suspension and brakes fitted??

GeorgeM

posted on 18/4/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i think i will go with MNR as they seem easiere to build and i actually think they look nicer than the MK i previously had.

Oh and i picked up £8000 for my MK.

How much does the MNR kit cost, without the engine so i have a rough idea??

what will i need to spend to have a rolling chassis with all suspension and brakes fitted??

Give Chris at MNR a call, he'll sort you a package depending on what set up you require

You won't regret it !

GeorgeM

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

bassett

posted on 18/4/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Cost as said speak to Chris/Marc as it all depends on the spec as you have several options with what you could probably call basic, track focused and race components. For instance there are Sierra/Cortina front ends, Poly bush/rod ends, steel/alloy uprights, Wilwoods or R16 Calipers etc Very worthwhile seeing what you want from the car parts list on the MNR site and gives you something to check through whats included in the price/spec they can offer as you dont want to be missing some of these expensive items. I would imagine budget for anything between £8-14k obviously depending on spec and how much you buy seperately/make/do yourself .
Adam

[Edited on 18/4/10 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.