Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Increasing compression
thepest

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Increasing compression

My Question is, if you increase the compression ratio of an engine (IE change pistons or skimm block etc) how will that affect the mixture if everything else remains as standard?

+EG: if you had an engine running on webers or standard EFi if you increase Compression ratio how will that affect the mixture?

mookaloid

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate

I would think you will need a richer mixture. The higher the compression ratio, the more it is likely to pink so you will need a richer mixture or a higher octane fuel and probably you will need to change the timing too.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

brianthemagical

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly. It depends a lot on the engine and set-up. Theoretically no, as the new charge is drawn in at the same AFR, and all the old charge is expelled.
I doubt you'd notice it if the AFR did change.

Edit:are you asking if the AFR would need to be changed, or if with the same fueling the AFR will change?

[Edited on 18/4/10 by brianthemagical]

thepest

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, my question is would it require re-jetting or re-mapping... and if so would it required to be leaned off or enrichened?
brianthemagical

posted on 18/4/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
You'd be able to get away without a re-map, depending on what the CR's are. Ignition timing would possibly be OK, but there's a chance it may det, depening on the engine. You'll probably find gains from a re-map though, and why go to the trouble of changing the CR without a re-map.
thepest

posted on 18/4/10 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Basically I have rebuilt a toyota 3s-gte engine. I have used the same exact parts (IE no upgrades) but its running incredibly rich under heavy load & boost IE 10:1 AFR, I had skimmed the block and the head plus pocketed the pistons to suit CR. I obviously have done something wrong but cannot figure what
brianthemagical

posted on 19/4/10 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
What kind of managment/fueling does it use?
What kind of AFR's was before the rebuild?

thepest

posted on 19/4/10 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Standard Management using an airflow meter not map. I used to have 11.7:1 now its way below 10:1 under boost... way to rich.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.