Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear wind deflector?
David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Rear wind deflector?

Has anyone tried something like this on a 7-style car? (this one's on an MX5)

I've been in an open car that had something similar fitted, and it was very effective (although the windscreen was a better shape that the flat one on a seven!).

I just thought that it would be a fairly simple solution to an age-old seven-alike problem, as the panel could easily be fitted to the front of the roll bar.

55ant

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
no, because im a man.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

cd.thomson

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
no, because im a man.

LOL - there goes my cup of tea all over the keyboard

Craig

big-vee-twin

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Go to softbits for sevens web site they make somthing that attaches to the seats

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
no, because im a man.

Stupid boy!

[Edited on 22/4/10 by David Jenkins]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Im working on an idea to do something just like that.

55ant

posted on 22/4/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stupid boy!

lol.

on a serious note, ive been in an alfa spider with one and it was good until the windows were down,

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

speedyxjs

posted on 22/4/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Iv thought about a wind deflector post IVA and when i have fitted a screen

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

eddie99

posted on 22/4/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I personally think screens are for wimps so wind deflectors lol. Also don't think wind deflectors will work without side screens. They only work in tintops when windows are up as mentioned above ^^^^

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Humbug

posted on 22/4/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
You could probably do it by lashing a couple of kiddie sun blinds to the roll bar (might have pandas or something on them though!)

Alternative might be to use a piece of hardboard/plywood cut to size and fixed to the roll bar to try out. If that works, get a piece of Lexan, etc.

Simon

ETA ... or buy one from Soft bits for sevens: linky. No price on the website though...

[Edited on 22.04.2010 by Humbug]

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have suitable headrests for the softbits one (GRP seats) and I bet they're not cheap either.

Hadn't thought about the 'windows up' business - perhaps that's the thing that would stop me trying it - no windows!

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 22/4/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
With my experience of side screens on my MK it would render the rear wind deflector useless as the doors do more than a good enough job of keeping the wind out of the cockpit. That is if the wind deflector only works with the windows up on a normal car of which i have no experience!

Riskyshift

posted on 22/4/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Although I haven't fitted anything yet - I am going to try adapting door fly screen available on flea bay at £4. Not sure it will make any difference but at least will satisfy my curiosity...

Ian

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I personally think screens are for wimps so wind deflectors lol.

I thought that way for 4 years - then got fed up with having to dress up in warm clothing and a crash helmet every time I went out. The helmet was especially onerous on hot Summer days.

One thing has become very clear (literally) since fitting the screen - my all-round vision is much improved now that I don't wear the helmet. I hadn't realised how much the lid restricted the view, and how much the visor reduced the clarity.

Vindi_andy

posted on 23/4/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What about for kids?

My 2 girls are getting battered in the back of tango so I am looking at trying to do something. Probably need to look an sidescreens first.

Just wondering if I need front ones as well as rear ones or could i just get away with one just in the rear.

Not really expecting anyone to know that one cos there arent that many 4 seaters out there

iank

posted on 23/4/10 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
quote:

What about for kids?

My 2 girls are getting battered in the back of tango so I am looking at trying to do something. Probably need to look an sidescreens first.

Just wondering if I need front ones as well as rear ones or could i just get away with one just in the rear.

Not really expecting anyone to know that one cos there arent that many 4 seaters out there

How would you fit ones to just the rear?
I think extra long ones might work but preventing them flapping might be a challenge.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

beaver34

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
they make a huge differnce in normal cars
morcus

posted on 23/4/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Would it work on a four seater? I only ask cause when I see them on four seat convertibles they usually cover the back seats (I saw a man with one in place in his astra twin top, with the roof up, and watched him try and get it out without putting the roof down).

I would think that fitting side screens and a deflector on the wind screen would be a better plan as the cabin is small.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Vindi_andy

posted on 23/4/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
IanK if you look in my archive youll see the roll cage has an upright behind the drivers seat and one behind the rear seats with a horizontal bar running front to back where i was thinking of hinging some gullwing like doors (when I get round to making them)

Just concerned that if I put gull wings on the back but nothing on the front Ill just be making things worse for the girls as I will essentially create a wind tunnel

Mix

posted on 23/4/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

In my experience, (OK in a Lotus Elise), it's the turbulence coming off the sides of the windscreen that is most noticeable. Driving with the lid off and the windows up is fine. So I would look at some form of long side screen before considering a 'wind deflector / attenuator' behind the seats.

Regards Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.