Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shipping container
ChrisW

posted on 23/4/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Shipping container

Very off topic I know, but I'm looking for a 20ft shipping container to use for storage.

Must be watertight, as I'm going to use it to store furniture, including two leather sofas and a bed, and don't want them getting ruined.

I know a guy with a hiab, so moving it shouldn't be an issue. However, it might get expensive if you're a long way away.

Anyone help?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 23/4/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
How long for? I know they can be hired.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Davey D

posted on 23/4/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Are you looking to buy one, or rent one?

normally it is easier to get hold of a cheap 40' to buy than a 20' as everyone seems to want the 20' containers

ChrisW

posted on 23/4/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Looking to buy. I've got a place to put it, but I wouldn't fit a 40ft one in!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/4/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
You will have to insulate it as they are really bad for condensation.... the one we had here was a problem with the dew point effect when the temps fluctuated. unless you put a dehumidifier in it

owelly

posted on 23/4/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £500 for a 20' and that included getting it 60 miles to my place. I could have had a 40' for £400.........
I'll soon be paying £25/week to rent a 20' for my furniture. If I was a few miles North or South, a 40' is £20/week!!

Look in the Exchange and MArt and of course, Ebay.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/4/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I bought 2x20' containers about 6 years ago from a freight forwarding/import place they were really good condition ones which had "lost their sea ticket" apparently. Including 10 miles delivery they were 1500 quid.

I have learnt the hard way Chris, we ruined a a number of things, including furniture, with the condensation. It is a serious problem. I understand the best way to combat it is to provide constant ventilation/air movement as air dryers can't keep up if the weather is really cold.

We kitted them out with lights and a consumer unit. Even a 16amp for my big lathe.

[Edited on 23/4/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

GMPMotorsport

posted on 23/4/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
loads of them on e-bay, even better if you can arrange collection & off loading.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

ChrisW

posted on 24/4/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the option of power, so I could fit extractors and/or dehumidifier/air con unit if needs be. Any recommendations?

(There's no electric meter on my supply, so doesn't matter how much power is used as long as it's not significant enough to notice on the site power bill - about 20 serviced offices)

Chris

Peteff

posted on 24/4/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Somebody on mig welding forum is after cutting up a 40" container he has on a farm somewhere, buy half of that off him

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.