Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake light testing test thingy
macspeedy

posted on 11/5/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
brake light testing test thingy

I remember when i owned my minis that there was a brake testing switch thingy and that i now need it for my car or do I help!
Mk-Ninja

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
There should be a switch already fitted on the sierra master cylinder, just press the yellow cap on the top.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have wondered about this one, if you have a combined hadnbrake warning light/low fluid warning light, does the handbrake count as a test switch??
Mk-Ninja

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dont think so the tester on my sva checked the button on the master cylinder as well as the handbrake.

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks, I'll make sure that the "floaty buttons" work right!!

Cheers

macspeedy

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
be'in stupid here, what does that proove
Mr G

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
The correct setup as per production ford is that the dash light is handbrake and fluid level warning. Putting the handbrake on tests that the bulb is working - the test plunger on the reservoir(s) tests that the low level warning circuit is operating ok.

Aftermarket looms (premier etc) are the same setup as ford etc

Cheers

G

Mk-Ninja

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
guess it proves the low level warning system functions, then normaly the handbrake proves the bulb is ok. I guess you could just unscrew the cap to effect the test though.

Fifer

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
You dont need the H/Brake light to work.
You do need a means of testing the brake fluid low level switch from the driver seat and they will test the switch from the master cyl also. Oh, and the test switch in the dash must have the correct sign on it.
On spilt systems you will need both master cyls to work also

I think

macspeedy

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
but surely production cars do not have a method of checking the level light from the drivers seat so..
Fifer

posted on 11/5/04 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Turn on your production car ignition, the brake warning light comes on. Start up, it goes off. Fluid level falls, it comes on. I guess the SVA needs to see that the brake fluid level swiotch is a) working and b) comes on when fluid level falls.
Thats my interpritation from the book and how I did mine.
Maybe an overkill but should keep them happy.

Mr G

posted on 11/5/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think the misunderstanding is the wording of the post i.e it looks like you need to be able to check the reservoir tester plungers from inside the car.
britishtrident

posted on 11/5/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
The handbrake switch qualifies as the bulb test from the drivers seat.
The old Talbot Sunbeam had it the bulb test via the door courtesy lamp switch.

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/04 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Right, just read the SVA bible and you don't actually need the lamp for low fluid level warning at all if you have clear reservoirs. If the reservoirs cannot be seen through then you need the lamp, but it is indeed (as Britishtrident says) the "lamp" that is tested from the drivers position, so the handbrake is fine as the "test switch" (as is the courtesy light switch or anything else for that matter)

It specifically says "without opening the reservoir" as well as "from the driver's seat" so even if you can reach the reservoirs undoing the tops is no good!

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/04 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
the correct wording is a self test level switch you can buy them like the mini ones which when pressed will illuminate to prove it works and mr sva man will test it at dash and master cylinder and as stated it has to have the correct symbol on it also if using bias brakes he likes 1 reservior with level switch in spliting off to master cylinders

with all due respect, if this is what the SVA man thinks then he can get stuffed!! I would rather have two reservoirs thanks all the same! That way with a level lamp on each and a leak on one circuit you get a warning and 1/2 your brakes still working!! If you have one reservoir then you get a lamp then very quickly no brakes at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellfire

posted on 11/5/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Organically posted by NS Dev
with all due respect, if this is what the SVA man thinks then he can get stuffed!! I would rather have two reservoirs thanks all the same! That way with a level lamp on each and a leak on one circuit you get a warning and 1/2 your brakes still working!! If you have one reservoir then you get a lamp then very quickly no brakes at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a very fair point actually. Maybe having two reservoirs means having to install two level switches then? Both linked to handbrake or as stated a seperate 'test' switch.

NS Dev

posted on 12/5/04 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, that's right, I was planning on using Girling integral m/cyls with Ford level sensonr caps on as per someone on this site's photos, and have the caps wired so either or both will switch the light on.
britishtrident

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

snip

Dual resevoirs should devide halfway down so tht one circuit should still have a reserve in the event of a leak but some are much better than others in this respect.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.