Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT wooden boat
tegwin

posted on 6/5/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
OT wooden boat

Having not worked much with wood until recently, I am fascinated with it... I am toying with the idea of building a small(ish) inboard boat... something like this:

http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/gar_wood_speedster_miss_behave.htm

Realistically, how hard do you recon it would be to build something like that with little joinery expereince?

Any idea how much the wood for something like that would cost... a LOT i would imagine

Anyone know any plans for other similar style boats that would be suitable for use on coastal water? IE.. somewhere with some waves!)

Just look at the woodwork on this:

[Edited on 6/5/10 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

richardlee237

posted on 6/5/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I built an 18ft inboard offshore racer a few years ago. It took 2 of us working almost every evening and weekend about 9 months.
If you read plenty of books on boatbulding and have good practical skills you should be OK.
However there are a lot of jobs which really demand 2 people
With care and attention to detail you could end up with a boat that looked like the old Gar Woods racer.

Go on go for it !!

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

cadebytiger

posted on 6/5/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
WOW - that looks amazing!

You probably need quite a bit of space for bending wood and the like.

Will be interested to see what people think!

rf900rush

posted on 6/5/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Somthing I always hoped too do.

Another plans sight here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 6/5/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Wow. Bet it would be easy to build it accidentally asymmetrically or so it leaked like a sieve! The finish on that boat looks rather good IE difficult
Canada EH!

posted on 6/5/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I live in an area called the Muskoka's it hase been the playground of the rich and famous for a hundred years or more.
Wooden boats of that type have been built here for all of that time.
Names such as Grevette, Minett, Minett Shields, Ditchburn and others.
These boats were built for families from the US and Canada who would bring plans from famous naval architecs to be built locally.
Such boats are still made and restored in the area. The boat you are looking at sels for around $100,000 Canadian , about 80,000 Pounds Sterling.

jlparsons

posted on 6/5/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Me and a buddy were very keen on this idea before redundancy killed it off. Still, it's on the ten year plan!

Might be worth looking at "stitch and glue" designs, they use exopy-glass bonded and coated plywood. They tend to be a little simpler in design but they can still look the bees knees and they cut production time drastically and arguably this construction can increase durability and decrease weight.

Ivan

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it - the big decision is BEB or CEB - a whole new field for discussion.
Tatey

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Here some free plans for a 14' canoe:

http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

I was planning on building it before I caught the kit car bug. Once i've finished the car and got some more space I'll be setting about building it.

I worked out that it was going to cost about £150-£200 to build, which includes all of the epoxy resin required, the plywood and glass tape. They don't look too difficult to build, its not too much money if it doesn't go to plan and it wont take too long to build. So it might be a taster to make sure that you actually want to build a proper boat.

[Edited on 6/5/10 by Tatey]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/5/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
350 Chevvy would just about push that through the water

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

JoelP

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
good timing, i was plotting a catamaran in my head all day! Stitch and glue here too.

How hard can it be?! My first boat was made of chipboard and vaguely worked.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Andi

posted on 6/5/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
lo lo lo lo locost

Marine ply and tigerseal

Chippy

posted on 6/5/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have built several boats, three of wood, and four of GRP. The wooden ones were built from the ground up, while the GRP ones were fitting out hull and superstructure. Largest wood was 28 feet, single engine, (Perkins 40 HP), six berth, took five years to build. Largest GRP was 32 feet, single engine, (Thorneycroft 65 HP), motor sailer, took two years to build. The one thing that is required on doing any of them is dedication, and the knowledge that you won't be boating for some while. I have seen many boats started, and then never finished, and sold for a pitance once the first flush of eager beaver had gone. The second thing to know is that they always cost a lot more than you think, work out a price then double it, and you may still have to add to that. Now if that hasn't put you of, then go for it, and I wish you all the best. Fair winds and safe harbours. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.