Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I have been working on my car today
The Venom Project

posted on 8/5/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have been working on my car today

So after my first thoughts about these 48 issues I was dreading my visit to MNR today, but after reading through the lists, its not too bad at all, like so many forum members said, all silly things, a clip here, something rerouted there, a washer too big and so on. I did however take the engine out today, had to drain the antifreeze and oil, but the only oil drained was the engine oil, all my oil cooler and accusump have still got there oil in. I have removed to fuel lines and brake pipes, all my interior panels are out and the next job on Monday is to route the new fuel and brake pipes and to refit the engine, then just route all the cables correctly, putting in gromets etc:

All in all not a bad day, and nice to have got the engine out and ready for a fresh start on Monday. I got a positive vibe from Marc, Chris and Iian who all helped to take my engine out, they are very hopeful that I will be in my car at Newark.

Cheers to everyone who has kept me in a positive mood with regard to this :-)

[Edited on 8/5/10 by The Venom Project]

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

daniel mason

posted on 8/5/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
why do all your brake and fuel lines need re-routing?

The Venom Project

posted on 8/5/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
fuel and brakes

Because I made a fundemental cockup making the brake pipes and my fuel lines were routed incorrectly through the centre tunnel :-(

daniel mason

posted on 8/5/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
wonder if mine are also routed incorrectly then? mine are also in the tunnel!
am up there collecting my bodywork next saturday so if you are working on your car i am more than happy to lend a hand for a few hours!

eznfrank

posted on 8/5/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Would you mind explaining a bit further?? What exactly was wrong with the routing?
RichardK

posted on 8/5/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear they're small items, see you around!

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 8/5/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
routing of fuel lines

Okay let me explain,

My fuel lines were routed up the tunnel, this is the correct way so dont get too worried, the error i made on my cahssis was that under where my Quaife reverse box is, there is a slot and I routed the fuel lines through this, I think this may have been fine, but apart from them been secured at 2 points under the rear propshaft, they were not secure anywhere else. I guess what I thought would be fine, is not :-)

in order for these fuel lines to be removed, the entire engine had to come out

My brake lines although complete and undamaged, did leak on every join hahahaha.

I thought while I have full access to the tunnel and engine bay, why not have new fuel and brake lines installed, and also I will buy new Goodridge flexi hoses. I am working on my car on Monday and Tuesday, but due to the workload MNR have, I will have to pay them to finish whatever is left to do on the eve of Tuesday as they will need the room, and I will only have Saturdays to do any work.

I think as long as the fuel and brake lines are secure, you should be okay, but please consult Marc as he is the one that takes these cars to IVA on a regular basis. Its best to have known this now, than fail the IVA...

My car now looks like it did 5 months ago

The Venom Project

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Glad to hear they're small items, see you around!

Cheers

Rich

I have been checking out your archive photos of your car, You have done a really nice job, it looks the part.

The Venom Project

posted on 15/5/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Keep smiling I keep thinking

So my car now looks like a boat, most of the bits of the car are now removed and on the floor, the bench, and some in the bin

I am trying to stay positive :-), I made a drastic mistake fitting my aero catches it seems, as I drilled through the main forward chassis rail, This will now need a solid repair (Thank you Marc) Not sure my Aero Catches will get fitted this time, unless we can devise another way of mounting them. My car will now be fitted with huge aluminium louvers to cover my cockup LOL. When I was making my car more distinctive I didn't think about this did I?

It will defo be more distinctive now, you might even be able to rent advertising space on my louvers

Hoping that my car moves further forward from now on and I think by Sunday afternoon it will be nearly back to looking like a car instead of a powerboat...

[Edited on 15/5/10 by The Venom Project]

daniel mason

posted on 16/5/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
what size hole did you drill through the rail?

Smartripper

posted on 16/5/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used aerocatches to on my mnr...

I taken out a section off the top tube and made a solid slide in pieces for mounting them.......

Maybe Marc can help you with that to....

Just tread them and screw them in after.

Greetings Daniel

The Venom Project

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
what size hole did you drill through the rail?

I think its about 8mm through maybe a 12 or 15mm top rail tube, but I didn't even get it square like a dumbass

The Venom Project

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smartripper
I used aerocatches to on my mnr...

I taken out a section off the top tube and made a solid slide in pieces for mounting them.......

Maybe Marc can help you with that to....

Just tread them and screw them in after.

Greetings Daniel

Hiya,

If your car is the green one I have seen on the internet I would be most appreciative of any detailed photo's of your aerocatch rail so I could pass this on to Marc, he is on with repairing my rail, and I really do prefer the look of the Aerocatches, the near side were fine as these missed the tube, but maybe replacing the tube both sides is the key?

Cheers

Nick

Irony

posted on 17/5/10 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Are you not allowed to drill through the top rail bars then? I didn't know this? I haven't mind you. I just didn't know.

The Venom Project

posted on 17/5/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Top Rail

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Are you not allowed to drill through the top rail bars then? I didn't know this? I haven't mind you. I just didn't know.

I think you maybe can, I would check beforehand, what hasn't helped me is that its not central. God I am such a twat. this car is going from bad to worse, or so it seems.

Irony

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

I think you maybe can, I would check beforehand, what hasn't helped me is that its not central. God I am such a twat. this car is going from bad to worse, or so it seems.

I must admit it is easy to get downhearted when building these cars. I have been working on mine for 8 months now and I have given myself another 12 months to get it done. It's not looking likely to be honest. What with me working long hours and the SWMBO nagging about things like 'wallpapering' and 'new stairs carpet'. Their priorities are all in the wrong order.

The Venom Project

posted on 17/5/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
build time

I want to see the big picture and hope that the end result will be blistering performance. It took me 6 months to build my car, but it seems that after rebuilding a lot of it at MNR these last few weeks its not going to be ready for Newark Show this year. Hey Ho no worries, I will still be at the show though, just maybe not in my car. My idea was that if sold my bike to fund my build, as long as it was built for the summer of 2010 it wouldn't be too bad because once on the road this would become my main toy and I woudn't miss my bike. The sacrifice I made was to spend 3 evenings a week and a full day Saturday building it till it was done. Leaving Sunday to relax and do whatever was needed in the house. This forum is great for people keeping your spirits high, and there is always someone else who has either experienced your pain, or who will simply keep you focused on the right track.

Having Man Flu this past 2 weeks hasn't helped either.

[Edited on 17/5/10 by The Venom Project]

The Venom Project

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
My Car is almost rebuilt

After lots of buggering around, my car is coming back together. Marc managed to do a super duper fix on my chassis so I now have to refit my Aero Catch posts, This might have to be a different approach with the latches coming in one side from the back and not underneath. The engine is plumbed back in and all the oil and Antilfreeze is back in, I would have tried to start it, but my battery was flat. I did manage to get the fuel pump to prime which then showed me I had another fuel leak at the rear after fitting the other fuel pump, I will have to look at this next weekend which I hope to be the last weekend before my car leaves MNR to go to Daytuner.

The brake lines still seem to leak, but hopefully Marc will have this cracked by next weekend.

and I just need some cycle wing brackets now from MNR to make the car look complete for its IVA test.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.