Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lib dems - just like any other politicians?
turbodisplay

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Lib dems - just like any other politicians?

Is it me but does it look like they are behaving like they won the election? - they are deciding who they are in power with.
If they were this noble bunch of folks, unlike the other two parties, they would have joined the tories straight away - after all they only have 1/6 of the seats of the tories.

As it is you would have thought they won by the way they are behaving, not lost five sets!

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jlparsons

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I agree, they lost seats so it wasn't a great result for them. They did however get 26% of the votes against 36% and 29% so their policies clearly carry some weight with the electorate and I would be disappointed if they simply jumped on the tory bandwagon instead of negotiating to have key policies honoured.

Not a lib dem by the way!

JoelP

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
Is it me but does it look like they are behaving like they won the election? - they are deciding who they are in power with.
If they were this noble bunch of folks, unlike the other two parties, they would have joined the tories straight away - after all they only have 1/6 of the seats of the tories.

As it is you would have thought they won by the way they are behaving, not lost five sets!

Darren

their policies are closer to labour than conservative. So you could say, 60 odd percent are vaguely in theirs or labours direction, and the rest sort of in the tory way.

The lib dems are in a bit of a pickle really, either drop a lot of their policies and join the cons, or join labour and get blasted by the papers.

How nice that our lives are run by media (over)reactions.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
agree with jlparsons - they'd be daft to just jump in bed with the Tories straight away. Surely there needs to be a lot of negotiation between the two parties on key issues otherwise it'd all just fall apart on the first policy change to come along.

I think there's going to be a lot of changes coming up on how elections are run. Why on earth for instance does Gordon Brown get 1st chance to set up a government because he's PM - even though he and his party came a pretty distant 2nd in the election?? Logic to me would be the biggest party gets 1st chance to set up government

loggyboy

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Should be like F1 Qually, we should all get to revote on the final 2 parties. (as said above, those who voted Libdem would likely revote for labour), meaning the 'clear advantage' side of the argument that the torys 'represent the majority' could not be argued.

[Edited on 9/5/10 by loggyboy]

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay

Darren

their policies are closer to labour than conservative. So you could say, 60 odd percent are vaguely in theirs or labours direction, and the rest sort of in the tory way.

The lib dems are in a bit of a pickle really, either drop a lot of their policies and join the cons, or join labour and get blasted by the papers.

How nice that our lives are run by media (over)reactions.

exactly.

if they join the conservatives they will loose what little credibility they have gained over the last few months.

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I can't see your logic, the Conservative party and what it stands for are deeply hated by grass roots Lib dems who all know Cameron will appear promise a lot but not deliver.
Clegg who to my eyes in an even bigger snake oil salesman than Cameron is or Blair was is trapped into talking to Cameron because he thought he was going to be in a much stronger position than he is.

I am an old fashioned "one nation conservative" but I haven't voted Conservative since 1978. The truth Cameron and his ultra privileged cohort might make the right noises but that is just to please the voters, if he genuinely was a reformer in the style of Ken Clark or Michael Heseltine or an honest politician like John Major or William Hague he wouldn't be in the job.

With the Labour party current going through the kind of back stabbing frenzie the the Conservative party went through after Margaret Thatcher was pushed out we can see the Labour party is full of scoundrels but el Gordo for all his presentation faults is an honest and clever man who keeps his word --- I know this through personal experience.

In Scotland the Lib dems have been working in co-operation with SNP in Labour funny thing it works rather well.

[Edited on 9/5/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
agree with jlparsons - they'd be daft to just jump in bed with the Tories straight away. Surely there needs to be a lot of negotiation between the two parties on key issues otherwise it'd all just fall apart on the first policy change to come along.

I think there's going to be a lot of changes coming up on how elections are run. Why on earth for instance does Gordon Brown get 1st chance to set up a government because he's PM - even though he and his party came a pretty distant 2nd in the election?? Logic to me would be the biggest party gets 1st chance to set up government

I dosen't work that way for good reasons, for starters imagine a situation where the national front had the largest number of seats, every other party would pretty quickly form a coalition against them.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

A1

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Lets not forget the libdems policies on legalising drugs...
Surrey Dave

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to me that although we've had an election, and the Lib Dems came 3rd, the lib dems are actually in the position of effecting what our next government will be.

So we are going from a prime minister that we didn't vote for to maybe a party that we didn't vote for.

Also I believe people have voted for the lib dems tactically to try and keep the tories out now they may join with them , my brain hurts!

[Edited on 9/5/10 by Surrey Dave]

scootz

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I just don't get this whole 'positioning' nonsense full-stop!

If you have a 'majority' via the natural voting process, then you have earned the right to stream-roll your policies through using said 'majority' government.

If you do not have a 'majority', then to effectively make deals and 'team-up' with another party just seems incredibly underhand to me!

We have voted...

The Tories won (unfortunately)...

The Tories are therefor our Government (unfortunately)...

For the country to function, we now need politicians to grow-up and to get on with reasoned debate in the hope of implementing policies for the greater good of the UK...

If they do otherwise in an attempt to be self-serving and fudge the process, then we should have the facility to remove them and remember it for the next election!

It's time the political parties remembered that they exist to serve us... not themselves!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
PS - Yes, I know my last post is simplistic, idealistic and every other type of 'istic', but sometimes the best way forward is the one based on straightforward common sense!

It's Evolution Baby!

mcerd1

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
For the country to function, we now need politicians to grow-up and to get on with reasoned debate in the hope of implementing policies for the greater good of the UK...

but if they actually had to debate and vote on every major issue then it migh become too much like a real job for them

-

scootz

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
True... and we wouldn't want that... would we!?

It's Evolution Baby!

Benzine

posted on 9/5/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
You've lost the news!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.