Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Here's what to do if you car fails the emissions test
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Here's what to do if you car fails the emissions test

This was a new one to me seeing that normally I have old cars that run carbs and never have problems with modern emission tests.

Recently I bought a Zafira, for £200 that I had been warned last MOT it had barely passed the test due to bad emissions. So when I put it through, oh boy did it do bad fortunatly the guy at the testing station was great and recommended I go and buy some stuff called CATACLEAN, never heard of it or noticed it in the shops. Found it and nearly died at the £24 price for a small bottle, better bloody work

So I pured it in with the half tank of Asda finest drove it 15 miles and then straight back to the testing station, just look at the difference in the readings! I assume it just has to pass the 2 last tests? as it went through with flying colours far better than replacing the cat or whatever...

So there you go, I did a search on the web and most folk in forums were saying it was bogus, tbh I guess none of them has ever tried it....

Hope this helps some of you get through.

here's the fail results -

Description
Description

and the rather better new one, look at the HC's!

[Edited on 9/5/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
wow, so what is this stuff supposed to actually do?
i guess it doesn't actually clean the cat out, but more makes the fuel burn differently, just for MOT time?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
well on the can it says it cleans the cat, valves, injectors etc etc which made me doubt it at first but given the fact that it smelt worringly strong i.e might explode just looking at it I guess its really a booster like nitromethane used in model plane fuels. Did the trick and I will use it next time for the MOT

This Zafira has a tiny little cat about the size of a bag of sugar looked very dinky to me.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Whn my emmisions were too high, I disconnected the Lambda, dropped off the scale and sailed through the MoT
blakep82

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
if it worked it worked. good enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
indeed

rather easier than the 10 hour slogathon it took to change the leaking steering rack, what a stupid design

you need an engine crane to change it!!

blakep82

posted on 9/5/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
what did you expect with a £200 zafira

nitram38

posted on 10/5/10 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up on cataclean. Im going to try it on my tintop.
Shame you paid so much. Just bought mine on ebay.
Offered £12.50 and got instantly refused.
Offer of £13 accepted.

MikeRJ

posted on 10/5/10 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
This was a new one to me seeing that normally I have old cars that run carbs and never have problems with modern emission tests.

That's because they won't be tested against modern emission standards!

BenB

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Car Mechanics magazine is run mostly by garage mechanics and they swear by the stuff for perking up knackered cats..... That's enough proof for me...
speedyxjs

posted on 10/5/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the post whippy. My car was close to fail on emmisions at last MOT. Will buy some of this stuff just before

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

OX

posted on 10/5/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
i used something similar on my busa ,but wasn't sure whether it was that that got it through the emissions test or the fine tweaks to the power commander
gingerprince

posted on 10/5/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sure it wasn't just a blast to the shop that warmed everything up to be more efficient? It's well known that a car that's been on a recent blast and is nice and toasty runs cleaner than one that's only just warmed up. Drive to the MOT station like you stole it!
Peteff

posted on 10/5/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
My car failed the emmissions two years ago and when I removed the front pipe, the box which was supposed to be the catalytic converter was completely hollow There was no trace of anything ever having been inside it, the injector cleaner the garage recommended I try actually increased the readings.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.