Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how the hell did this happen?!
blakep82

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
how the hell did this happen?!

don't want to ruin a 3rd gearbox mount

went to drill a hole, brand new drill bit (thankfully slightly undersize) and somehow ended up with a triangular hole?!
bolt fits alright, still quite snug, but why did that happen? is my actual drill knackered?

Description
Description

[Edited on 13/5/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

clairetoo

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to me that you had the drill running far too fast , then let it flap about a bit............

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rost

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
that happens to me in softer materials too! What kind of drill did you use? Might be a due to some play on the shaft (like more on yours so it happens with steel too) But is it really a problem? As long as the center of the hole is on the right spot, you should be alright with tightening it a little more than usual?

Charlie don't surf!

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
n00b

Craig

trialsman

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like either the bit was not in the chuck right, or bent bit, or bad bearings in the drill, or too high of drill speed. Was it a hand drill or drill press? Russ
Richard Quinn

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
All drilled holes tend to be slightly triangular. It's just more pronounced at larger sizes and even worse if your drill has a bit of play in the chuck and/or bearings.
blakep82

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
it was the slowest the drill would go.. it works in this case, but i didn't want to ruin the other hole on the other side... i'l try and charge my battery drill, thats got variable speeds. my mains power one only has 2 speeds.

not sure what type of drill tbh, hss maybe?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
wonder if there was a bit of something in the chuck, so the drill didn't sit right? i'll have to take it apart and clean it out

blakep82

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
n00b

correct. i don't do drilling. i always f*** it up somehow... taken to getting most stuff water/laser cut

caber

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Drills do that! if you want a perfectly round hole start much smaller than you want the hole then gradually increase drill size about a millimeter at a time remembering the bigger the drill the slower the speed required. Watch for the swarf coming off the bigger the bits the better otherwise you are grinding rather than drilling!. Also make sure drills are sharp and clean. Slow and steady!

Caber

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
n00b

correct. i don't do drilling. i always f*** it up somehow... taken to getting most stuff water/laser cut

im only messing bud, its the beer talking.

brothers 18th tonight

Craig

blakep82

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
n00b

im only messing bud, its the beer talking.

brothers 18th tonight

bro's 18th, and you're done already?!

cool, slow and steady wins the race will do the other one once i can get under the car. its easier that way to get the hole in the right place

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
hes in bed!!

dont make em like they used to

Craig

dhutch

posted on 13/5/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
All drilled holes tend to be slightly triangular. It's just more pronounced at larger sizes and even worse if your drill has a bit of play in the chuck and/or bearings.
Yes. this.
- Its a side effect of hand held drills and jobber drill bits. Not at all uncommon.

MikeRJ

posted on 13/5/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hand held power drills are crap for drilling accurate large holes in metal IME. They are too fast and too uncontrollable. You really need a nice slow bench or pillar drill with a proper vice so everything is held rigid.
stevebubs

posted on 13/5/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
The drill bit and workpiece were moving relative to each other so the drill bit was able to "wobble" about in the hole.

If it's a pillar drill, clamp the piece down harder, if this doesn't work then you're probably got play in the bearings (my cheap pillar drill can do this)

If you want to minise the effect, try starting with a small pilot hole and gradually work up the bits 1-2mm at a time

mcerd1

posted on 13/5/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
... taken to getting most stuff water/laser cut

that must be costing you a fair bit

quote:
hes in bed!!

dont make em like they used to

apparently not

I can't really remember my 18th, I think we started off in 'the globe' in edinburgh, but thats about all I can remember......

[Edited on 13/5/10 by mcerd1]

-

Hellfire

posted on 13/5/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
This can be due to a number of reasons:

It is called Tri-loballing.
It is caused by instability

Reasons for tri-loballing:
Incorrect Speed and/or Feed.
Drill too long for job in hand.
Pre-drilled hole.

You should always drill into solid material.
Drilling into pre-drilled holes removes the self centring properties of a drill. This is called Core Drilling and you 'should' use a drill specifically designed for this purpose. You can usually get away with it though you do get snatching and Bell Mouthing - occasionally the drill will split right up the middle due to torque.

The reason it happens is very similar to a Rotary Engine - if the drill had 3 flutes it would cut a Square. The drill needs centre support!

When drilling thin material - to prevent triloballing , use a steel block underneath. Keep the Drill as short as necessary. Drill through the plate into the block and it will prevent this. If it does not you will find that the Web (Centre Chisel Point) of the drill is too thick and causing wandering. Thin it down if you can using a grinding wheel.

Hope this helps!

I posted details about this years ago - try searching for "Drill Geometry"

EDIT - Drill Information

Steve

[Edited on 13-5-10 by Hellfire]

big_wasa

posted on 14/5/10 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
To big and to fast.

start with a pilot hole and go bigger a few mm at a time.

smart51

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
My Dad, a machine fitter by trade, said they always drilled 1/16" under size and reamed the hole to the final diameter. Perfect round holes every time. Then they demolished the entire factory and it didn't matter any more.

flak monkey

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Quick trick to stop this...

Put a piece of emery cloth grit down on where you are drilling the hole then drill through the cloth and the work.

Voila - one round hole...i kid you not!

This is normal on thin sheet with jobber drills anyway and nothing you did wrong. Its mostly down to lack of support for the tip of the drill as it breaks through meaning you get some movement between the work and drill.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

minitici

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you are hand drilling you could always try a step drill.
They seem to leave rounder holes.
You are limited to about 2.5 - 3mm metal thickness due to the step (double that if you can get to both sides of the hole).

Bluemoon

posted on 14/5/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
If you are hand drilling you could always try a step drill.
They seem to leave rounder holes.
You are limited to about 2.5 - 3mm metal thickness due to the step (double that if you can get to both sides of the hole).

Yes, but I find they move about and the hole ends up off center (o.k if just going up one "step", better using a bench drill if you have one when using a step drill and clamping it all down.. My 30Quid bench drill is very useful if totally accurate (some bearing run out) for bit's like that.

Dan

hughpinder

posted on 14/5/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
All drills make 'sided' holes where the number of sides is one more than the number of flutes on the drill. Its more pronounced if the drill can wobble eg hand held drill or nacked bearings in a press. You can make a 'wobble chuck' so that you can deliberately drill triangular/square/hex holes with the appropriate drill.
Regards
Hugh

Richard Quinn

posted on 14/5/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
All drills make 'sided' holes where the number of sides is one more than the number of flutes on the drill. Its more pronounced if the drill can wobble eg hand held drill or nacked bearings in a press. You can make a 'wobble chuck' so that you can deliberately drill triangular/square/hex holes with the appropriate drill.
Regards
Hugh

Which is how Harry Watt used a bit based on a reuleaux triangle to drill square holes back in 1914.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.