Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a couple of things...
phil4521

posted on 18/5/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
a couple of things...

Firstly can anyone give me some guidance on the best way of setting up the 2 rocker cover holes for engine breathing on my Rover V8? I know this engine puts out a lot of gas and gunk ( well mine does and its just be rebuilt be me ) and I have thought about plumbing one back into the carb vacuum hose with a non return value and a simple filter on the other or plumbing a proper oil catch tank I got for free- what works best?

Secondly a question about VOSA- I used one of this neat 3 inch LED strips for my dash that shows oil ignition indicators, main beam and brake fluid level. Do I need anything else that shows the brake fluid level circuit light is working? ie another light? Also do I need a hand break light? I have had mixed advise and want guidance from the experts....

thanks

Hope to be on road this summer- VOSA target July.

RichardK

posted on 18/5/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Does your brake res have a press switch on the top, my sierra one had a yellow rubber push top that tested the brake fluid bulb, I know cos mr sva pushed it and it didn't work! corroded contacts inside which got sort at tea break!

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 18/5/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
You need a dash warning light that illuminates when the brake fluid level is low. You do not need any other dash brake light but you do need a method of testing the low brake fluid light circuit. As this light usually works by the brake reservoir float earthing the ignition live supplied warning lamp many manufacturers use a switch that earths this same circuit at the handbrake when the handbrake is on. The earth is broken when the handbrake is released. This acts as the circuit tester for the low brake fluid light.
Agriv8

posted on 19/5/10 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
personally I would plumb to a catch tank that what I have done on mine. Officially the RV8 like a slight negative presure I belive.

If you are going through the emisions route DEFFINATLY plumb to a catch tank .

Ps steam and 'gunk' are expected after a rebuild especially if you have given the internals a good clean

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

wilkingj

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You are right about the amount of gas / pressure produced.
However, you want a PCV valve in the line not just a simple ball return.

Something just like this:

Linky

I think it reduces the amount of gas / flow going into the carb / air filter.

I also vent to a catch bottle. Not much oil comes out, but it does stop it being sprayed everywhere!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
The brake fluid warning test circuit can be anything that lights the lamp under the control of the driver. e.g.
Switch on the handbrake.
Switch on the dash.
Timed test when ignition switched on.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wilkingj

posted on 19/5/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
PCV Valve from Real Steel
Part number BYFV184 Price £2.88

DONT ask for a PCV valve for a Rover V8!
Just make this one fit. Shouldnt be too hard.

The air flow should be IN through one rocker vent (perhaps with a small air filter to stop bugs and dust getting in).
Then accross and through the lower part of the enigine, and up and OUT the other side rocker box. Then thru a flame trap (less than £2), and then the PCV valve into the Manifold or Carb PCV inlet port if its a Webber 500 or simmilar.
The air flow needs more suction than the air filter area can produce, and the PCV valve limits the flow to stop the engine whistling and hunting thru too much air at low revs etc.

There are several ways of piping this, as there are several differences in the way the engines were used and the relative piping by Rover at the time.

Basically the engine needs negative pressure in the crankcase, and the valve just limits the flow. The connecting of the pipes etc, is just to get the flow through though the whole engine.

[Edited on 19/5/2010 by wilkingj]

Best Regards
Geoff

Paul (Notts)

posted on 19/5/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
AS above...make sure you use a pcv or the webber gives too much suction.

solved all the oil leaks on mine including the vally ends and the cork sump gasket.

Paul

Jackaroo

posted on 27/5/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
PCV Valve from Real Steel
Part number BYFV184 Price £2.88

DONT ask for a PCV valve for a Rover V8!
Just make this one fit. Shouldnt be too hard.

The air flow should be IN through one rocker vent (perhaps with a small air filter to stop bugs and dust getting in).
Then accross and through the lower part of the enigine, and up and OUT the other side rocker box. Then thru a flame trap (less than £2), and then the PCV valve into the Manifold or Carb PCV inlet port if its a Webber 500 or simmilar.
The air flow needs more suction than the air filter area can produce, and the PCV valve limits the flow to stop the engine whistling and hunting thru too much air at low revs etc.

There are several ways of piping this, as there are several differences in the way the engines were used and the relative piping by Rover at the time.

Basically the engine needs negative pressure in the crankcase, and the valve just limits the flow. The connecting of the pipes etc, is just to get the flow through though the whole engine.

[Edited on 19/5/2010 by wilkingj]

Which way round must the PCV valve be connected then? In other words, if one had to pull of the pipe from the flame trap and blow into it towards the carb or manifold must the valve shut close or allow air through - or am I having a blonde moment?

Regards
Gerrie

wilkingj

posted on 27/5/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Suck om one end of the valve to determine which way it flows.
You want it to flow from the engine into the carb. Make sure you connect to one of the tubes in the base of the carb, and not just put into the air filter area.

Cheers

Best Regards
Geoff

jollygreengiant

posted on 28/5/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Suck om one end of the

Hello, Wilkingj's gone budhist on us.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.