Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ac diy tintop-topup
jlparsons

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
ac diy tintop-topup

DIY AC topup kits - worth bothering? Or better just take it to kwikfit?

Found >>THIS<< kit on tinterweb, two cans and a pressure guage/hose for £40. Pretty sure there's no leak on my two cars, both aircon systems still working fine just haven't been topped up in five years. I'm wondering if the two tins included will be enough to top up two tintops, a clio and a 3 series. Wotcher thunk?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

nitram38

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
It only cost me about £30 to get it done properly

big_wasa

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh I want to get mine rechaged after today.

I was under the impresion its no longer leagal to do it DIY ?

jlparsons

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fro what I gather it's legal to do it DIY, but it's illegal to release gas into the atmosphere which includes pumping more gas into a leaky system.

My gut feeling is a kit will only be worth it if it'll do quite a few topups.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

speedyxjs

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Only from 31 july i think

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

prawnabie

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Only from 31 july i think

Yep thats why the kits are always on offer now, you need to be registered to work on ac from 31st july

big_wasa

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ah new I had read it some where.

Any one recomend a firm near spalding lincs that wont pull my trousers down. ?

The pug is nice and cold but ive lent that my mum while I put a new engine in here bag of poo mondeo

prawnabie

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
My main concern about these kits is that the gauge reads pressure, where as the level of gas in a system is measure in grams....
britishtrident

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to watch with these kits is that they generally contain both refrigerant and oil . When the refrigerant gas leaks from system it generally dosn't take the oil with it as a result if top up from an aerosol you can end up with too much oil in the system which isn't good for system efficiency or the compressor.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jlparsons

posted on 23/5/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to get it done. THere's not much point getting the kit if legislation is going to mean I can't get the canisters in future.

Kwikfit any good for ac?

hobbsy

posted on 23/5/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think my mate used one of these from Halfords with reasonable results. I think it cost less than that.

Might be worth grabbing one now if they are going to stop selling them.

I've heard of a few people mention £30 bargain top ups but I've never found any that cheap.

When I needed one a few years ago I didn't get much change from £100.

Also spoke to a mobile aircon guy and he said he makes ££££'s/week when there is a heatwave and everyone realises their aircon is pap.

SteveWalker

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
If they were going to make it illegal for you to release the gas yourself, they should have made it illegal for manufacturers to put pipes in silly places first ... you can't change the alternator on a Focus 1.8TDCI without removing the ait-con pipes, yet you can see that simply having the bolt going in the other way would have let you! That'd be good if you break down, the AA or RAC won't be able to change the alternator for you, as they'd have to release the gas to do it.
Danozeman

posted on 23/5/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
the kits arnt that much in halfwitts.

Hi Q are doing regas and service from 45 quid. I would trust kwick fit to do it. Hi q employ better people.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

austin man

posted on 23/5/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine using a Halfrauds kit last year pressure is still good

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ChrisW

posted on 24/5/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I've heard of a few people mention £30 bargain top ups but I've never found any that cheap.

My local <town centre tyre + exchaust place> has a special offer open on Sunday afternoons for £20, but only if you pay cash and don't expect a receipt.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 24/5/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive found a guy that will do mine for 35 in his hand will see how it goes.....

Will say that even with my mate having his done at the same time he didnt really want the job. Not even for a few minuits work and a bit of gas.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.