Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much to repair broken window?
craig1410

posted on 24/5/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
How much to repair broken window?

Hi,

My neighbour has just fired a stone from his lawnmower through my living room window. It has smashed the outside pane of the double glazing but fortunately the inner pane is intact.

The window is large but is made up of smaller panes and the one which is broken is approximately 540mm x 750mm and is Pilkington glass. It is the thin double glazing units. The frame is wooden and the modules fit from the outside with wooden beading to retain the modules.

My neighbour says that he will sort out a repair rather than involve the insurance companies which is fine with me but my other neighbour reckons that these windows cost a fortune to replace/repair.

Anyone know roughly what a replacement module would cost? Hopefully I've given enough details.

Cheers,
Craig.

NigeEss

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I recently replaced two units at home, landing window aprox 1200x500 and a
bedroom one at about 1200x700.
Both were Pilkington K with a 16mm gap and were just over £70
for the pair. I'd expect to pay £25-30 for the size you need.

UPVC frames so a little easier to fit but wood beading is easy enough.

[Edited on 24/5/10 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't these frames be fitted with the beading on the inside?
I have a stable door at the back and wanted it fitting to open inwards because the wife was a shorty. This means the beads are now on the outside of the door.
Rain gets behind the beading and runs down inside. I intend to remove the beads this summer and silicon them up before replacing them, to stop the door from rotting.

[Edited on 24/5/10 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

eznfrank

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
As above, surely if the beads are on the outside the panes can be popped out by burglar bill and co??
nemesis v12

posted on 24/5/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
if your glass is less than 600mm from floor level it had got be replaced with toughened saftey glass. it will have a kite mark or EU equivilent in the corner, a doubles glazed unit that size would be about £30-40
beading from the outside isnt a problem as long as the new unit is gooked in (silcone) if he hasnt done it before tell him to run a new stanley blade round the inside of the glass and frame to free it off and prise it out from the corners witha flat bar. new wooden batterns are dead cheap pennys each just make sure he repaints or varnishes them well when he done, or they will ret away...also insist he used HARD WOOD BATTERNS as they last longer and would have been in the original windows.

to old to die young

craig1410

posted on 24/5/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies folks, £25-30 sounds okay. My other neighbour does tend to over exaggerate things but she was talking about it having cost them £500 to replace one of their window panes. I don't know much about windows but I had a feeling that was a bit on the high side.

Of course, if it was an insurance job then the price would have been inflated so maybe they were talking about the full service from emergency repair of the broken window to spit and polish.

Anyway, my neighbour has a tradesman coming round on Thursday for another project so will measure up and give a quote at that time.

I'm just glad I was at home at the time it happened because he was oblivious to the fact it had happened and we would probably have been none the wiser and blamed kids or something.

Thanks again,
Craig.

jossey

posted on 24/5/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
take out the pane of glass and take to a glass place.

i would guess £20 ish.

good luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yep about £30 for a new unit, they are pretty cheap really - even if they are toughened and k glass....

Old windows are virtually all beaded from the outside. Its only in the last 10 years windows started to be advertised as internally beaded.... strange but true!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.