Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 Engin stabilizer
Jackaroo

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
V8 Engin stabilizer

Can anyone tell me what sort of damper this is because I need something like that to stop my RV8 from having a sideways rocking motion and I haven't even started the engine yet. The original Luego rubber mountings seem a little soft. The build is only weeks away from completion now.

[img][/img]

BenB

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is it def a damper? It looks like two bits of tubes sleeve-welded together.....
Simon

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly a modified Austin Mini (to distinguish from the fake bmw mini) engine stabiliser bar.

HTH

ATB

Simon

blakep82

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Is it def a damper? It looks like two bits of tubes sleeve-welded together.....

+1

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

wilkingj

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
They are NOT dampers.
They are anti roll bar drop links.
Cut, shortened and sleeved, and welded back up.

Mini Engine stabilizer was another earlier version, but same idea / simmilar part.

I would also weld a tube into the square chassis section for the bolt, as drilling a hole that big in it, will weaken it a little.
You really want two of these bars one on each side. Bear in mind the direction of the stresses from the Engine and especially if you have more than the std 3.5litre Rover engine

[Edited on 25/5/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jackaroo

posted on 25/5/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have found this on the net after some googling at this website. Seems a little expensive though in the States $109.00

http://www.ingallseng.com/stiffy-engine-torque-damper.html

austin man

posted on 25/5/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure whether these would be too stiff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turnbuckle-3-8-UNF-Adjustable-150-mm-180-mm-/190244855594?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c4 b7a1f2a

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

wilkingj

posted on 25/5/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes they would be too stiff. They are hard eyes, and the cut drop links have rubber eyes which allow an amount of flexing, which is needed.
Believe me there is a LOT of torque in the RV8, and you need a bit of give and take in the mountings!

EDIT:
They Help prevent the engine from rocking and knocking the exhaust pipes into the side panels, and damaging them, and the exhaust header pipes, which aint cheap!

[Edited on 25/5/2010 by wilkingj]

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 25/5/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
these could be converted to have rubber bushes fitted / grafted on, then a degree of adjustment can be made to fine tune the damping

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

wilkingj

posted on 25/5/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
True... but £50 ($109) versus £3, and its no contest!

Best Regards
Geoff

v8kid

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
My V8 and gearbox are mounted solid on to the chassis with a solid torque arm - no bushes or damper.

No problems at all in fact the gearchange is much better as there is less slop.

Before some bright spark suggests it no the chassis has not cracked, its a lightweight chassis and the engine is pushing out 400ftlb torque.

The rubber mounts and dampers are designed for limo's we are driving sports cars so dump the rubbers and save weight

Cheers

MikeRJ

posted on 26/5/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
The rubber mounts and dampers are designed for limo's we are driving sports cars so dump the rubbers and save weight

How many sports cars come with solid mounted engines from a factory? Only bike engined ones, or pure track cars I suspect.

v8kid

posted on 26/5/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
We're not building factory cars if you want one buy an MX5!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.