New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clean your teeth... avoid a heart attack
James

posted on 28/5/10 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Clean your teeth... avoid a heart attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10176410.stm

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

franky

posted on 28/5/10 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
what a load of rubbish! If people aren't cleaning their teeth then its obvious that they're not looking after themselves so must be more open to illness.

Its like saying people who can't wipe their ass are more likely to have something wrong with them

MikeRJ

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
what a load of rubbish! If people aren't cleaning their teeth then its obvious that they're not looking after themselves so must be more open to illness.

Exactly right, correlation does not imply causation!

coozer

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
My granny used to spend 8 hours a day cleaning her teeth... in a glass with some fizzy stuff at the side of her bed. The grim reaper probably took one look and said 'Ooo, not tonight pet'

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
It's old news - it's been known for years that a mouthful of bad teeth will result in bad health, even if the rest of the body is ok.

iank

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

But a good study can statistically eliminate that aspect if the sample is large and varied enough.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

James

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

"Then nurses collected information on medical history and family history of heart disease, took blood pressure and blood samples.

Taking into account factors that affect heart disease risk, such as social class, obesity, smoking and family history, the researchers found those who brushed twice a day were at a lower risk.

Those with poor oral hygiene also tested positive in blood samples for proteins which are suggestive of inflammation. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

GMPMotorsport

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if any one has ever done a survey into how much these stupid surveys cost?

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/5/10 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMPMotorsport
I wonder if any one has ever done a survey into how much these stupid surveys cost?

A lot of these "scientific studies" are student's projects - the university usually tries to claim the credit.

Either that, or it's sponsored by a pharmaceutical company - I wonder if this was paid for by someone like Lever Brothers! (who make famous brands of toothpaste, amongst other things).

James

posted on 28/5/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

A lot of these "scientific studies" are student's projects - the university usually tries to claim the credit.

Either that, or it's sponsored by a pharmaceutical company - I wonder if this was paid for by someone like Lever Brothers! (who make famous brands of toothpaste, amongst other things).

"The British Medical Journal study backs previous work showing a link between gum disease and heart problems. "

But it could also have been Proctor and Gamble (Oral B toothbrushes) or Colgate Palmolive (toothpaste).

Tim 45

posted on 28/5/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Having actually read the article they say that there is a link, even after adjustments for socio-economic groups, dental visits etc, however their study does not find the cause of the link. Assumiingly this was a feasability study and the cause will be focussed on in later studys.

One suggested route is that since periodontal diseases - like gingivitis, are the most common disease in the UK and number 1 cause of tooth loss, that there is a strong correllation between the chronic inflammation occuring at the gums and the higher risk of cardiovascular disease.

In addition, there were no conflicts of interest in the study, and the funding was from british heart foundation, national institute of ageing and the scottish executive.

If anyones interested, heres the link

Minicooper

posted on 28/5/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
As a chronic heart disease sufferer, inflamation of the gums, root canal toxicity and other dental factors are possible indicators of potential heart disease and they are one of the things that are checked at regular health reviews.
The survey is sensationlised by the press once again to suggest cleaning your teeth regularly will stop heart attacks, read the survey and you will find that is not so.

David

MikeRJ

posted on 28/5/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I wonder if they could do a stupid survey to determine just how stupid these surveys are

News just in! A survey has shown a link between the amount a person eats and their state of health. Experiments showed that 100% of subjects who were given no food at all became ill and eventually died. Scientists suggest that to stay healthy you eat as much food as possible.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.