Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone used a rotovator?
richard thomas

posted on 1/6/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone used a rotovator?

Looking to turn over my front and rear gardens prior to turfing them. Initially though of digging up the existing grass, but it's a big job - already removed the bulk of the shrubs/bushes/tree stumps etc...

Anyone know if a rotovator will cut through existing lawn, or just skid over the top?

blakep82

posted on 1/6/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
i used one last year on my garden, same thing, tuning it over to help flatten it out and dig a pond etc.
not sure if i was using it right, but it wanted to just drive over the top, i had to really use all my weight to hold it back to make it dig in. once the top layer was broken it worked a lot better

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jossey

posted on 1/6/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
i have used one i got from jewsons for a day.

its great until you find rocks or routes then it throws you around like a doll strapped to a rally car.

i turned over my whole garden 50m x 10m in 1 day. but i suggest get rid of any stones first.

Buy sand if your going to grass it and spread over top soil and mix in with rotavator.

good luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what sort. We had a 60yr old 2 stroke monster which would plough through anything (including buried bricks) with no worries.

The cheap modern lightweight ones are harder work though.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Agriv8

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I did my garden with a monster one and took 2 to hold it back for the first cut.

Strongly suggest you dig out any dandylions before you start.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
As already said, they work if they are man enough but be prepared for a serious workout! And hang on!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

emsfactory

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
depends on the machine.
I have an oldy but a goody.
Just add a few inches to the depth each time and you should be fine. They can be a bit skittish breakin through in the first instance though.
It took me about 4 passes to get to full depth on my plot. It had been unused for about 10 years. That was then down about a foot.

BenB

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hang on and as said get rid of any perinial weeds first because if you chop bindweed, couch grass, marestail etc etc into a thousand pieces you'll regret it in a years time
Andi

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I used to rotovate for a living. I used a Ferrari rotovater.. (probably the only Ferrari ill ever drive).

It was a scary beast, even after years of using it.
If your machine is not quite up to the job, give the ground a good soaking first.

v8kid

posted on 1/6/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I hired a 4 wheeled sit on one a bit like a minitractor when we built the house. Only £20 dearer and it was no effort at all. I rotovated 0.5 acre in the morning and drank beer in the afternoon.

Happy days!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 1/6/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't bother with one and just drank beer all day.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

richard thomas

posted on 1/6/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Smiths toolhire down the road do one that looks purposeful for £31 per day or £40 per weekend...no contest seeing as I was looking to buy one on fleabay and was aghast at the prices!

Any tips on prep for turf laying? I have given the weeds a good sousing with Roundup then Weedol....hope that will see them off? The existing grass I was hoping to rotovate into the ground...

norfolkluego

posted on 1/6/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Smiths toolhire down the road do one that looks purposeful for £31 per day or £40 per weekend...no contest seeing as I was looking to buy one on fleabay and was aghast at the prices!

Any tips on prep for turf laying? I have given the weeds a good sousing with Roundup then Weedol....hope that will see them off? The existing grass I was hoping to rotovate into the ground...

Depends on the soil you've got, if it's heavy clay you need somethime to break it up, lime if I remember. If it's dry sandy soil (particularly on a slope) you need something to retain moisture, compost or something similar.

[Edited on 1/6/10 by norfolkluego]

richard thomas

posted on 1/6/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty good soil so far as I can make out...quite sandy - near to the sea here - but looks dark in colour, almost the colour of potting soil.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.