Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy R1 geometry setting
silky16v

posted on 4/6/10 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy R1 geometry setting

Hi had a search on here but can't seem to find what i need

i have a MK Indy R1 powered roading running on 15" alloys and uses Sierra upright and indepedant rears

was out in it last night and found it felt very skippy un-stable when turning in at high speed.
the previous owner has had all the arms powder coated painted so it'll will need setup again no doubt.

would i be right in thinking that a good base setting would be 1deg neg camber all round and about 10 deg of toe-in

caster i'm not 100% certain on so need some advice here

any info or help would be appricated please

A1

posted on 4/6/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
you want to get it set up neutrally first, then get it changed to suit your driving.
Right now my settings are:
front caster- +5'23
camber- -1'21
toe- 0'00

rear camber- -1.36
toe- 0'05

thats a really nice neutral set up to start on. im thinking i maybe want about 1 deg toe out on the front with around 2.5 deg camber

Frosty

posted on 4/6/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
The skippy feeling at high speed is probably down to the front springs. The MK-supplied springs are 350lb at the front from memory, which will give you a very high front frequency.

The settings A1 has suggested look very sensible to me. Around a degree of negative camber is a good start. Be sure to add driver (or driver and passenger depending on how you drive most) weight when you set the car.

Camber will change when you load up the car with occupants, so best to do it loaded. If you don't, the camber you have when you drive will be different.

I also like to free off the wishbone bushes, bounce the car to free them, and then tighten them with the car loaded.

If you still feel the car is skipping at high speed, check for bush binding, and if that all seems ok, lower the front spring rate.

CNHSS1

posted on 4/6/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty
The skippy feeling at high speed is probably down to the front springs. The MK-supplied springs are 350lb at the front from memory, which will give you a very high front frequency.

The settings A1 has suggested look very sensible to me. Around a degree of negative camber is a good start. Be sure to add driver (or driver and passenger depending on how you drive most) weight when you set the car.

Camber will change when you load up the car with occupants, so best to do it loaded. If you don't, the camber you have when you drive will be different.

I also like to free off the wishbone bushes, bounce the car to free them, and then tighten them with the car loaded.

If you still feel the car is skipping at high speed, check for bush binding, and if that all seems ok, lower the front spring rate.

/\ /\ he speaketh the truth

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

PAUL FISHER

posted on 4/6/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Also,if the wishbones have been removed for powder coating and refitted,just ensure the top ones have been fitted the correct way/side round,as its easy done,and also makes them unstable a high speed.
daniel mason

posted on 4/6/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
good to see you back on the forum mate! hope your new kit is a good one and you were not in any way affected by the crazy gun man yesterday!

[Edited on 4/6/10 by daniel mason]

Jubal

posted on 4/6/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
It's my old car and it has 175lbs front springs IIRC. Silky - I have found the old setup sheet. This was as good as it ever was in my hands when setup as per below:

silky16v

posted on 5/6/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's my old car and it has 175lbs front springs IIRC. Silky - I have found the old setup sheet. This was as good as it ever was in my hands when setup as per below

thanks for that but apon checking the front springs it say 250 x 1.9 so i'm guess they ain't the same ones but can't see any reason why John would have changed them

i'm pretty sure the arms are the right way round after looking at others on here, i think also my other BEC had a quick rack in it so thats what maybe feels very different

Jubal

posted on 5/6/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, on reflection it may be 250lbs on there. Anyway, if it's any help with your handling issues here's a vid from when I had it. That's a 500bhp porker being chased down. It was handling ok apart from a touch of understeer. The lack of quick rack makes a huge difference BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL0gYxNVLi8

silky16v

posted on 5/6/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
thanks i'm sure it just wants setup ithink i'll invest in a quick rack though as were i live around here it makes a big difference

i've set the front to 120mm and shocks to 6 clicks from anti-clockwise

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.