Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK indy prop clearance...
Bluemoon

posted on 4/6/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
MK indy prop clearance...

O.k. I have a problem with prop clearance. After 700miles I have found that the prop has catches on the driverside transmission tunnel at the gearbox end near the prop yoke. (only just 10mm scraped in the paint on the chassis tube). At this point the prop is 7mm from the tube. The other side as lots of clearance 15mm. No strange noises so I think this only happens very occasionally.

The problem is to keep the type 9 gearbox perpendicular to the diff flange (as required to keep the prop running in the correct way) means the bulge on the passengers side of the type 9 to be only 7mm away from the transmission tunnel... So the simple solution of displacing the gear box and engine 5mm or so towards the passanger side would leave only 2mm clearnace to the bulge to tunnel..

Have others had this problem??

I don't really want to fit the Westfield mount to stiffen the gearbox mount as this is not a direct replacement for the serria mount if I can help it. It seems there is not enough clearance in the tunnel??? Others seem to suggest I need 12mm of clearance, clearly I can't get that!

Ideas please????

Dan

daviep

posted on 4/6/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about the UJ's too much, moving the box 5mm isn't going to be a problem for them.

Davie

Bluemoon

posted on 4/6/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I wouldn't worry about the UJ's too much, moving the box 5mm isn't going to be a problem for them.

Davie

Humm, 5mm in 400mm (about the distance to the engine mounts) would be an angle of 0.7 degrees. I will have to check if that's in tolerance for the prop.. You may have a point from what I recall though the tolerance is surprising tight.

whitestu

posted on 4/6/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine did this, and even banged on the chassis with a Westfield mount, however I tried to line it up.

It turned out that the UJ MK had fitted on my modified prop was enourmous, and the only solution was either a new prop or chassis modifications.

In the end I went for the latter as it was less work.

I had something like 5mm clearance each side though.

Stu

RAYLEE29

posted on 4/6/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Im not sure what your worried about with the prop angle as you realy need it to run at an angle not directly inline as this would cause brinelling.
moving the tail of the box 5mm isnt going to hurt the prop at all, if your that worried take a look under the rear of a transit and see the angle the rear prop runs at.
sounds like you may need a stiffer rear mount and might be worth looking at the engine mounts to be sure they arent too soft.
looks tike you engine/box is moving across under acceleration so you need to move it over just slot the mount holes across.
also another thing make sure the prop has adequate movement in the sliding joint to allow the engine to move back or when it tries to push back it will have to go sideways causeing the problem you have.
hope ive made sense
Ray

Bluemoon

posted on 5/6/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RAYLEE29
Hi, Im not sure what your worried about with the prop angle as you realy need it to run at an angle not directly inline as this would cause brinelling.
moving the tail of the box 5mm isnt going to hurt the prop at all, if your that worried take a look under the rear of a transit and see the angle the rear prop runs at.
sounds like you may need a stiffer rear mount and might be worth looking at the engine mounts to be sure they arent too soft.
looks tike you engine/box is moving across under acceleration so you need to move it over just slot the mount holes across.
also another thing make sure the prop has adequate movement in the sliding joint to allow the engine to move back or when it tries to push back it will have to go sideways causeing the problem you have.
hope ive made sense
Ray

I can see what your saying but the axis of the gearbox and and diff end should still be parallel and not at an angle to each other, otherwise the result is vibration. Even with a live axle this should still be the case. According to linky they should be withing 0.5 degree. Off-cause the actually UJ angles can be huge...

The end result is I can only displace the engine sideways and this causes clearance issues with the gearbox!!

Dan

Added link

[Edited on 5/6/10 by Bluemoon]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.