Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exo car plumbing
smart51

posted on 8/6/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Exo car plumbing

Exo cars have no bodywork. Where do you plumb the brakes, wiring loom, handbrake cable and throttle cable? Is it OK to leave them "exposed" or will the man from VOSA want to see them covered up? How is it usually done?

bi22le

posted on 8/6/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know to be honest but down the transmission tunnel would be neat.

Im sure someone will be along shortly to give an informed answer!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

smart51

posted on 8/6/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning a mid engined single seater so it has no tunnel. I do need to get a brake pipe and a throttle cable to the back and a wiring loom to the front, plus 2 coolant hoses unless I put the rad at the back too. I may end up making a dummy transmission tunnel but that would look terrible.

Bluemoon

posted on 8/6/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
can't see a big issue so long as you meet the radius requirements (maybe for hot coolant pipes I could see a tester having a problem with, 100C plus a childs hand when parked up could be a problem.).. After all brake pipes/fuels lines/wiring run under the car exposed to everything.. Personally I'd like it to look neat so would construct a way of hiding them..
rallyingden

posted on 8/6/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
How about a non structural tube front to rear to carry lines & wiring, blend it in with design.

RD

minitici

posted on 8/6/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Or how about a structural centre tube

smart51

posted on 8/6/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
are you allowed to push wires down a chassis tube without clipping them every so often? I'm planning to have the battery at the front to improve weight distribution and could lose the cables down the chassis tubes. how about throttle cable or brake pipe?

blakep82

posted on 8/6/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
are you allowed to push wires down a chassis tube without clipping them every so often? I'm planning to have the battery at the front to improve weight distribution and could lose the cables down the chassis tubes. how about throttle cable or brake pipe?

i'm sure you can. the book says "All electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing and secured at intervals of at least every 300mm unless contained in a secure hollow component."

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 8/6/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
All my brake lines are braided and pvc coated (Russ Bost supplied) and cable tied to my chassis/wishbones with spiral wrap on bits that flex near the wheels.
Aluminium pipes run fron to rear and mounted in grommets through the bulkheads. Silicon hose used to link engine etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.